I've never felt that the Southport line "should" be Northern operated. Heaven preserve us from that fate! I admit that I've often noted how poor connections between Merseyrail and Northern are at Southport - it's very common to arrive on a Northern dmu from Wigan on time, at the very moment a Merseyrail emu pulls out, and the opposite is not rare either. Some may say that with a 15-minute frequency it doesn't matter, but a 3 minute connection would be feasible, especially between platforms 4 and 3. But this is a problem that might be solved by tweaking timetables, there is no need for common ownership. Merseyrail at present is , to my mind, a rose among thorns, surrounded by deadbeats like Northern and TfW. Please leave it alone and let it get on with the job it does well. And I've never had any trouble buying tickets for off-Merseyrail places at Southport, for example when using my Merseytravel pass to South Parkway or Chester and wanting a ticket from there, or a combination of day return to Parbold and GM Conc Wayfarer, for example if I planned to go to one station in Derbyshire, do a walk and then get a bus and return from another station. Merseyrail/Merseytravel also have a good record of station improvements, better than any other TOC in my opinion; the latest example being the much-needed lifts at Hillside, which are now being built. Northern has not done anything on the same scale.