• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megatrain tickets Preston to Glasgow Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

On Moderation
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
710
Location
Bamber Bridge
Last year I enjoyed a couple of the Megatrain offers from PRE to GLC using Virgin Trains and fancied another trip. I've just tried searching for similar tickets and can't seem to find any train journeys at all. There doesn't seem to be an option on the Megabus website to select 'Train' as the preferred option of travel.

I realise the WCML is closed at Lamington at the moment so tried Preston to Birmingham New Street to see if I got any train results. I just seem to return the bus journeys.

Am I missing something or are rail journeys no longer offered by Megabus anymore?

Thanks for any help.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,404
Location
Bedford
From the 10mins of research I've done, it seems that all WCML Megatrain fares have been pulled for the duration of the Lamington closure (and indefinitely currently, though likely will be reinstated once reopening date is set in stone).
 

Karl

On Moderation
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
710
Location
Bamber Bridge
Thanks Mike. I was just confused as to why there's no longer the option of selecting 'Train' in the website dropdown of 'Travelling by'. There just seems to be 2 choices now of 'All' or 'Bus'.

Aha! I've just tried a London to Southampton search and the train option does appear in the search boxes. It looks like there has to be a train journey for the option to appear. That probably explains my confusion.

Hopefully they'll be available later in the year as you suggest. I'll try again after the WCML reopens.

Cheers again.
 

ffm

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
856
Are megatrain cheaper that the TOC's own advance fares?? I can't see how, or why, this would be the case - but interested to find out
 

extendedpaul

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
706
Location
Caerphilly and Kent
It's quite easy to pay £1 for a Megatrain ticket once you understand their booking system. There are also sometimes more than one ticket available at that price unlike on the bus services.

Only Scotrail has matched that on TOC fares ;)

However the Megatrain price does sometimes increase to a figure higher than than an advance from the train operator
 

BlueFox

Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
764
Location
Carlisle
Last Tuesday (19th) I bought several Megatrain tickets from Carlisle, to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Warrington - most of them were £1. At the time I still though the line was due to reopen in February. Most of the tickets I bought are for February, some for early March.

Am I likely to have a problem using the Glasgow Megatrain tickets on the Virgin service via Kilmarnock?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,487
Location
Yorkshire
Are megatrain cheaper that the TOC's own advance fares?? I can't see how, or why, this would be the case - but interested to find out
Virgin don't sell Advance fares for £1, so yes the Megatrain fares are cheaper.
 

87007

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2013
Messages
38
Was on the Kilmarnock diversion yesterday and Megabus/train accepted- be good to see it back
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Last Tuesday (19th) I bought several Megatrain tickets from Carlisle, to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Warrington - most of them were £1. At the time I still though the line was due to reopen in February. Most of the tickets I bought are for February, some for early March.

Am I likely to have a problem using the Glasgow Megatrain tickets on the Virgin service via Kilmarnock?

I would expect your ticket to be honoured, by train or other modes of transport.

For confirmation, best tweet Virgin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top