• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
I don't care if you have been vaccinated, I don't even care that as a result of you not getting vaccinated you get Covid and end up in hospital and die.

What I do care is if, because of the actions of those refusing to take the vaccine, infections, hospitalisations and deaths rise amongst the same group. This would result in the Government not continuing with the roadmap. OK easy to blame to Government if that happened but those who have made the choice not to take the vaccine will bear some responsibility. Choices lead to consequences. The Government has a duty to protect the health of all citizens regardless of their choices whether it be refusal to take vaccine, decision to smoke cigarettes etc.

I agree that the media messaging regarding fear and I as much as anybody want to get out of this thing and return to normal on 21st June.

In reality it's not a problem though is it? Vulnerable people who haven't been vaccinated (and some of those who have for that matter) will contract covid and some will die but not in any great number. Covid deaths currently make up a tiny fraction of all-cause hospitalisations and deaths and there's simply no precedent for continuing with restrictions based on these statistics. For all of the (media led) panic over 'scariants' they're nothing to worry about, there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that this virus will, or even could, mutate into something more dangerous. In fact there's a greater risk of flu doing so, and nobody gives that a second thought.

May I suggest you refrain from saying things such as "I don't even care that as a result of you not getting vaccinated you get Covid and end up in hospital and die" as it doesn't help get your point across and is a little unpleasant. I get that you're angry and frustrated, we all are (well, most of us anyway) but direct your anger towards those who are REALLY imposing these restrictions on us all.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWM

Established Member
Joined
26 Mar 2010
Messages
4,965
Location
Ely
I don't care if you have been vaccinated, I don't even care that as a result of you not getting vaccinated you get Covid and end up in hospital and die.

To be blunt, no-one is asking you to care.

What I do care is if, because of the actions of those refusing to take the vaccine, infections, hospitalisations and deaths rise amongst the same group. This would result in the Government not continuing with the roadmap. OK easy to blame to Government if that happened but those who have made the choice not to take the vaccine will bear some responsibility. Choices lead to consequences. The Government has a duty to protect the health of all citizens regardless of their choices whether it be refusal to take vaccine, decision to smoke cigarettes etc.

You're giving the government far too much power with this statement. They should give information, and options, and offer treatments when they are useful. But they should not shut down the whole of society (and indeed ought not to be able to do so) because people aren't doing precisely what they want.
 

Ascotroyal

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2020
Messages
54
Location
Ascot
I don't care if you have been vaccinated, I don't even care that as a result of you not getting vaccinated you get Covid and end up in hospital and die.

What I do care is if, because of the actions of those refusing to take the vaccine, infections, hospitalisations and deaths rise amongst the same group. This would result in the Government not continuing with the roadmap. OK easy to blame to Government if that happened but those who have made


You should probably calm down. No amount of moaning from you is going to make people who dont want it suddenly go actually i will now have the vacine just to please some people. It is their choice and no business of yours.
 

sjpowermac

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
2,079
But... That's the entire point of vaccinating a majority of people against a disease? Protecting the population against it by making it less likely to infect and spread? Once a critical mass of people is vaccinated, it can protect the unvaccinated. I don't know what the threshold is for covid, that data may not exist yet. We might already be at this point, although perhaps other things like testing, masks, sanitising, good ventilation, etc might be giving a false impression.
That’s my understanding too, but I notice it has fallen on deaf ears.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

You are not selfish - and decline is the correct word. The word refuse is loaded with emotional baggage that decline does not have. Also, it is not too hard to modify something with RNA such that it splices into DNA; all you need is reverse transcriptase (it's a class of enzymes) which the current RNA vaccines don't have (ironically, wild-type coronaviruses do).
I’m afraid that I don’t have any understanding of biology beyond school level, but I’m genuinely interested in the point that you are making.

Are you saying that it would be possible to modify an RNA vaccine so that it would alter a person’s DNA?

Please accept my apologies if I’ve misunderstood your post.
 
Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
You should probably calm down. No amount of moaning from you is going to make people who dont want it suddenly go actually i will now have the vacine just to please some people. It is their choice and no business of yours.
I'm plenty calm thanks but this is a discussion group so I made my point during a discussion about vaccines. It also doesn't change my mind about those who are offered the vaccine and refuse are a bit stupid.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
I'm plenty calm thanks but this is a discussion group so I made my point during a discussion about vaccines. It also doesn't change my mind about those who are offered the vaccine and refuse are a bit stupid.

I’m afraid no one is stupid, it’s their own choice, how would you feel then if something was taken off you for no reason but you abide by rules? It wouldn’t be long before you complain and want it back? You do see where we are heading or are you too blind to see it?

Refusing to take it or just refusing? It’s still personal choice regardless but I guess it’s ok to inflict what you say onto others? Possibly guilt trip them is that because it’s your own morals or once again because TV told you too?
 

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
I’m afraid no one is stupid, it’s their own choice, how would you feel then if something was taken off you for no reason but you abide by rules? It wouldn’t be long before you complain and want it back? You do see where we are heading or are you too blind to see it?

Sadly I do not possess a tin-foil hat but trying to make a few points in the RailUK echo chamber.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
Sadly I do not possess a tin-foil hat but trying to make a few points in the RailUK echo chamber.

Bah! Tin foil hat, it’s called looking at things with an open mind, seems clear you are heading up a one way street with no exit, I do hope that when things come to light you apologise to those people but you won’t though? Clock is ticking indeed but you will see it if not now but soon
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Is it just me or has news media really not cottoned on to the increasing evidence of disconnect between rising B.1.617.2 cases and stubbornly falling hospitalisations and deaths?
 

sjpowermac

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
2,079
Bah! Tin foil hat, it’s called looking at things with an open mind, seems clear you are heading up a one way street with no exit, I do hope that when things come to light you apologise to those people but you won’t though? Clock is ticking indeed but you will see it if not now but soon
I’m really trying to understand the points that you are trying to make, but I’m genuinely struggling.

I think, from what you’ve said, that you’ve had both the virus and the vaccine. You mentioned about a booster shot and that you wouldn’t take that.

I’m not being critical, but I’m genuinely curious as to why you wouldn’t take the third/booster jab.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Sadly I do not possess a tin-foil hat but trying to make a few points in the RailUK echo chamber.
Good luck with that!
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
Is it just me or has news media really not cottoned on to the increasing evidence of disconnect between rising B.1.617.2 cases and stubbornly falling hospitalisations and deaths?

No it’s not you, I think they’re living in a parallel universe to be honest!

Statistically we’re in as good a place as we’ve ever been, and looking beyond the statistics we’re in a better place as we have the vaccines. I’d go so far as to say that in the UK at least the pandemic is over, or as good as over. And yet most news channels and other media outlets warn of impending doom….
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
I’m really trying to understand the points that you are trying to make, but I’m genuinely struggling.

I think, from what you’ve said, that you’ve had both the virus and the vaccine. You mentioned about a booster shot and that you wouldn’t take that.

I’m not being critical, but I’m genuinely curious as to why you wouldn’t take the third/booster jab.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Good luck with that!

Yes I have had COVID and yes the 2 jabs, reason for not third is that’s 3 within a year?

Just because this one is special why does it need 3? Flu has 1 so it’s a no for me



Why should I take the booster jab if offered explain to me why I should? Don’t run off what the media says, just opinion


Regardless why should it matter if someone has or not been vaccinated that’s their personal choice and business not mine or your business either

Edit: Booster, rumours were going about initially that those that had COVID would get booster but we ended up getting the 2 and supposedly now we are possibly expected to get a 3rd one, it doesn’t fill me with confidence getting a third one, two was enough, three is pushing it too far for me
 
Last edited:

L401CJF

Established Member
Joined
16 Oct 2019
Messages
1,486
Location
Wirral
Personally I havn't watched any news for almost a year, I don't read any papers, I have disabled the news feed app on the phone and I turn the radio off when the ads come on.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the world and my life is much happier as a result! Instead I go to work 5 days a week and just carry on plodding along.

Perfect!
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
I’d go so far as to say that in the UK at least the pandemic is over, or as good as over.

I can't bring myself to that same conclusion quite yet but my BS-o-meter is riding high when reading the doom and gloom coming from various news sites.

And this is why I try to avoid most news media this year.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the world and my life is much happier as a result! Instead I go to work 5 days a week and just carry on plodding along.

Bingo! I believe this is the route to true enlightenment :lol:
 

Ascotroyal

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2020
Messages
54
Location
Ascot
Personally I havn't watched any news for almost a year, I don't read any papers, I have disabled the news feed app on the phone and I turn the radio off when the ads come on.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the world and my life is much happier as a result! Instead I go to work 5 days a week and just carry on plodding along.

Perfect!


Likewise. I dont watch or listen to any news now. I just stick to watching sport and netflix.
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
Yes I have had COVID and yes the 2 jabs, reason for not third is that’s 3 within a year? Just because this one is special why does it need 3? Flu has 1 so it’s a no for me

The question is, where will it end? Another jab in the spring and then another next Autumn? With an extra one thrown in because of the Siberian variant? There’s a line between acting in the public health interest and excessive state control over people lives; if we haven’t crossed that line already I have a feeling we’re about to.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
There’s a line between acting in the public health interest and excessive state control over people lives; if we haven’t crossed that line already I have a feeling we’re about to.

I think we already have, it's state control by proxy as they get the population to do it for them.
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
I can't bring myself to that same conclusion quite yet but my BS-o-meter is riding high when reading the doom and gloom coming from various news sites.

It is perhaps a bold conclusion but I think we’ll know very soon. Of course something could go wrong, however I’m struggling to see any feasible way in which the virus could make a resurgence at this point. It would need a fairly dramatic mutation to occur, and there’s nothing to suggest that this is likely, or even possible.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I think we already have, it's state control by proxy as they get the population to do it for them.

Personally I’m of a similar mind….
 

sjpowermac

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
2,079
Yes I have had COVID and yes the 2 jabs, reason for not third is that’s 3 within a year?

Just because this one is special why does it need 3? Flu has 1 so it’s a no for me



Why should I take the booster jab if offered explain to me why I should? Don’t run off what the media says, just opinion


Regardless why should it matter if someone has or not been vaccinated that’s their personal choice and business not mine or your business either

Edit: Booster, rumours were going about initially that those that had COVID would get booster but we ended up getting the 2 and supposedly now we are possibly expected to get a 3rd one, it doesn’t fill me with confidence getting a third one, two was enough, three is pushing it too far for me
Many thanks for your reply.

I didn’t say that you should take the booster jab, I was simply curious as to why not.

I think what you are saying is that you are sceptical about how well the vaccines work if it takes three jabs, is that correct?
 

quantinghome

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2013
Messages
2,913
Is it just me or has news media really not cottoned on to the increasing evidence of disconnect between rising B.1.617.2 cases and stubbornly falling hospitalisations and deaths?
Given the lag between infections, hospitalisations and deaths there's probably not been enough time to make a judgement. From what I've read the vaccine defences seem to be holding for now, which is obviously good news. We'll find out for sure over the next 2-3 weeks.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
Many thanks for your reply.

I didn’t say that you should take the booster jab, I was simply curious as to why not.

I think what you are saying is that you are sceptical about how well the vaccines work if it takes three jabs, is that correct?


Yes sorry about approach towards you, yes I’m skeptical but I just think pushing for 3 is a bit much

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The question is, where will it end? Another jab in the spring and then another next Autumn? With an extra one thrown in because of the Siberian variant? There’s a line between acting in the public health interest and excessive state control over people lives; if we haven’t crossed that line already I have a feeling we’re about to.


Once again, thinking out of the box here, I would say is there more to this than what we are not being told? Possibly!

“The truth is out there”
 

sjpowermac

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
2,079
Yes sorry about approach towards you, yes I’m skeptical but I just think pushing for 3 is a bit much
There’s really no need to apologise, I’m just genuinely interested, that’s all:)

I have posted previously that I initially had my own doubts about the vaccines and when it came to choosing to go ahead I hadn’t really put much thought into it!

I have since done some reading and I think the balance of evidence is that the vaccines do work and that they are safe.

I do understand when people cast doubt on the long term effects, but my (limited) understanding is that side effects from vaccines usually show up very quickly. I’m happy to be corrected on that if others have sources.

Some posters have said that they don’t see why they should take the vaccine because they themselves are unlikely to get ill. I can very much see this point of view and I think vaccination it is an imposition, especially if it’s something we end up needing every year!

For myself though I will take the booster jab because I want to play my part in protecting those who can’t take the jab for health reasons or for whom it doesn’t work.

None of the above is said against you in any way, so please don’t take offence. I have several friends who are not taking the vaccine and I absolutely don’t think any less of them (or indeed you!) for making that choice.
 

Jonny

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,577
That’s my understanding too, but I notice it has fallen on deaf ears.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I’m afraid that I don’t have any understanding of biology beyond school level, but I’m genuinely interested in the point that you are making.

Are you saying that it would be possible to modify an RNA vaccine so that it would alter a person’s DNA?

Please accept my apologies if I’ve misunderstood your post.

Yes I am - basically there is a class of enzymes called "reverse transcriptase" that splice genetic material, from RNA, into a genome. The best explanation is the reasonably accurate Wikipedia article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_transcriptase

When I did University-level life sciences, it was not mentioned much (if at all) in the lectures but it was there in the textbooks. That was the turn of the millennium.

There are even genetic sequences, that scientists have observed, that can be accounted for by this phenomenon. Again the Wikipedia article provides a good explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endogenous_retrovirus
 

sjpowermac

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
2,079
Yes I am - basically there is a class of enzymes called "reverse transcriptase" that splice genetic material, from RNA, into a genome. The best explanation is the reasonably accurate Wikipedia article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_transcriptase

When I did University-level life sciences, it was not mentioned much (if at all) in the lectures but it was there in the textbooks. That was the turn of the millennium.

There are even genetic sequences, that scientists have observed, that can be accounted for by this phenomenon. Again the Wikipedia article provides a good explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endogenous_retrovirus
Many thanks indeed for the reply and the links, I’ll certainly do my best to get my head around that information.

I can certainly appreciate your concerns about future development of RNA vaccines, there’s a real minefield of ethical considerations there!

In your opinion, how easy would it be to modify the current vaccines in that way?

Many thanks again for your reply.
 

Jonny

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,577
Many thanks indeed for the reply and the links, I’ll certainly do my best to get my head around that information.

I can certainly appreciate your concerns about future development of RNA vaccines, there’s a real minefield of ethical considerations there!

In your opinion, how easy would it be to modify the current vaccines in that way?

Many thanks again for your reply.

I've been out of the loop for a while and I'm not sure exactly how easy (or hard) it would be. You would need a database of sequences, and I cannot comment as I have been "out of the loop" for a long time but such databases probably do exist. Once you have that, you only need a RNA synthesis machine which is not too dissimilar to a 3D printer. As to whether or not those are available or practical, I am unsure but I am led to believe that they may have been used in at least the R&D stages of some mRNA vaccines. The potential is there, and I should emphasise that someone has made a decision not to include reverse transcriptase in the current mRNA vaccines.

The trouble is those who "cry wolf" about changing DNA now are going to make it harder when someone comes up with a ^vaccine^ that does include reverse transcriptase. I can only comment as to what I would do, and that is introduce a non-reverse transcriptase while having some shills cry wolf.
 

Freightmaster

Verified Rep
Joined
7 Jul 2009
Messages
4,513
Given the lag between infections, hospitalisations and deaths there's probably not been enough time to make a judgement. From what I've read the vaccine defences seem to be holding for now, which is obviously good news. We'll find out for sure over the next 2-3 weeks.
Another three weeks to check make sure the "flattened curve" doesn't raise up from the dead, zombie style? ;)




MARK
 

Red Onion

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2012
Messages
416
Location
Aberdeen
I'm plenty calm thanks but this is a discussion group so I made my point during a discussion about vaccines. It also doesn't change my mind about those who are offered the vaccine and refuse are a bit stupid.

Just to check. I took my first vaccine and it’s made me rather unwell (including hospitalising me) with symptoms still persisting almost three months on. I am keen to get a second dose, however I had to decline, following discussion with a medical professional, due to the risk of similar or worse effects occurring. I also won’t mix vaccines until stable data comes out on them. It’s what I’ve been advised to essentially protect my health.

So I’ve been offered a vaccine and declined. Given my reason above, does that make me stupid? By your logic it does. What would your advice be to someone in my situation?
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
There’s really no need to apologise, I’m just genuinely interested, that’s all:)

I have posted previously that I initially had my own doubts about the vaccines and when it came to choosing to go ahead I hadn’t really put much thought into it!

I have since done some reading and I think the balance of evidence is that the vaccines do work and that they are safe.

I do understand when people cast doubt on the long term effects, but my (limited) understanding is that side effects from vaccines usually show up very quickly. I’m happy to be corrected on that if others have sources.

Some posters have said that they don’t see why they should take the vaccine because they themselves are unlikely to get ill. I can very much see this point of view and I think vaccination it is an imposition, especially if it’s something we end up needing every year!

For myself though I will take the booster jab because I want to play my part in protecting those who can’t take the jab for health reasons or for whom it doesn’t work.

None of the above is said against you in any way, so please don’t take offence. I have several friends who are not taking the vaccine and I absolutely don’t think any less of them (or indeed you!) for making that choice.


Thing was with me after first dose I had a sore head that lasted all day, the second dose I was ok with, my initial thought was I didn’t want to get the vaccine but where I work it felt I had too so complied but with rumours going about or as now being mentioned a “trial” for the 3rd dose or annual whichever way they are swinging it, I have no confidence and I feel 3 doses in a year is a bit much (regardless if I haven’t had any issues since but I would throw it as a future thing), I will say this though is I have had acid reflux on and off but since been vaccinated I feel it’s got worse than helped (whether this is related I don’t know), I also have Raynauds but according to evidence I could find it said I should be ok with the vaccines but even I’m starting to cast doubt, just feels research quickly drawn up to every part of society regardless of health to make people take it without consequences but it’s us that have to live with whilst Governments etc have a jolly good party!
 

sjpowermac

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
2,079
Thing was with me after first dose I had a sore head that lasted all day, the second dose I was ok with, my initial thought was I didn’t want to get the vaccine but where I work it felt I had too so complied but with rumours going about or as now being mentioned a “trial” for the 3rd dose or annual whichever way they are swinging it, I have no confidence and I feel 3 doses in a year is a bit much (regardless if I haven’t had any issues since but I would throw it as a future thing), I will say this though is I have had acid reflux on and off but since been vaccinated I feel it’s got worse than helped (whether this is related I don’t know), I also have Raynauds but according to evidence I could find it said I should be ok with the vaccines but even I’m starting to cast doubt, just feels research quickly drawn up to every part of society regardless of health to make people take it without consequences but it’s us that have to live with whilst Governments etc have a jolly good party!
That certainly doesn’t sound good and I do hope that you start to feel better soon and that the acid problem goes away.

When I had my jab I had a fever in the night and felt tired the next day, but beyond that I’ve been fine.

Pressure from work to take the vaccine does seem unfair. Given how poorly many workers are treated I suspect that for some that would automatically put them off taking the vaccine!

For me, I will take any booster jabs, mainly because I think it’s important to try and protect the people who can’t take them or for whom they don’t work.

Many thanks again for taking the time to reply this evening, I really appreciate it and it has been really interesting speaking with you:)
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
That certainly doesn’t sound good and I do hope that you start to feel better soon and that the acid problem goes away.

When I had my jab I had a fever in the night and felt tired the next day, but beyond that I’ve been fine.

Pressure from work to take the vaccine does seem unfair. Given how poorly many workers are treated I suspect that for some that would automatically put them off taking the vaccine!

For me, I will take any booster jabs, mainly because I think it’s important to try and protect the people who can’t take them or for whom they don’t work.

Many thanks again for taking the time to reply this evening, I really appreciate it and it has been really interesting speaking with you:)

I know in terms of the reflux, it has been ongoing prior to getting vaccinated but since I have no idea when I am able to see the doctors as nothing has been mentioned (Scotland).

Regarding in workplaces - it should (opinion) be choice not the pressure approach, workplaces didn't care much if people didn't get the flu jab so why with COVID we must?, also just to add in terms of 3rd dose are we going to include it at same time as that jab as well?

No probs, sorry I got off on the wrong foot with you earlier but I have my reasons in why I feel, but I am open minded as they come along and believe in everyone should have a choice regardless in life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top