• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Melton Mowbray - Sheringham Train Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyBro5676

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2015
Messages
6
I am new to this so I hope that I am posting this in the right forum.

I am currently going to do a train journey with my mum in the May holidays where I would like it to be exciting as possible.

06:53 Leave Melton Mowbray
08:58 Arrive at Wymondham
Have Brekfast at Station Bristo
10:16 Depart Wymondham
10:30 Arrive Norwich
10:45 Leave Norwich
11:28 Arrive Cromer
Visit Cromer Museum, RNLI Henry Blogg Museum, Pier and have Lunch
13:31 Leave Cromer
13:41 Arrive Sheringham
Visit Sheringham Museum
Heritage Train
May Holiday
15:30 Leave Sheringham Steam
15:55 Arrive Holt Steam
16:25 Leave Holt Steam
16:46 Arrive Sheringham Steam
Have fish and chips at Straits Fish Shop
17:49 Leave Sheringham Station
18:47 Arrive Norwich
18:57 Leave Norwich
19:48 Arrive Ely
20:15 Leave Ely
21:29 Arrive Melton Mowbray

This is the itinerary for the day where the first train I am catching is a parliamentary train where this train service even made the news in 2008 for being in a train crash at Barrow-Upon-Soar with 7 passengers aboard.

I will be able to do breaks on the line where I will have an anytime card and I would like your recommendations on this where I have never been to this area before and tell me what else there is and any advice!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I got a message about which forum it is meant to be posted in and I am thankful to the people who have done this and that I would be able to try and get use to this
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
I can't advise on the area but I can say there is a saving to be made by "splitting" at Peterborough, as identified by Trainsplit.com

This is because, like XC, EMT charge a premium for some longer distance journeys, which are charged at a higher rate than a combination of shorter journeys, I think longer distance passengers are seen as a 'cash cow' to be milked by some Train Companies.

Also your ticket inspector on the North Norfolk Railway could be one of our Quizmasters!
 

RyBro5676

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2015
Messages
6
that sounds very interesting and I hope that quizmaster might see this forum and give me some advice
 

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
Can't see you getting from the station (slightly out of the way, behind Morrisons*), to the pier and back via the museam in Cromer within 2 hours. Also be careful, as I don't think the museam opens on Mondays.
30mins is 31mins too long to spend at Holt in my opinion...
 

RyBro5676

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2015
Messages
6
Being there in Holt is just the train where I would have to wait 30 mins for the train to leave.

In Cromer, I don't know how long it would take me to go round the museum and I will just visit the pier and the RNLI Museum where I would just have a break and then get the train.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would officially have lunch at the old rock shop bistro in Cromer and dinner at the Sheringham Trawler and I would like to know if anyone has ever been to them and if you do, can you tell me what it is like and what are the prices.

P.S. I would also try some cromer crab dressed and can you tell me the best place to get it from.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Cromer is a surprising long way from Cromer station. As has been said you will been in one real rush, no way you could do all four, or even two of those, comfortably. Same for Sheringham really, its not as far as Cromer but it would still possibly be a bit of a rush.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the station bistro at Wymondham, its really not up to much (at least when I went). More recently it always seems to be one of those places visited only by persons of a certain age who like their food nice and soft and easy to chew!

Places you've missed, Hoveton & Wroxham, lovely town on the Broads, guided boat trips and hire a boat services. The walk from Cromer or West Runton to Sheringham is nice on a lovely day. And Ely, Ely is worth a look.

And anyway, one of your ticket inspectors on the proper railway might be me! ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top