• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Feet on Seats Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,657
Location
Merseyside
Thankfully I've never had any dealings with them. I do stand by my comments though as it is what I truly believe and I shall stick to that. I've never traveled without a ticket nor have I ever put my feet on the seats. Sadly though I have seem them come through the train in a very intimidating way, demand to see tickets and also misinform people of their rights. Yes, their job is very different to mine and at a much lower grade. Thankfully its a job I'll never have to do. I do wish, as I've stated that a more covert operation and/or with a more professional uniform would be better.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Camden

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2014
Messages
1,949
You admit never had any dealings with them, and I can't relate my experiences to what you claim to have seen. You might find the size of some of them intimidating, including if they are moving at speed through the train. You say you're not a fare dodger and I assume you're not a thug, so there's no need for you to be afraid of them. There is purpose in their method, and you reap the benefit of this every time you travel. Not that I think you deserve it.
 
Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,657
Location
Merseyside
Camden, you sound like a smart guy. But I suggest you just learn to keep to the topic at hand and please stop you childish and personal insults towards me. Its very rude and offensive. Yes, I have been very fortunate and smart in my line of work yes, and successful. But you will notice I have not actually singled out any specific individual with my comments and I respectfully suggest do the same. I am more then happy for us to have a difference of opinion but there is a professional and assertive way of stating such.
 
Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
But you will notice I have not actually singled out any specific individual with my comments and I respectfully suggest do the same.

No, you just made a sweeping (childish and rude) generalisation towards those employed in a certain role whilst perched atop your lofty thoroughbred.

If you can't stand the heat........
 

Camden

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2014
Messages
1,949
It still needs to be implemented in a better way then the status quo. (i.e. not sending the heavies, aka under achievers on a power trip, though the train)

This is what I would call rude and offensive, and I think anyone in that line of work reading that particular comment would have every right to feel singled out, and it is certainly not what I would like to have written about me. If you don't like to feel belittled, don't belittle others as there is always going to be someone "more important" than you. I hope you take that point.

As to staying on topic, here is the OP
I was wondering if someone could help me, a 15 year old friend of mine was travelling on Merseyrail for the first time this morning and he accidently put his feet on the seat in front of him and unfournatly for him he got court by 2 Merseyrail enforcement offices who took down his details, the thing is he's quite worried and upset as he's never done it before and he's wondering what will happen next so I was wondering if someone in the know on here could help me in someway to explain to him what's going to happen next as I know he doesn't want a criminal record.

If it helps the enforcement officer said she wasn't going to caution or arrest him as he was under age

The OP has been answered so I suggest it's time to end this thread.
 
Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,657
Location
Merseyside
Leaving the personal stuff aside (children). :) lol

I think this thread has raised issues about the whole issue of feet on seats and how it is dealt with on Merseyrail, (rightly or wrongly) and how perhaps it is not enforced at all on other TOCs on the rail network. It is an issue that needs dealing with. Its just a shame that it's come to this.

Earlier on in the thread someone said something about Merseyrail asking minors to attend with their parents at Rail House, Liverpool. Has any one any experience of this and the course such meetings normally take?
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Recently on the way into work a chap had his feet on the seat and I politely asked him to remove them (I am staff on the TOC) he looked at me with disdain and looked away.

I asked THREE time politely to remove them and he just got more abusive telling me to F-off.

I got my phone out to check the time and he told me to "take a f-ing photo if you want. I don't f-ing care".

He looked quite smart in his Hilton Hotel uniform. Being polite doesn't always work.

I wish there was proper bye-laws for feet on seas especially as some of the building site personnel's boots are covered in all sorts of mud etc.
 
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Send it to his employer. Disgusting behaviour.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
I wish there was proper bye-laws for feet on seas especially as some of the building site personnel's boots are covered in all sorts of mud etc.

There is a byelaw stating no person shall soil any part of the railway.
 

timbo58

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2013
Messages
175
I agree with bb21 you should have taken a photo and sent it to his employer.

Depending on how Hilton believe staff should represent the company whilst in recognisable clothing he could be construed as bringing his employer into disrepute - a potential gross misconduct offence (i.e. the sack, without further warning).

What a prick though!
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
I agree with bb21 you should have taken a photo and sent it to his employer.

Depending on how Hilton believe staff should represent the company whilst in recognisable clothing he could be construed as bringing his employer into disrepute - a potential gross misconduct offence (i.e. the sack, without further warning).

What a prick though!

I'm sure the hotel would be far from impressed at such behaviour whilst wearing their uniform.

Unfortunately your last sentence portrays you as a similar sort of character:oops:
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,237
Thankfully I've never had any dealings with them. I do stand by my comments though as it is what I truly believe and I shall stick to that. I've never traveled without a ticket nor have I ever put my feet on the seats. Sadly though I have seem them come through the train in a very intimidating way, demand to see tickets and also misinform people of their rights. Yes, their job is very different to mine and at a much lower grade. Thankfully its a job I'll never have to do. I do wish, as I've stated that a more covert operation and/or with a more professional uniform would be better.

Can I just point out that on most Merseyrail services the stations are rather close together. So one can hardly blame them for moving quickly through the train and - perhaps - appearing a little curt. Appearing at one end of the carriage to announce "Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Could you prepare tickets and passes for inspection please?" is going to give half the ticketless scrotes time to exit at the imminent next stop!

And I'm sure they would be happy to forego their cameras if they could be sure that they wouldn't be spat on or assaulted (or themselves be accused of assault) by some of their clientele.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,657
Location
Merseyside
Appearing at one end of the carriage to announce "Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Could you prepare tickets and passes for inspection please?"

Oh dear, we're not talking about ticket checks here. Thankfully the RPIs are not quite as bad as those people in the hi viz jackets.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,955
Location
UK
Why not do that 'we are about to do an inspection, get tickets ready' announcement before calling at a station where the next train is ages, or where you've arranged a block?

Then don't even bother to do a check!
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,843
Oh dear, we're not talking about ticket checks here. Thankfully the RPIs are not quite as bad as those people in the hi viz jackets.
That will be the ones you have never had any dealings with? Another sweeping generalisation.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,988
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Grandad and small boy (nearly 3 - I asked) on train from Liverpool Central to Bootle New Strand today. Lad was put standing on the seat by grandad, so he could see out of the window, while grandad sat next to him. Lad proceeded to scuff his shoes all over the fabric for the entire journey, as he appeared on brief acquaintance to be one of those hyperactive children.

When lad showed off his new shoes to me (I was sitting opposite), I took the opportunity to say "very nice, but they shouldn't really be on the seat" (it was one of the newly refurbed trains too) grandad just smiled a bit vacantly, as if he didn't know what I meant.

It's a losing battle :( .
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Why not do that 'we are about to do an inspection, get tickets ready' announcement before calling at a station where the next train is ages, or where you've arranged a block?

Then don't even bother to do a check!

Just grip them on the platform :lol:
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,657
Location
Merseyside
That will be the ones you have never had any dealings with? Another sweeping generalisation.

What a silly thing for you to say and really not helpful to this thread.

I've not said for one moment I've never had a dealing with a RPI on here. Oh course I have had dealings with the RPIs on Merseyrail, given I travel with them on a regular basis and have had my ticket checked.

Sadly, I did have one tell me my ticket was invalid because it was an off peak ticket and I was not traveling after 9.30am. Rubbish given that Merseyrail was not the fares setter and travel on the said ticket was permitted before 9.30am. He said he needed to issue a PF. I explained that my ticket was valid but he insisted and then get another RPI involved, a woman who just backed him up. It was only when a third one came over and looked at my ticket and said: "this is fine. Sorry about that mate."
 

timbo58

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2013
Messages
175
I'm sure the hotel would be far from impressed at such behaviour whilst wearing their uniform.

Unfortunately your last sentence portrays you as a similar sort of character:oops:

eh?
Because I think he is verily a prick that makes me the very type that would besmirch mine employer and place my footwear upon the railway seats?

Doesn't compute I am afraid, but if that's all you can find wrong with my opinion I'll consider it justified.
 

John h01

New Member
Joined
18 Jul 2016
Messages
1
Location
Merseyside
I was wondering if someone could help me, a 15 year old friend of mine was travelling on Merseyrail for the first time this morning and he accidently put his feet on the seat in front of him and unfournatly for him he got court by 2 Merseyrail enforcement offices who took down his details, the thing is he's quite worried and upset as he's never done it before and he's wondering what will happen next so I was wondering if someone in the know on here could help me in someway to explain to him what's going to happen next as I know he doesn't want a criminal record.

If it helps the enforcement officer said she wasn't going to caution or arrest him as he was under age

You will probably have to go to rail house and he will get a telling off he is too you young to prosecute

If you are approached by these byelawofficers you don't need to give details for feet on seats its a civil matter and they are security and can not detain you the only time you can get detained is for not paying your tickets they use the caution to interview you but you can legally walk off

Merseyrail should use proper officers to enforce byelaws not security officers on a 2 day course who think and act as though they are police
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
If you are approached by these byelawofficers you don't need to give details for feet on seats its a civil matter and they are security and can not detain you the only time you can get detained is for not paying your tickets they use the caution to interview you but you can legally walk off

Not wishing to continue the resurrection of this thread, but I'm afraid you will find that under Byelaw 23 (found at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/4202/railway-byelaws.pdf ) you can be required by law to provide your name and address should an authorised person suspect you of breaching the Byelaws.

I could go on, but I will leave it at the following: please do not believe any myths touted by those wishing to dismiss the authority of those employed by the railway, and make sure the advice you post is correct.
 

Phil.

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2015
Messages
1,323
Location
Penzance
I do love the word 'accidentally' . I get trains full of folks who do that, and then when I walk off they 'accidentally' go back up.:roll:

As for your friend, its just more than likely a basic caution, or ASB warning. If he 'accidentally' does it again and is caught again, more might come of it.

I take your point but speaking as someone of 6' 3" it's quite easy to find your shoe soles on the seat opposite if crossing one's legs. I'm not trying to excuse feet on seats, just saying....
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I take your point but speaking as someone of 6' 3" it's quite easy to find your shoe soles on the seat opposite if crossing one's legs. I'm not trying to excuse feet on seats, just saying....

This is true, but it is your responsibility (and mine, I'm tall) to ensure that you don't, or don't cross your legs in that way.
 

Master29

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
1,970
Accidently is a poor choice of word. As others have said how can you ```accidentally``` put your feet on a chair. Lets be honest here, people do it all the time and it`s just slobbish.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
John h01 - welcome to the forum. Please note tsr is correct. I have sent you a PM.
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,582
Accidently is a poor choice of word. As others have said how can you ```accidentally``` put your feet on a chair. Lets be honest here, people do it all the time and it`s just slobbish.
I do, accidentally, place my feet against seats on occasion because of my height (6'6"). I also accept that the onus is on me to be aware of where my feet are, and to adjust my posture accordingly.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top