• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
The difference between the two is time. Lockdown has an exit strategy, they could be very cautious implementing it but it will be lifted. A defacto International travel ban justified by keeping variants out doesn't have an exit strategy. It would be equally justified in summer 2026 as summer 2021. Many millions of people have family overseas and businesses require some travel too. I suspect its been leaked to the Telegraph to test the reaction - again. Unfortunately most people won't think it through and think it would only last a few months, when in reality the justification will be around indefinitely because the virus won't stop mutating.

However in terms of lockdown exit you get the options as follows:

1) set a date to ease restrictions then suddenly...
2) restrictions (sorry goalposts moved again)
3) exit? What exit? - not one in both UK or Scottish Governments have set a date for this repeatedly

I see us in Scotland been told not to book foreign holidays until next year ... when next year I hear you ask? 2022 but no date given! Oh pray tell we get to that point then moved again?

Point is either they have a clue or they don’t, but still it’s not a conspiracy though, I’m passed thinking this is all about a virus and it’s about control but heck what do I know? I just know something isn’t adding up and the longer this goes on more questions are being raised with little answers
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2018
Messages
2,745
For me an international travel ban would be a disaster - it is what I truly enjoy most and save pretty much all my money for. Usually I do 8-10 trips a year. Right now not having trips to look forward to in the next couple of months is tough enough, to think it might be a whole year is unthinkable.

It sounds like an incredibly first world problem I know, but life without the things you enjoy - whatever that is - is pretty bleak and demotivating.
 

Chester1

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
4,442
The difference between the two is quite large.

Lockdown (which also doesn't have an exit strategy as far as I can see) keeps people locked up in their homes for months on end without seeing anyone.

For most people, international travel is occasional anyway, and if you really do need to relocate, a week's quarantine is doable.

I don't see how anyone can play lockdown as less extreme than an international travel ban.

I don't think an international travel is less more extreme now. I am saying that in the long term it is (assuming lockdown ends within a few weeks). If variants are the justification it could easily become permanent. I don't mean until the end of the year etc, I mean for many years. The virus won't stop mutating.

There are a lot of people who either don't have love ones abroad or don't have jobs reliant on some degree of international travel who easily dismiss the severity of a international travel ban. Its not just the time but the cost. Australia charges people £1500 to quarantine. Even half that would put international travel beyond the means of most families and many individuals. I have friends on the continent who moved assuming their family was an Easyjet or Ryanair flight away, they would either have the choice of uprooting themselves from their lives or only seeing their family and British friends maybe once a year or less, at huge cost and time.

The media is happy to report about a travel ban but not willing to question what the ending plan would be. I think so many are people are desperate for this to end and would agree to any measure that didn't effect their own lives much. Perhaps a travel ban is necessary for a few weeks or even months but as a long term strategy to protect the UK from variants its insane. I am sick of pointing out the UK has an open land border. I think its PR, I don't think a Government that introduced travel corridors is going to block most people from going abroad for long.
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
I’ve been laughed at on here (literally!) for saying this previously but I think cheap air travel is going to become a thing of the past. If they’re serious about tackling climate change, which I now believe they are (they being western governments), it needs to be curtailed. This is too good an opportunity for them to miss, budget airlines will be victims of the pandemic rather than government policy and so they’ll escape the flack they’d otherwise face. I may be wrong about this of course but it’s hardly a wild conspiracy theory, I don’t think so anyway.
 

87electric

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2010
Messages
1,243
I’ve been laughed at on here (literally!) for saying this previously but I think cheap air travel is going to become a thing of the past. If they’re serious about tackling climate change, which I now believe they are (they being western governments), it needs to be curtailed. This is too good an opportunity for them to miss, budget airlines will be victims of the pandemic rather than government policy and so they’ll escape the flack they’d otherwise face. I may be wrong about this of course but it’s hardly a wild conspiracy theory, I don’t think so anyway.
I think you will be proved correct.
The new sustainability will not involve cheap air travel. What Freddie Laker initially started will now be at an end, in my humble opinion. Air travel will become an expensive luxury.
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
I think you will be proved correct.
The new sustainability will not involve cheap air travel. What Freddie Laker initially started will now be at an end, in my humble opinion. Air travel will become an expensive luxury.

When discussing this I often get asked “what about the impact on the economy?” to which I reply “would that be the new green economy by any chance?”.

I could be totally wrong, but I’m increasingly of the opinion that we’ll see some permanent changes made to the way we live on the back of this pandemic, changes that may well be necessary (a whole different conversation!) but that the population would never vote for.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
When discussing this I often get asked “what about the impact on the economy?” to which I reply “would that be the new green economy by any chance?”.

I could be totally wrong, but I’m increasingly of the opinion that we’ll see some permanent changes made to the way we live on the back of this pandemic, changes that may well be necessary (a whole different conversation!) but that the population would never vote for.
A "green economy" you say? One where public transport is discouraged, where people shower themselves in chemicals to "stay safe", where disposable masks are the norm, and plastic screens and tape are literally everywhere? Hmmmm, I see a flaw in your plan.

Meanwhile the BBC are in full stupid mode:

Covid: Vaccinated people may spread virus, says Van-Tam - BBC News

People who have received a Covid-19 vaccine could still pass the virus on to others and should continue following lockdown rules, England's deputy chief medical officer has warned.
Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam stressed that scientists "do not yet know the impact of the vaccine on transmission".
He said vaccines offer "hope" but infection rates must come down quickly.
So now the BBC is now trying to make vaccinated people sound like part of the reason why be need more lockdowns. But worse is to come:

Firms planned record 800,000 redundancies last year - BBC News

British employers made plans to cut 795,000 jobs last year, a record number, as Covid lockdowns took their toll on the economy.
More than 10,000 firms planned job cuts, however the pace of planned cuts slowed at the end of the year.
Without the government's furlough scheme, designed to protect jobs, the numbers might have been higher still.
The figures were obtained in response to a BBC Freedom of Information request to the Insolvency Service.
The BBC is now peddling what is quite clearly a lie that many of the 800,000 jobs lost so far were planned anyway pre-covid, and that furlough saved so many more. Oh yes, I'm sure the 10,000 employers planned state enforced lockdowns & closures for months on end at the start of 2020. I mean who wouldn't?

This kind of obvious state sponsored propaganda now shows that the BBC has left it's once proud position of neutrality and is now just a 10 Downing Street echo chamber. It probably won't be long before someone like this lady turn up on Breakfast News.

North Korea's Revered News Anchor - YouTube

(Short video about North Korea State Television's news anchor)
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
A "green economy" you say? One where public transport is discouraged, where people shower themselves in chemicals to "stay safe", where disposable masks are the norm, and plastic screens and tape are literally everywhere? Hmmmm, I see a flaw in your plan.

Meanwhile the BBC are in full stupid mode:

Covid: Vaccinated people may spread virus, says Van-Tam - BBC News


So now the BBC is now trying to make vaccinated people sound like part of the reason why be need more lockdowns. But worse is to come:

Firms planned record 800,000 redundancies last year - BBC News


The BBC is now peddling what is quite clearly a lie that many of the 800,000 jobs lost so far were planned anyway pre-covid, and that furlough saved so many more. Oh yes, I'm sure the 10,000 employers planned state enforced lockdowns & closures for months on end at the start of 2020. I mean who wouldn't?

This kind of obvious state sponsored propaganda now shows that the BBC has left it's once proud position of neutrality and is now just a 10 Downing Street echo chamber. It probably won't be long before someone like this lady turn up on Breakfast News.

North Korea's Revered News Anchor - YouTube

(Short video about North Korea State Television's news anchor)

Is it just me or do we think since people like myself have been vaccinated, they are now saying we could spread it still (the irony!), seems once more its they say something but in the end... no friggin clue!, I should add be politicians or these scientists its the usual though... pass the buck!
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
Is it just me or do we think since people like myself have been vaccinated, they are now saying we could spread it still (the irony!), seems once more its they say something but in the end... no friggin clue!, I should add be politicians or these scientists its the usual though... pass the buck!

It's the usual moving goalposts - it's always the next measure which is going to allow normality to return, but when that measure is enacted normality doesn't return, and it's then going to be the next measure which does it. We've had nearly a year of this now and hence hardly anybody believes a word the government says!
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
It's the usual moving goalposts - it's always the next measure which is going to allow normality to return, but when that measure is enacted normality doesn't return, and it's then going to be the next measure which does it. We've had nearly a year of this now and hence hardly anybody believes a word the government says!


Its all fun and games with these governments isn't it? ... Once again on the other going back to what Van-Tam mentioned so why did no one in the media pick it up and question it further? (this is what annoys me with media in general in all this - they all bend over backwards more so why should we even trust the media either then?, its similar in Scotland.)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
I don't think an international travel is less more extreme now. I am saying that in the long term it is (assuming lockdown ends within a few weeks). If variants are the justification it could easily become permanent. I don't mean until the end of the year etc, I mean for many years. The virus won't stop mutating.

There are a lot of people who either don't have love ones abroad or don't have jobs reliant on some degree of international travel who easily dismiss the severity of a international travel ban. Its not just the time but the cost. Australia charges people £1500 to quarantine. Even half that would put international travel beyond the means of most families and many individuals. I have friends on the continent who moved assuming their family was an Easyjet or Ryanair flight away, they would either have the choice of uprooting themselves from their lives or only seeing their family and British friends maybe once a year or less, at huge cost and time.

The media is happy to report about a travel ban but not willing to question what the ending plan would be. I think so many are people are desperate for this to end and would agree to any measure that didn't effect their own lives much. Perhaps a travel ban is necessary for a few weeks or even months but as a long term strategy to protect the UK from variants its insane. I am sick of pointing out the UK has an open land border. I think its PR, I don't think a Government that introduced travel corridors is going to block most people from going abroad for long.

You're assuming that lockdown will end "in a few weeks"

I don't trust this shower that it will. I am desperate for lockdown to end. Travelling abroad is a peripheral concern - and I do have family abroad. If they need to travel they will travel and quarantine.

How long ago was it we were told that there were 2 cases of the South African variant in the uK and it could be contained ? I've just heard on the news that there are now 60 something although we are told that community transmission isn't happenning (I give it a week). I wonder how much longer we will be expected to stay in lockdown because of this new varient.
 
Last edited:

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,749
It's the usual moving goalposts - it's always the next measure which is going to allow normality to return, but when that measure is enacted normality doesn't return, and it's then going to be the next measure which does it. We've had nearly a year of this now and hence hardly anybody believes a word the government says!

Indeed.

A few weeks ago it was "we can begin to lift restrictions once the people most likely to die have been vaccinated as we will reduce deaths by 80%".

Now it has become "we can't begin to even start thinking about lifting restrictions until we know that the vaccine significantly reduces community transmission and we get case numbers right right down otherwise the NHS won't cope."

So, if the vaccine doesn't significantly reduce community transmission (perhaps it only slightly reduces it), and there are case numbers that are continually higher than last summer for months or longer, even if deaths are virtually zero, then what?

And that is a serious question!

We stay in lockdown for ever?

Or restrictions are eased and places can open but you can never meet anyone from another household for ever more?
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
Its all fun and games with these governments isn't it? ... Once again on the other going back to what Van-Tam mentioned so why did no one in the media pick it up and question it further? (this is what annoys me with media in general in all this - they all bend over backwards more so why should we even trust the media either then?, its similar in Scotland.)
I know you're being ironic saying it's fun and games but afraid I'm losing my sense of humour now and no it definitely isn't fun and games.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,549
Location
Taunton or Kent
I do think there is a strong case for teaching critical thinking in schools and workplaces, which would stop people allowing the media to do the thinking for them as they learn how to look for misinformation, sensationalism, etc. The problem is our entire political system is media-driven, they influence/lobby the Government to act in their interests so no Government would ever allow policies to be brought in that would ultimately weaken their grip on power. Covid needs to be seen as the final straw in realising just how damaging the mainstream media, which applies to almost every outlet, now are to this country, the question is though what specifically would it take to trigger this realisation?
 

kristiang85

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2018
Messages
2,745
I'm pretty sure the vaccine was never meant to reduce transmission in the first place; it would be a nice bonus if it did, but the main point is to stop people developing serious COVID symptoms and drastically reduce the chances of death.

If all that is proven to happen, as it happily seems to be from the Israeli studies, then there is no reason to keep this up a moment longer.

Besides, stopping people from getting all viruses by all these measures are just going to create immunity problems further down the line to all sorts of things.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I do think there is a strong case for teaching critical thinking in schools and workplaces, which would stop people allowing the media to do the thinking for them as they learn how to look for misinformation, sensationalism, etc. The problem is our entire political system is media-driven, they influence/lobby the Government to act in their interests so no Government would ever allow policies to be brought in that would ultimately weaken their grip on power. Covid needs to be seen as the final straw in realising just how damaging the mainstream media, which applies to almost every outlet, now are to this country, the question is though what specifically would it take to trigger this realisation?

I totally agree; I've been saying this for months now. I was lucky in that my school did teach us critical thinking in a session once a week, and it has done me wonders throughout life.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
I do think there is a strong case for teaching critical thinking in schools and workplaces, which would stop people allowing the media to do the thinking for them as they learn how to look for misinformation, sensationalism, etc. The problem is our entire political system is media-driven, they influence/lobby the Government to act in their interests so no Government would ever allow policies to be brought in that would ultimately weaken their grip on power. Covid needs to be seen as the final straw in realising just how damaging the mainstream media, which applies to almost every outlet, now are to this country, the question is though what specifically would it take to trigger this realisation?
To be honest more youngsters will give you a sensible opinion on current issue, which is well reasoned and shows they've thought about it. Seems it adults who currently lack the skill.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
I know you're being ironic saying it's fun and games but afraid I'm losing my sense of humour now and no it definitely isn't fun and games.

I’m the same if I am honest (sorry in general it wasn’t meant to offend), they are pushing it though, oh how the storm will turn on them I cannot wait - in the clear for now but I feel not for much longer
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
I don't think these policies are about power. They are reflective that the majority of the public are not happy returning to normal while the virus is in circulation even with vaccinations.
I doubt it is a majority but if these people want to remain locked in their homes then that is fine by me. If they dare not go to work then they can hand their notice in/get sacked. There will be plenty of unemployed takers for their jobs.
In the meantime the rest of us can get back to a more normal way of life.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
I notice that Matt Hancock has been very busy lately throwing in frequent opinions and mostly gloomy. This is the chap who has a habit of letting out measures instead of saying nothing and announcing them in the House at the proper time.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
I doubt it is a majority but if these people want to remain locked in their homes then that is fine by me. If they dare not go to work then they can hand their notice in/get sacked. There will be plenty of unemployed takers for their jobs.
In the meantime the rest of us can get back to a more normal way of life.

Quite.

I expect that once a dose of reality is applied (get back to work or lose your job), most people will just get on with it.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
I’m the same if I am honest (sorry in general it wasn’t meant to offend), they are pushing it though, oh how the storm will turn on them I cannot wait - in the clear for now but I feel not for much longer
No didn't offend, just an opportunity to vent my spleen a bit, which I'm finding I need to do more and more with all this.
 

Tezza1978

Member
Joined
22 May 2020
Messages
314
Location
Warrington
No didn't offend, just an opportunity to vent my spleen a bit, which I'm finding I need to do more and more with all this.
We all need to do that at this moment in time!

Sky News reporting today's figures and trying to say new hospitalisations "haven't yet peaked" which is complete nonsense and not borne about by the figures!!

Even today clowns like Jeremy Hunt (who is responsible for the NHS for being so poorly prepared for this!) are doing interviews saying that lockdown isnt tough enough or cases "aren't coming down fast enough"....(erm..... over 50% drop in 2 weeks which is far faster than the scientists thought possible?)

He then says FFP masks should be brought in as compulsory for shops and public transport! Lol.... Good luck with getting that one implemented - miniscule/zero benefit, they cost £5 each (!), huge supply shortages of them as needed for ICUs - who's going to pay for them??? They are single use - are we going to force the unemployed and pensioners to spend £20-£30 a week on them from their own pocket?
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,683
Location
Solihull
He then says FFP masks should be brought in as compulsory for shops and public transport! Lol.... Good luck with getting that one implemented - miniscule/zero benefit, they cost £5 each (!), huge supply shortages of them as needed for ICUs - who's going to pay for them??? They are single use - are we going to force the unemployed and pensioners to spend £20-£30 a week on them from their own pocket?
I'm employed and i can't afford 20-30 pw on masks either.

I've heard about this before, most people simply won't be able to get them or at least will reuse them (and thus what is the point). What are they going to do, stop people food shopping without them? Bad luck if they can't get a home delivery, still starvation is irrelevant now as its not the virus.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
We all need to do that at this moment in time!

Sky News reporting today's figures and trying to say new hospitalisations "haven't yet peaked" which is complete nonsense and not borne about by the figures!!

Even today clowns like Jeremy Hunt (who is responsible for the NHS for being so poorly prepared for this!) are doing interviews saying that lockdown isnt tough enough or cases "aren't coming down fast enough"....(erm..... over 50% drop in 2 weeks which is far faster than the scientists thought possible?)

He then says FFP masks should be brought in as compulsory for shops and public transport! Lol.... Good luck with getting that one implemented - miniscule/zero benefit, they cost £5 each (!), huge supply shortages of them as needed for ICUs - who's going to pay for them??? They are single use - are we going to force the unemployed and pensioners to spend £20-£30 a week on them from their own pocket?


How fast does he want it to come down? Instantly?

Yet if that was the case would we be out or still locked in? I guess even that question could have been raised but it bypass Sky News
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
I'd be very dissappointed if I were forced to wear a non-washable face covering.

It won't happen - they must know by now that the muzzle thing is just a comfort blanket and doesn't actually have any beneficial effect.

And more significantly, they won't want to risk shortages of proper masks for hospitals who actually need them - far too much potential for bad publicity there.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
It won't happen - they must know by now that the muzzle thing is just a comfort blanket and doesn't actually have any beneficial effect.

And more significantly, they won't want to risk shortages of proper masks for hospitals who actually need them - far too much potential for bad publicity there.

Yet on the other it’s public using their money to get them why are the governments not funding them for the public? (said this on the restrictions in Scotland thread), so that’s both governments considering this but again public shafted as usual? I’ll expect them to be a fashion trend of 2021

Regarding the FFP/FFP2 masks wasn’t that not highlighted last year that they were useless or public not to buy them?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top