• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medicines that may prevent me applying for Trainee Driver roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr!ver

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2017
Messages
6
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some information which may (or may not?) prevent me from becoming a Trainee Train Driver.

I'm in my late 30's and due to personal reason, I became stressed and I went to my doctors who said my BP was higher than it should be. I was placed on Ramipril 5mg tablets and now my BP is back to where it should be. I will be reassessed in a few months to see if I can come off them or whether I need to remain on them for a bit longer.

Is Ramipril a medicine that the railway won't accept? I have no side effects with these tablets, and dieting as recommended by the quack. I'm not massively overweight but could do with a stone off.

Thanks for any advice before I apply (when vacancies become available) as I don't want to waste anyones' time and/or money if it's certain I wouldn't pass a medical.

Are hearing aid/s permitted also? (This isn't for me but for friend who is as keen as me to apply)

Regards,

James.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
29 Jan 2017
Messages
7
I am a qualified driver. I am on ramipril.
Hearing aids would mean a fail on the medical.
Hope that helps
 

Dr!ver

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2017
Messages
6
Many thanks for the info.

Hopefully I should be ok in a medical then if ramipril is permitted.

However, my friend is extremely gutted. Is it the same medical for a Conductor perhaps?

Cheers.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Ramipril isn't a drug that causes any problems that would impair your ability to drive a train, and hypertension is not a condition that would impede your ability to perform your duties in any way. So I'd be very surprised if you had any problems. Best of luck! :)
 

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,846
Hearing aids are not necessarily a fail. We have 2 station staff who have become drivers and wear hearing aids, they did fail the medical until they got railway approved hearing aids, then passed no problem. They are quite picky about the type of hearing aid although obviously you still need to meet a certain standard of hearing with them.
 

NickR

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
78
Yeah I failed my medical on my hearing last year with Thameslink and they told me to just get some hearing aids and I'd have a further assessment with an audiologist. Just waiting for them to arrange that at the moment.
 
Last edited:

scott118

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2015
Messages
928
Location
East Anglia
Hearing aids are accepted, providing they meet rail requirements. I know of at least two drivers, with different employers, who wear them.
 

ExMover

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2016
Messages
70
Blood pressure medication is definitely not a problem, even if you are a 'new entrant', as long as you've been on them a while and can therefore demonstrate that you are not suffering any side effects that might affect your driving duties such as drowsiness or fainting.

Hearing aids are not necessarily a blocker, we've got a couple of drivers at Derby that wear hearing aids.

Have a look at this - https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/gogn3655 iss 2.pdf
 

Dr!ver

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2017
Messages
6
Wow, thanks very much for the input. I feel much more at ease now regarding Ramipril. I've been on them 2 months now and drive for living with no side effects at all.

I'll show my friend the above information tomorrow. If I remember rightly, he has NHS digital Hearing Aid.

TOC's where we can apply to are First TPE & Northern Rail.

Many thanks, great community here.

Best,

James
 

Dr!ver

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2017
Messages
6
Is Omeprazole (20mg) a show stopper? I have these for excessive acid/heartburn. I suffer no side effects at all. If I forget to take one in the morning, the heartburn doesn't come back, unless I miss a few days consecutively. If I doissue one, I simply don't eat pastry products, spicy products or drink coffee.

Also my Ramipril is 2.5mg not 5mg as I posted before. Back at the doctors next week for a review on these.

Cheers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top