Polarbear
Established Member
Not sure if this is in the correct section.
From 15 June, Merseyrail will cease to sell tickets on any of their trains. From that date, all stations, (including the four unstaffed stations it appears), will fall under the Merseyrail penalty fares area.
Merseyrail have recently installed ticket machines at Capenhurst & Bache & I assume they have also put these in at the other unstaffed stations as well. In addition, each of these stations now has what can best be described as an information point. These include a button & dispenser system for a "permit to travel" ticket, though as there is no mechanisim for making payment for this, these will be free of charge.
Helpfully, the new system has an automated annoucement built into it!
This seems to react when movement is detected on the platform. The speech is short but gets repeated every time you so much as sneeze on the platform.
Although the information on the ticket machines state that the "full range" of fares would be available from 1 June 2009, only a limited selection was available this morning when I checked the machine at Bache.
Bache did have a ticket machine for a while in BR days. It was eventually removed as it kept breaking down & being vandalised.
It will be interesting to see how the penalty fares are enforced after June 15, given 25 years of people being used to hopping on the train & buying on board or at the other end, (or indeed, not at all). For me, the penalty fares aspect is not being made terribly clear & I'm a regular traveller who takes the time to read the posters. Also, given the ticket machines have only been up & running for less than a month at the date of implementation of the full penalty fares scheme, I think a lot of people will inadvertently get caught out by this.
I think it's a good idea in principal, but I think there should have been a much longer lead time between providing a ticket issuing facility & the introduction of a strict PF system.
From 15 June, Merseyrail will cease to sell tickets on any of their trains. From that date, all stations, (including the four unstaffed stations it appears), will fall under the Merseyrail penalty fares area.
Merseyrail have recently installed ticket machines at Capenhurst & Bache & I assume they have also put these in at the other unstaffed stations as well. In addition, each of these stations now has what can best be described as an information point. These include a button & dispenser system for a "permit to travel" ticket, though as there is no mechanisim for making payment for this, these will be free of charge.
Helpfully, the new system has an automated annoucement built into it!
Although the information on the ticket machines state that the "full range" of fares would be available from 1 June 2009, only a limited selection was available this morning when I checked the machine at Bache.
Bache did have a ticket machine for a while in BR days. It was eventually removed as it kept breaking down & being vandalised.
It will be interesting to see how the penalty fares are enforced after June 15, given 25 years of people being used to hopping on the train & buying on board or at the other end, (or indeed, not at all). For me, the penalty fares aspect is not being made terribly clear & I'm a regular traveller who takes the time to read the posters. Also, given the ticket machines have only been up & running for less than a month at the date of implementation of the full penalty fares scheme, I think a lot of people will inadvertently get caught out by this.
I think it's a good idea in principal, but I think there should have been a much longer lead time between providing a ticket issuing facility & the introduction of a strict PF system.