• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail legacy fleet updates (Class 507/508)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,194
140 is the next unit to go and will be leaving us this month. unsure on what date though.
How come some units are getting overhauls but others are not? I've seen units running around with mint condition bogies. Seems odd to be withdrawing units when there is no firm start date for the 777s.
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
How come some units are getting overhauls but others are not? I've seen units running around with mint condition bogies. Seems odd to be withdrawing units when there is no firm start date for the 777s.
They are only overhauling 507s now as they are planned to be kept longer than the 508s. IIRC 508120 was the last 508 to be overhauled in November 2021.

Unforgivable if you ask me to let these units go without immediate replacement, but frustratingly predictable.
 

142 007

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2017
Messages
32
Reported on a another group, 508140 is due to go for scrap, by rail, next Monday
 

warwickshire

On Moderation
Joined
6 Feb 2020
Messages
2,304
Location
leamingtonspa
Any further update on the move of 508140 to Newport?
I can't see any paths showing for any move on RTT.
Maybe no path to run them? Possible to many paths used for 67 testing and 197 to plan around? Or most likely the rog drivers are fully booked elsewhere on other duties ie 730 197 testing.
So maybe no spare drivers next week also. For move
 

8A Rail

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2012
Messages
1,351
Location
Mars
Just for clarification, has No 508140 been officially withdrawn, if so on what date please? Strangely I have not seen any other reports of this (possible) withdrawal on other forums or Gen groups also I accept there is always limited information / interest on the Class 507 and 508's units but this is only forum I have noted info on this particular unit. As I do not know the background or sources of some members on here, I am just asking / seeking clarification. Thank You.
 

MR-507508

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2020
Messages
1,022
Location
North West
Just for clarification, has No 508140 been officially withdrawn, if so on what date please? Strangely I have not seen any other reports of this (possible) withdrawal on other forums or Gen groups also I accept there is always limited information / interest on the Class 507 and 508's units but this is only forum I have noted info on this particular unit. As I do not know the background or sources of some members on here, I am just asking / seeking clarification. Thank You.
To the best of my knowledge its final working was on Monday 12th September working the 1934 Ormskirk to Liverpool Central, later that evening working ECS to Birkenhead North E.M.U.D. It has spent some time stabled at West Kirby in recent weeks.
508140 was always one of the units destined to be one of the first to be withdrawn (hence being one of the face mask livery units since Sept 2020). As reported previously, 508143 was withdrawn 25th May 2022, last working also on the Ormskirk line (2347 from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk)
 

L401CJF

Established Member
Joined
16 Oct 2019
Messages
1,486
Location
Wirral
Could someone clarify if the following are still in service or have been scrapped please?

507010
507020 (did this have fire damage a few years ago?)
507031
508104

Those are the only 507/508 I require for haulage.
All still in service. All recently overhauled too so are pretty safe for the time being. Can't confirm current locations though I'm afraid!
 

MR-507508

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2020
Messages
1,022
Location
North West
Could someone clarify if the following are still in service or have been scrapped please?

507010
507020 (did this have fire damage a few years ago?)
507031
508104

Those are the only 507/508 I require for haulage.
Yes, all four still in service.
507020 had fire damage (I think early 2018) due to ice related issues/arcing early morning (on Kirkby line if I remember correctly), sorted pretty quickly and back in service again.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
All still in service. All recently overhauled too so are pretty safe for the time being. Can't confirm current locations though I'm afraid!

Yes, all four still in service.
507020 had fire damage (I think early 2018) due to ice related issues/arcing early morning (on Kirkby line if I remember correctly), sorted pretty quickly and back in service again.

Many thanks to both.
 

142 007

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2017
Messages
32
Reported on another forum, 508140 has been re planned, again, to be taken away next Sunday night
 

Wezz

Member
Joined
7 Aug 2019
Messages
174
Location
Liverpool, UK
Apparently 140 will leave on Sunday, unsure on what time though

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Are Merseyrail confident of bringing the new trains in soon then? Maybe the deal for drivers is closer than thought ?
driver training has begun, so it shouldn't be long until 777 units start entering service.
 

8A Rail

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2012
Messages
1,351
Location
Mars
The MD himself confirmed that drivers are currently being trained.

MD of who though? Clearly he has not spoken to members of ASLEF then! NO driver training until agreement has been reached to actually drive the Class 777 including most importantly, method of operation of arrival and departure to / from stations.
 

Sam 76

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2021
Messages
499
Location
Southport.
MD of who though? Clearly he has not spoken to members of ASLEF then! NO driver training until agreement has been reached to actually drive the Class 777 including most importantly, method of operation of arrival and departure to / from stations.
Do we know how far along this is ? If they are still saying this year then an agreement must need to be reached soon to say the least

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

In terms of the 507/508’s as well I wonder how long Merseyrail think they can keep running a full service ? Especially if units are now going it seems we will be pretty short very quickly
 

Wezz

Member
Joined
7 Aug 2019
Messages
174
Location
Liverpool, UK
Do we know how far along this is ? If they are still saying this year then an agreement must need to be reached soon to say the least

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

In terms of the 507/508’s as well I wonder how long Merseyrail think they can keep running a full service ? Especially if units are now going it seems we will be pretty short very quickly
The 508's will be the first to go as no 508 units are being overhauled now, the 507's are still recieving overhauls for the time being.

As it stands there are enough units to run a full service into next year, Stadler and Merseytravel are aiming to get some 777's into traffic by the end of this year, unsure on exactly what date or month though.
 

MR-507508

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2020
Messages
1,022
Location
North West
Reported on another forum, 508140 has been re planned, again, to be taken away next Sunday night
Paths now on RTT for 508140 movements for scrapping at Newport.
Scheduled to leave Birkenhead North E.M.U.D. Sunday evening at 2255 to Crewe South Yard, then I believe onto Newport Monday morning from there.


 

L401CJF

Established Member
Joined
16 Oct 2019
Messages
1,486
Location
Wirral

TheSel

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2017
Messages
1,169
Location
Southport, Merseyside
Paths now on RTT for 508140 movements for scrapping at Newport.
Scheduled to leave Birkenhead North E.M.U.D. Sunday evening at 2255 to Crewe South Yard, then I believe onto Newport Monday morning from there.

Possibly this - on Tuesday morning?


Attached, in happier times, leaving Rice Lane (my picture)
 

Attachments

  • 508140 - Rice Lane.jpg
    508140 - Rice Lane.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 120

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,194
Possibly this - on Tuesday morning?


Attached, in happier times, leaving Rice Lane (my picture)
Nice photo. It's probably one of the most photographed 507/508 in 2022 as it was on the BLS tour back in March with 508141 in March. By chance I saw it late August paired with 508141 again on the Southport line. Two days earlier I rode on it to West Kirby.
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
508140 did indeed take its leave of the Merseyrail network in last night's steady rain. A few bits were robbed such as light fittings to keep the others going. This one was slightly sombre as 508140 was one of my favourite 508s and it ended its days riding well unlike 508143 which was appalling.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top