• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail "Badger Line" and "Tech system" do they still use use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
While on Youtube a video on Merseyrail fire safety video from 2004 popped up and I don't know why but I watched it. Two things caught my eye which are the "Badger Line" and the "Tech System". I was wondering if they still use them. Both are used in tunnels where radio signals don't work very well.

The Badger Line is a telephone line which the emergency services would plug their own self-powered phones in to communicate with emergency services workers at each level of the underground station. There is a link to show it in the video below.


The Tech system is for train drivers in the tunnel and involves attaching two clips to copper wires at the side of the tunnel to allow communication between the cab and the signal box. I assume if there is an emergency in the tunnel or if the train is waiting at a red signal where rule 55 would apply. Again here is a link to show it in the video below.


Obviously by modern standards both these are old bits of kit but I was wondering if either are still used?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wapping Dock

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2010
Messages
10
Location
Liverpool
Yes, the TEC system is still in use. You can see the TEC boards at the ends of the underground platforms on the Loop.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,691
Location
Hope Valley
TEC is Tunnel Emergency Communication system, I believe. Rather ‘basic’ and not very ‘tech’!
 

jamesst

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
1,373
Location
Merseyside
Both of them still there, whether you find a member of staff thats actually used them in the past 20yrs is a different matter!!
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,691
Location
Hope Valley
Is it similar to or the same as the London Undergrounds tunnel telephones system?
From my time on Merseyside (45 years ago now) I was told that it was essentially identical. Tripcocks too. Applying the insulated TET (Tunnel Emergency Tool) turned off the detection current in the wires, put on the tunnel lights and allowed you to clip on the TEC phone. I don’t recall it ever being used in ‘anger’ rather than training. Still got the book somewhere.
 

Ianigsy

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2015
Messages
1,348
The TEC Failure boards are certainly seen on a fairly regular basis!
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
842
Location
Preston
Interesting point in that is that the 777s don't have the TEC phones, only the emergency switch off tools.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Interesting point in that is that the 777s don't have the TEC phones, only the emergency switch off tools.

I read somewhere that they were installing Leaky Feeder into the Merseyrail tunnels which might be what is replacing the T.E.C system.
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
842
Location
Preston
I read somewhere that they were installing Leaky Feeder into the Merseyrail tunnels which might be what is replacing the T.E.C system.
It does also say that the T.E.C. phones in the 507/508s can be used as an alternative when GSM-R fails, so that must have been done at some point before the 2019 amendments. Presumably once the last of those go the phone parts will be decommissioned leaving it just as an isolation method.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top