• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megabus and London Vic coach station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
Hi all

Looking to do a couple of trips to London and travel back on the 0100 Megabus to Manchester each time. Got a couple of questions, is it generally easy to sleep on Megabus services? What are they are actually like? Are there sockets for charging things or not? I've not travelled on a coach in years.

And my other question, is there anywhere to wait at London Victoria Coach Station? Want to be there before the last tube trains go so will have an hour plus to kill.

Ta

Tom
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,103
Location
At home or at the pub
Hi all

Looking to do a couple of trips to London and travel back on the 0100 Megabus to Manchester each time. Got a couple of questions, is it generally easy to sleep on Megabus services? What are they are actually like? Are there sockets for charging things or not? I've not travelled on a coach in years.

And my other question, is there anywhere to wait at London Victoria Coach Station? Want to be there before the last tube trains go so will have an hour plus to kill.

Ta

Tom

Not been on a Megabus service so can't help there, but i have been many times to Victoria Coach Station, & you can wait at the stand the Coach will stop at.
 

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,383
Location
Wennington Crossovers
The coach station is open 24 hours and has toilets and a few food outlets but it's not the nicest place in the world to wait - it can be cold and has pigeons!
 

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,113
The coach should be 62 plate Plaxton Elite Interdeck, nice big coach, similar to a double decker, it is a Glasgow service, it has power sockets, it is booked long way round and a lot of stops, so be slow long journey, sleep ok if next seat empty, have good journey.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,761
Location
Yorkshire
I caught the 0100 to Leeds just before Christmas which, perhaps surprisingly, is the same service. It was one of the worst coach journeys I've ever made. But that wasn't entirely Megabus's fault.

It was about 2/3 full so some people had double seats to themselves. The coach was reasonably comfortable. If you can normally sleep on coaches you should be OK. Power socket useful.

And then the last person got on and sat next to me. He stank. The sort of stink you get if you haven't washed for months. He then spent as far as Loughborough nodding off and pressing his head onto my shoulder. Hard. This was alternated with headbutting my shoulder.

We were also 45 minutes late - this was down to the driver at the changeover at Leicester Forest East being late Southbound and having to complete his break to remain within legal driving hours.
 
Last edited:

howittpie

Member
Joined
11 May 2012
Messages
329
Have used that service regularly since it started. It does have power points and is usually an interdeck as stated but has also been a van hool decker in the past. It is usually full as far as Leeds due to the number of place it serves. It is ok to sleep on as long as you don't get the driver I had last time who decided to go over a speed hump in Rugby at full speed. There regularly seems to be a problem with late driver changeovers at Leicester Forest East theese days but I still find it better to sleep on than National Express.

On the note of VCS it does have inside area open for that coach but once the 0100 has departed passengers are forced to wait outside the terminal buildings and after about 11.30 there are no food places open.
 
Last edited:

trickyvegas

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
362
There is the Travellers Tavern across the road, which I've found better than the station for hanging around in. Last orders is 23.00 so you'de probably be able to nurse your last drink till about 23.30
 

afyutr

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2013
Messages
108
There's also a Wetherspoons around the other side of Victoria train station (15 min walk?) called the Willow Walk which is open till midnight.
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
Hi all

Is there a latest time a Megabus ticket can be booked? Looking at a last minute trip to London tomorrow. I also need to get an 2300 coach in that case tomorrow night, I'll be coming from Norbiton, I'm off to AFC Wimbledon v Hartlepool, is London Victoria train station to coach station an easy walk?

Ta

Tom
 

overthewater

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2012
Messages
9,136
Hi all

Is there a latest time a Megabus ticket can be booked? Looking at a last minute trip to London tomorrow. I also need to get an 2300 coach in that case tomorrow night, I'll be coming from Norbiton, I'm off to AFC Wimbledon v Hartlepool, is London Victoria train station to coach station an easy walk?

Ta

Tom

No, I have seen people booking tickets right up till the last min, why would anyone turn away customers ;)

I have even seen people trying to buy on the coach, at London vic, and being charged above inflation price if seats are going spare.
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
Excellent many thanks, now need to make the 0832 into Manchester in the morning or I'll be pushing it with a half hour connection if I get the 0955 train.

Should be fun :D
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
There is a Megabus ticket machine located at Victoria which I believe doesn't sell them at over inflated prices!
 

freetoview33

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
3,815
Location
West of England
I looked online at the last min a few days ago and tickets were normal price still but if you book on the day at Victoria it is about double price, as I found out the hard way once.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,761
Location
Yorkshire
No, I have seen people booking tickets right up till the last min, why would anyone turn away customers ;)

I have even seen people trying to buy on the coach, at London vic, and being charged above inflation price if seats are going spare.

It seems to vary by service - I think it depends when the last time a list can be given to the driver.

I've often noticed that you can't book London - Leeds or return on the day of travel.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
I've never noticed that and I travel with Megabus from Victoria Coach Station weekly. Where is it located ?

They are located in two places. One just left of the main entrance and another next to the main ticket office.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top