• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail fares should be reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

87031

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2009
Messages
356
Moderator note: split from

My big gripe with Merseyrail is the fares though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FrontSideBus

On Moderation
Joined
11 Feb 2025
Messages
451
My big gripe with Merseyrail is the fares though.

I dunno, I think the all-zone day saver is probably one of the best deals in the country?
Unlimited travel on trains, busses and ferry for just £6.50?
 

87031

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2009
Messages
356
I dunno, I think the all-zone day saver is probably one of the best deals in the country?
Unlimited travel on trains, busses and ferry for just £6.50?
Peak singles are another thing all together, eye watering
 
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
254
Peak (anytime) singles are 20p less than the day return, and there are no period returns. The latter makes using Merseyrail as a feeder into an overnight trip look pretty expensive if you can't get a through ticket.

Some zonal tickets are excellent value because they cover huge distances, and some are terrible because they only cover a few stops (B2, C2). This is a consequence of zones designed for bus fares, and on the assumption of radial commuting to Liverpool.
 

urban

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2024
Messages
30
Location
Liverpool
I often only need to buy a single as I'll be getting home by bus/taxi/getting picked up. Some silly fares like £3.95 for James Street to Hamilton Square single (a 3 minute journey). Just punishes anyone who dares to travel one way only, I hoped that with Tap and Go we'd see some reform of the fares.
 

87031

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2009
Messages
356
although I can't imagine that many passengers will be using this ticket type
If you are making a one way journey on the day and not coming back then i think you might be surprised how many people do if you are staying overnight somewhere connecting to national rail etc.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,426
If you are making a one way journey on the day and not coming back then i think you might be surprised how many people do if you are staying overnight somewhere connecting to national rail etc.
The vast majority of passengers on Merseyrail will be travelling with a) a free pass e.g. 60+/disability b)a season ticket c)Saveaway or Day Saver d) a return ticket e)capped Tap and Go
 

urbophile

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2015
Messages
2,482
Location
Liverpool
The vast majority of passengers on Merseyrail will be travelling with a) a free pass e.g. 60+/disability b)a season ticket c)Saveaway or Day Saver d) a return ticket e)capped Tap and Go
In which case the management are not going to gain very much from expensive singles. Might as well make them half the price of returns.
 

Polarbear

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2008
Messages
1,927
Location
Birkenhead
As one of those holding a +60 pass for Merseyside, I would still have to pay if I wanted to start a weekday journey between 06:30 and 09:30. Given that bus fares are currently £2 (though I believe these are to be increased in Merseyside in the near future), I'd usually opt for the bus in any case.

One of my work colleagues travels from Ainsdale & she had a blue fit when she had to fork out for a single on one occasion. She has since got her husband to drive her in.

I assume there must be a market, but I can't see it being a huge one.
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
I agree with "358" that fares on Merseyside are far, far cheaper than here in the South East.
It costs more than £6,50 just to park your car for a day at my local station or town car park.
Normal bus fare (not £3 cap) of around £4 would take you about 2 miles.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,815
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
In which case the management are not going to gain very much from expensive singles. Might as well make them half the price of returns.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't as part of the contactless implementation. Unless you have a Railcard, it's often cheaper off peak to buy a day ticket for one journey.

It is probably just conservatism.
 

FrontSideBus

On Moderation
Joined
11 Feb 2025
Messages
451
I had to travel from Liverpool Central to Chester. A single would have cost me over £9. How does that work when an All Zone Day Saver is £6.50???
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,815
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I had to travel from Liverpool Central to Chester. A single would have cost me over £9. How does that work when an All Zone Day Saver is £6.50???

The Day Saver is an off peak product. The higher Anytime Day Singles are for peak sale (or Railcard discount). If the Daysaver is cheaper, just buy that!
 

FrontSideBus

On Moderation
Joined
11 Feb 2025
Messages
451
I do. Just seems a bit strange how a ticket that gives me the free roam of the network is cheaper than a single for a bit of it.
I wonder how much it would have charged to tap in & out.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,426
You can if you use a MetroCard.
Indeed. It is only an issue with contactless.

I would expect that anyone who uses public transport regularly in Liverpool City Region would have a MetroCard.

It is nothing to do with trying to rip people off but because Chester is a Transport for Wales station and their barriers are not yet compatible.

Personally, I think it was preferable to introduce contactless without Chester, rather than delay the whole project for an unknown length of time.
 

FrontSideBus

On Moderation
Joined
11 Feb 2025
Messages
451
I wont bother with a Metro card because I use the city line to get into Liverpool and then Merseyrail to other destinations.
An all zone day saver is still the best and cheapest option.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,815
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I wont bother with a Metro card because I use the city line to get into Liverpool and then Merseyrail to other destinations.
An all zone day saver is still the best and cheapest option.

You mean a Saveaway. Be sure to ask for it by its correct name or you might well end up with a Daysaver which has no City Line validity! :)

(Edit: I find even if named correctly and with a MetroCard being waved at them Merseyrail staff, both booking office and RPI, seem to like to misunderstand, almost as if it was wilful...)
 
Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,645
Location
Isle of Man
I wont bother with a Metro card because I use the city line to get into Liverpool and then Merseyrail to other destinations.
An all zone day saver is still the best and cheapest option.
I presume you mean the Saveaway, which unless it is bought from a Northern station has to be loaded to a MetroCard.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,426
I wont bother with a Metro card because I use the city line to get into Liverpool and then Merseyrail to other destinations.
An all zone day saver is still the best and cheapest option.
A Saveaway includes travel on the "City Line". A Daysaver doesn't.

If you are buying a normal return ticket on the City Line to get into Liverpool and THEN buying a Merseyrail ONLY Daysaver then you are paying far too much. Please tell me you aren't doing this?!
 

FrontSideBus

On Moderation
Joined
11 Feb 2025
Messages
451
Nope. One ticket for all. I get on at Rainhill. I even use it in the ferry! A bargain, even if they have put the price up to £6.70!
Just a return to Liverpool would be almost that!
 
Last edited:

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,426
Nope. One ticket for all. I get on at Rainhill. I even use it in the ferry! A bargain, even if the have out the price up to £6.70!
Just a return to Liverpool would be almost that!
Yes a fun meander around is:

Liverpool-ferry to Seacombe-bus to New Brighton-Wirral line train from there

Although I haven't seen confirmation that the open top bus is running in 2026, Saveaways were valid on it in 2025.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top