• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Tap & Go

waveyswirley

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2024
Messages
45
Location
Liverpool
My goodness, that's a ridiculous number of signs around the Merseyrail one.

Someone just needs to take 90% of those down and just put a big "Merseyrail pay-as-you-go validator ->" sign there instead rather than that mess.

Move the other signs to somewhere else.
I had the exact same thought when I was sat in the exact spot this photo was taken from! I nearly took a picture myself too
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,306
My goodness, that's a ridiculous number of signs around the Merseyrail one.

Someone just needs to take 90% of those down and just put a big "Merseyrail pay-as-you-go validator ->" sign there instead rather than that mess.

Move the other signs to somewhere else.
In fairness, most if not all of the signs can be individually justified, and some of them are safety/security related. And all credit for the TfW signage and card reader being on the side for the Wrexham line - and both TfW and Merseyrail signs explaining that you need to use the right card reader for your journey.

But yes, it does look a mess.
 

davp

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2015
Messages
173
In fairness, most if not all of the signs can be individually justified, and some of them are safety/security related. And all credit for the TfW signage and card reader being on the side for the Wrexham line - and both TfW and Merseyrail signs explaining that you need to use the right card reader for your journey.

But yes, it does look a mess.
I was there today. I agree with you. However connections between the two trains are often tight and the signs are only visible if you are at the Liverpool end of the trains. I suspect most passengers are regulars and know how things work, but there were no on board announcements about what to do on the incoming TfW service.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,385
I was there today. I agree with you. However connections between the two trains are often tight and the signs are only visible if you are at the Liverpool end of the trains. I suspect most passengers are regulars and know how things work, but there were no on board announcements about what to do on the incoming TfW service.
The Borderlands line usually relies on automated announcements but I always find the on board staff very approachable and visible and they should be able to address any queries.
 

davp

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2015
Messages
173
The Borderlands line usually relies on automated announcements but I always find the on board staff very approachable and visible and they should be able to address any queries.
The Borderlands service was late so the staff were concentrating on turning that service around quickly rather than helping anyone who wasn't sure about how to tap out or in.

The automated announcements were out of sync with where the train was (a station ahead).

The signage could and should be improved. Staff on the Borderlands service were obviously aware of the misaligned announcements and did nothing to mitigate that.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,385
The Borderlands service was late so the staff were concentrating on turning that service around quickly rather than helping anyone who wasn't sure about how to tap out or in.

The automated announcements were out of sync with where the train was (a station ahead).

The signage could and should be improved. Staff on the Borderlands service were obviously aware of the misaligned announcements and did nothing to mitigate that.
or you could just ask the staff during your journey?
 

Northerngirl

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2023
Messages
514
Location
Wirral
Is there any hints of a functional zone system yet, I still have yet to use tap other than very simple peak time to and from the same station, as i have zero trust in a system that does not publish its fairs, or is the miserable mess just going to continue
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
842
Location
Preston
Is there any hints of a functional zone system yet, I still have yet to use tap other than very simple peak time to and from the same station, as i have zero trust in a system that does not publish its fairs, or is the miserable mess just going to continue
It's the same zone system that has always existed; off-peak caps at the day saver, anytime at the weekly merseyrail only railpass
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,385
It's the same zone system that has always existed; off-peak caps at the day saver, anytime at the weekly merseyrail only railpass
Apart from Chester (for nonMetro) and missing railcards, are there any other issues?
 

vjm1975

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2010
Messages
92
Apart from Chester (for nonMetro) and missing railcards, are there any other issues?
Other than onboard staff don’t have the ability to check I’ve not had any issues with regards to cost. Never been more than £6.40 off peak, including making multiple journeys. Only issue for me now is needing to get Chester included as it a place I visit often. Feels a pain now having to get a ticket.
 

davp

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2015
Messages
173
or you could just ask the staff during your journey?
I'm not sure how someone is supposed to ask staff during a journey about a problem they are not yet aware of. In any case this isn't a staffing issue, it's about user experience of signage.
 
Joined
15 Oct 2020
Messages
35
Location
Formby, Liverpool
It's the same zone system that has always existed; off-peak caps at the day saver, anytime at the weekly merseyrail only railpass

I've found a copy of the zone map on the merseyrail website (in a tenuous link about tickets from Skelmersdale)
The map has been in use (Initially for Saveaway and Zone Tickets) since at least the 1980's (Although Zone G was added later)

zonal-map.jpg

https://www.merseyrail.org/tickets-passes/daily-travel/skelmersdale-train-link/
Merseyrail credit source as visitlancashire.com

I'm sure better maps exist that show the Zone E arrangement between Liverpool and Birkenhead.
 
Last edited:

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,385
I've found a copy of the zone map on the merseyrail website (in a tenuous link about tickets from Skelmersdale)
The map has been in use (Initially for Saveaway and Zone Tickets) since at least the 1980's (Although Zone G was added later)

View attachment 212310

https://www.merseyrail.org/tickets-passes/daily-travel/skelmersdale-train-link/
Merseyrail credit source as visitlancashire.com

I'm sure better maps exist that show the Zone E arrangement between Liverpool and Birkenhead.
Is Zone E still a thing?
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260927_230712_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20260927_230712_Chrome.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 10

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,614
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I assume you would need to be hypermobile to get the face of a watch to sit flat against a card reader?

Human wrists normally have about 160-180 degrees of rotation so this is perfectly easy to do, particularly as proximity readers don't require a perfect touch. If yours don't, either you've got some sort of injury (fair enough) or it might be worth talking to a doctor or physio about what can be done to improve your movement.

Plenty of people use Apple or Android watches to pay for TfL travel and at all manner of contactless payment terminals. This is not hypothetical, it's one of those many things that people say is infeasible on here but is actually in day to day use and has been for some years now.
 

Top