• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail legacy fleet updates (Class 507/508)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kylestoast

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2024
Messages
56
Location
Lancashire
There is a 19:53 in Platform 2 currently, unsure on whether that would be 507003. If not it looks like its on 5B39 to North Depot
I think usually the diagram that does :38 departures changes to the :53 departures after the 18:53, and the one on the :53s then ends

The boards aren't showing the 19:53 as a 3 car so I would assume the above is what happened
 

simonmpoulton

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2011
Messages
217
Anyone knows where all the 507's are currently? I know that 507029 and 507018 are in Birkdale sidings and 507003 was doing the New Brightons today but I only saw one 507 in Birkenhead North depot when I went past it twice earlier couldn't catch the number unfortunately!
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
Anyone knows where all the 507's are currently? I know that 507029 and 507018 are in Birkdale sidings and 507003 was doing the New Brightons today but I only saw one 507 in Birkenhead North depot when I went past it twice earlier couldn't catch the number unfortunately!
507001, 007 and 023 are all inside Birkenhead North shed. The one closest to the front is 023, with 001 behind it on the same line and 007 in the next road along.
 

507016

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2024
Messages
183
Location
Liverpool
How long has 007 been out of action for? Last time I seen it out was about august around the Southport airshow
 

MR-507508

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2020
Messages
1,022
Location
North West
How long has 007 been out of action for? Last time I seen it out was about august around the Southport airshow
I have it down as last working in passenger service on 3rd August 2024, where it failed at Bootle New Strand working 2S14 (0921 from Hunts Cross). I don't believe it has worked in passenger service since to the best of my knowledge.
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
Anyone know if there are any 507s out this morning?
507003 is about to enter service on the West Kirby line, starting with part of the 07.51 service. I assume the 777 for this diagram has failed to start.

It doesn't look like the Southport six-car is running so just 003 for now I believe.
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
Following its West Kirby line work today, 507003 is now spending the evening on the New Brighton line. It commenced with the 19.53 rounder at Birkenhead North at 20.04 followed by the 20.53 circuit, then has the 21.53 and 22.53 left.

With services on this line halved tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if 003 is used.
 

Sam 76

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2021
Messages
499
Location
Southport.
Following its West Kirby line work today, 507003 is now spending the evening on the New Brighton line. It commenced with the 19.53 rounder at Birkenhead North at 20.04 followed by the 20.53 circuit, then has the 21.53 and 22.53 left.

With services on this line halved tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if 003 is used.
I’d expect it to be used and the 2 507s split into 3 cars to cover Southport diagrams. If there are any 8 or 6car trains tomorrow it will be outrageous given the timetable cuts
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
I’d expect it to be used and the 2 507s split into 3 cars to cover Southport diagrams. If there are any 8 or 6car trains tomorrow it will be outrageous given the timetable cuts
It wouldn't be outrageous at all. The paired workings are desperately needed because the Southport line carries far, far more passengers than the Kirkby or New Brighton lines. They often leave people behind when short-formed, whereas I doubt anyone will be on the New Brighton line tomorrow even with half the service.
 

MR-507508

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2020
Messages
1,022
Location
North West
Following its West Kirby line work today, 507003 is now spending the evening on the New Brighton line. It commenced with the 19.53 rounder at Birkenhead North at 20.04 followed by the 20.53 circuit, then has the 21.53 and 22.53 left.

With services on this line halved tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if 003 is used.
Suprised to see they used 507003 to work on New Brighton into the evening, given some 777s would have been freed early evening.

Have 018 and 029 stayed together and out to end of service on the Southport line?
 

WirralLine

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
527
Location
Wirral
777s have been being pulled in for inspection today due to a problem that's been found with the motors. The whole fleet needs inspecting - i assume 003 covered another diagram to allow more 777s to be checked.
 

simonmpoulton

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2011
Messages
217
Limited service on the New Brighton and Headbolt Lane lines tomorrow. Presume we might see some 507's out providing extra cover.
 

Sam 76

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2021
Messages
499
Location
Southport.
777s have been being pulled in for inspection today due to a problem that's been found with the motors. The whole fleet needs inspecting - i assume 003 covered another diagram to allow more 777s to be checked.
That’s not a good sign. Could get very ugly very quickly if multiple units have the same fault. :(
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
507003 not allocated at present. What a brilliant decision to cut service and not use an available 507. :rolleyes:
 

Sam 76

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2021
Messages
499
Location
Southport.
It wouldn't be outrageous at all. The paired workings are desperately needed because the Southport line carries far, far more passengers than the Kirkby or New Brighton lines. They often leave people behind when short-formed, whereas I doubt anyone will be on the New Brighton line tomorrow even with half the service.
That’s true regarding the New Brighton line. It’s more the Headbolt one I feel sorry for as they are very busy during the peaks.
 

jamesst

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Merseyside
507003 not allocated at present. What a brilliant decision to cut service and not use an available 507. :rolleyes:
There's an ever increasing amount of guards and drivers not trained on the 507s, it's a nightmare to diagram.
But with a high number of unit swaps expected today there's a high chance it'll be used at some point
 

cspotting_

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2024
Messages
39
Location
Crosby
There's an ever increasing amount of guards and drivers not trained on the 507s, it's a nightmare to diagram.
But with a high number of unit swaps expected today there's a high chance it'll be used at some point
Which is why some Merseyrail Guards and Drivers are supposed to be getting retrained. This is why you keep seeing the same guards and drivers on 507 subs. However if Merseyrail don’t follow on with the retraining, Its going to cause problems further down the line
 

Sam 76

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2021
Messages
499
Location
Southport.
Which is why some Merseyrail Guards and Drivers are supposed to be getting retrained. This is why you keep seeing the same guards and drivers on 507 subs. However if Merseyrail don’t follow on with the retraining, Its going to cause problems further down the line
I doubt they will do many given they have about 6 weeks left at the most :(
 

karlbbb

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2009
Messages
460
Which is why some Merseyrail Guards and Drivers are supposed to be getting retrained. This is why you keep seeing the same guards and drivers on 507 subs. However if Merseyrail don’t follow on with the retraining, Its going to cause problems further down the line
The trains have barely got a few weeks left before their lease ends and they become Coke cans.
 

jamesst

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Merseyside
Which is why some Merseyrail Guards and Drivers are supposed to be getting retrained. This is why you keep seeing the same guards and drivers on 507 subs. However if Merseyrail don’t follow on with the retraining, Its going to cause problems further down the line
No they're not and you see whoever is booked to work that diagram. Believe me I've been one of them.
If whoever is booked to work that diagram isn't 507 trained then the standbys get used. If they're already used that's where the issues come.
 

cspotting_

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2024
Messages
39
Location
Crosby
No they're not and you see whoever is booked to work that diagram. Believe me I've been one of them.
If whoever is booked to work that diagram isn't 507 trained then the standbys get used. If they're already used that's where the issues come.
I did have a feeling they couldn’t be bothered. This is what I was told anyway

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The trains have barely got a few weeks left before their lease ends and they become Coke cans.
The lease won’t end until the end of December, Not a few weeks time. I think they might even last longer than this because of even more faults being discovered on the trams
 

WirralLine

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
527
Location
Wirral
I did have a feeling they couldn’t be bothered. This is what I was told anyway

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


The lease won’t end until the end of December, Not a few weeks time. I think they might even last longer than this because of even more faults being discovered on the trams
It's not a case of being bothered, it's a case of no point. The new TMs aren't trained to operate doors for a start which isn't just a case of show them how to open/close and give the ready to start bell. Then there's everything else that comes with 507 familiarisation such as fault finding, train prep, evacuation, and so on and so on. It'd probably take a few weeks to train and sign off new TMs to work them with no proper dispatch training.

New drivers who arnt trained on them would require more time than the guards to be signed off on them.

I don't work for Merseyrail, but I do work for another TOC so timescales are rough estimate.

End of December is in 7 weeks..
 

jamesst

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Merseyside
It's not a case of being bothered, it's a case of no point. The new TMs aren't trained to operate doors for a start which isn't just a case of show them how to open/close and give the ready to start bell. Then there's everything else that comes with 507 familiarisation such as fault finding, train prep, evacuation, and so on and so on. It'd probably take a few weeks to train and sign off new TMs to work them with no proper dispatch training.

New drivers who arnt trained on them would require more time than the guards to be signed off on them.

I don't work for Merseyrail, but I do work for another TOC so timescales are rough estimate.

End of December is in 7 weeks..
I do work for them but you're spot on!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top