• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJames

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2018
Messages
1,464
Currently one of the top UK headline stories on the BBC:




I'm not entirely sure how the personal opinion of a random person is one of the main UK news stories but I'm sure the Beeb knows best.
Similar was doing the rounds earlier or yesterday (can't even remember anymore) - "it's just not worth the risk" - the problem is the more people getting covid and recovering, the more people who are not bothered about the risk anymore. The narrative is starting to wear off on some, but it will get increasingly tiresome for many others soon too...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
I'm not entirely sure how the personal opinion of a random person is one of the main UK news stories but I'm sure the Beeb knows best.
Thing is they've only found one person, if there were hundreds may be of concern. Perhaps they'll interview someone who's been in a road accident and say it's not worth driving?
 

Urobach

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2007
Messages
209
Currently one of the top UK headline stories on the BBC:




I'm not entirely sure how the personal opinion of a random person is one of the main UK news stories but I'm sure the Beeb knows best.

Setting Joe Public up perfectly to be blamed for the inevitable rise in cases post new year sadly.
 

6862

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2014
Messages
506
Currently one of the top UK headline stories on the BBC:




I'm not entirely sure how the personal opinion of a random person is one of the main UK news stories but I'm sure the Beeb knows best.

It's not news, it's the BBC doing the governments bidding, trying to terrorise the population into submission.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
Currently one of the top UK headline stories on the BBC:




I'm not entirely sure how the personal opinion of a random person is one of the main UK news stories but I'm sure the Beeb knows best.
Far better to leave Aunt at home on her own, with no company, no-one to see or talk to until she loses the will to live...
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
Sky News were yesterday pushing the ‘long covid’ narrative quite hard. Apparently 1 in 10 people with covid will suffer from ‘long covid’ with all kinds of terrifying outcomes including partial paralysis.... Where they got that statistic from I’ve no idea. They had one ‘long covid’ sufferer on who has been unable to work since May, when she claims to have caught it for the second time which seems unlikely in itself (the first time was in March apparently). Another women explained how she gets out of breath walking her dog, with images of her waking her dog through a park whilst wearing a mask.... I had to laugh at the irony!
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
Sky News were yesterday pushing the ‘long covid’ narrative quite hard. Apparently 1 in 10 people with covid will suffer from ‘long covid’ with all kinds of terrifying outcomes including partial paralysis.... Where they got that statistic from I’ve no idea. They had one ‘long covid’ sufferer on who has been unable to work since May, when she claims to have caught it for the second time which seems unlikely in itself (the first time was in March apparently). Another women explained how she gets out of breath walking her dog, with images of her waking her dog through a park whilst wearing a mask.... I had to laugh at the irony!
Not quite on long covid but someone at work said she was getting a test and it would be second time she'd had it making quite a thing out of it. Firstly test was negative and secondly she wasn't tested for it in March as couldn't get one so self diagnosis, wonder how many people claim to have had it but not had a test?
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
Sky News were yesterday pushing the ‘long covid’ narrative quite hard. Apparently 1 in 10 people with covid will suffer from ‘long covid’ with all kinds of terrifying outcomes including partial paralysis.... Where they got that statistic from I’ve no idea. They had one ‘long covid’ sufferer on who has been unable to work since May, when she claims to have caught it for the second time which seems unlikely in itself (the first time was in March apparently). Another women explained how she gets out of breath walking her dog, with images of her waking her dog through a park whilst wearing a mask.... I had to laugh at the irony!
Ah yes, "long covid". The next lockdown excuse in waiting. I had quite a long debate on a local newspaper feed with a woman who said because she had suffered from "long covid" any kinds of restrictions were justifiable. Apparently one of the main symptoms of it is fatigue, anxiety & stress. If so then most of the country must be suffering from it and so I propose a century long lockdown so that everyone with "long covid" can pass into the next one, and not risk spreading it....

(Yes I know "long covid" cannot be spread, but how long before people start talking about catching it?)
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
Ah yes, "long covid". The next lockdown excuse in waiting. I had quite a long debate on a local newspaper feed with a woman who said because she had suffered from "long covid" any kinds of restrictions were justifiable. Apparently one of the main symptoms of it is fatigue, anxiety & stress. If so then most of the country must be suffering from it and so I propose a century long lockdown so that everyone with "long covid" can pass into the next one, and not risk spreading it....

(Yes I know "long covid" cannot be spread, but how long before people start talking about catching it?)

It will probably have its own strain! I really should’t give them ideas should I....
 

Scotrail12

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2014
Messages
840
Digital Spy seem to think that Whitty & Vallance are actually trustworthy. I said on a thread that they are frauds for the overblown figures and this was the reponse. Are they always like this? (I don’t usually do the politics forum).
Oh stop believing stupid conspiracy theories . Here is a correct figure over 60 thousand people have died probably more. Any government would do what it takes to protect its people more important then a poxy dancing show. In fact I would argue that the government could have done more
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
Digital Spy seem to think that Whitty & Vallance are actually trustworthy. I said on a thread that they are frauds for the overblown figures and this was the reponse. Are they always like this? (I don’t usually do the politics forum).

Sounds like whoever responded is a Locktivist! In their world, anyone who actually looks at the data and forms an opinion different to them is a 'conspiracy theorist'. Normally they've not looked at the data properly themselves, or they would know that those who have died 'of' it will be very considerably less than 60,000
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
Digital Spy seem to think that Whitty & Vallance are actually trustworthy. I said on a thread that they are frauds for the overblown figures and this was the reponse. Are they always like this? (I don’t usually do the politics forum).
There are some people out there who are so virtuous. Problem is they only see one issue, not the fact many died with it not from it as they were unfortunately gravely ill anyway. What about those who've died because of this due to lack of cancer treatment, heart attacks etc, the suicides. Aside from that there's the loneliness (know one can understand what it's like to live on your own under lockdown unless they do it), the mental health impacts, which we've mentioned many times on this forum.
 

SJN

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
408
Location
Birmingham
Digital Spy seem to think that Whitty & Vallance are actually trustworthy. I said on a thread that they are frauds for the overblown figures and this was the reponse. Are they always like this? (I don’t usually do the politics forum).
The politics section is the worst. The long coronavirus thread not much better though in general discussion.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
I seen both Boris and Sturgeon were hitting the overdrive button tonight, Level 4 for Scotland, non essential shops closed, gyms too (didn't last long again) and possible travel ban? I can see where this is heading its another round of public v politicians, who gets stop by police you decide!

I still think the media love this (well certain media do) but read they knew this in September?! So its taken to the week of Christmas to announce it and just last week to say there was a new strain in London/Glasgow? So how can they have discovered a new strain last week but knew in September but they are in a rush to work it all out?

Do we prepare for tinfoil hat theories #2?
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
Digital Spy seem to think that Whitty & Vallance are actually trustworthy. I said on a thread that they are frauds for the overblown figures and this was the reponse. Are they always like this? (I don’t usually do the politics forum).


I have always stated from the outset I just use my own mind but lets just say some of these tinpot theories are correct I wonder how many people would then change their tune?

I just typed in Google Covid 21 (curiousity) and appears to be a youtube video on Covid 21 "lethal virus" and a few news articles....

just to highlight one - just to emphasise but I would guess if looking at theories something like this is bound to appear?


In the very specific case of Covid-19, what should have happened to prevent the virus from spreading in the first place?


This is directly tied to the issue of commercial wildlife trade and wildlife consumption. WCS recommends stopping all commercial trade in wildlife for human consumption (particularly of birds and mammals) and closing all such markets. Rigorous enforcement of existing laws, regulations, and international treaties that deal with wildlife trade and markets is critical and necessary, but this is simply not enough. A new paradigm is needed if we are to avoid a pandemic such as the one we are experiencing today.


Beyond that, you need to monitor better. You need to know what viruses are out there and you need to clean up your supply chains the best we can.


The issue is, right now as we speak, there are many other coronaviruses out there in wildlife being consumed by humans – and any one of them could jump. So we might have a Covid-21 or Covid-22 coming our way and we need to strengthen the surveillance systems, reduce deforestation and stop all commercial trade in wildlife for human consumption (particularly of birds and mammals).

I don't know how truthful this article is but you can't make it up if you type on google something as simple as COVID-21!?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
I have always stated from the outset I just use my own mind but lets just say some of these tinpot theories are correct I wonder how many people would then change their tune?

I just typed in Google Covid 21 (curiousity) and appears to be a youtube video on Covid 21 "lethal virus" and a few news articles....

just to highlight one - just to emphasise but I would guess if looking at theories something like this is bound to appear?




I don't know how truthful this article is but you can't make it up if you type on google something as simple as COVID-21!?

He's actually quite right about the wildlife trade. It's what got us the original SARS, and there's nothing to say it won't result in COVID21.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
He's actually quite right about the wildlife trade. It's what got us the original SARS, and there's nothing to say it won't result in COVID21.


and then begins the theories (already out there)... As I say I don't follow none of these theories at all but there is certain things you find on google and that even some have posted on here have even given me a few raised eyebrows!

Example was MyGP app and this on the WEF site:


Thousands of summer holidays are now up in the air, following a series of COVID-19 flare-ups around the world, with trips cancelled and travellers forced to quarantine when they return home.

In mid-July, the number of confirmed cases globally jumped by a million in just four days. The UK imposed a 14-day isolation on holidaymakers returning from Spain after infection rates spiked there, prompting the UK’s biggest tour operator to cancel all holidays to that country.

I can't remember specific site on here but its strange how something like this can "pop up".
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
and then begins the theories (already out there)... As I say I don't follow none of these theories at all but there is certain things you find on google and that even some have posted on here have even given me a few raised eyebrows!

Example was MyGP app and this on the WEF site:




I can't remember specific site on here but its strange how something like this can "pop up".

I'm not sure it's that unusual that that theories of the wildlife trade being linked to transfer of viruses to humans should pop up on the internet.

It's a fairly established scientific theory.

I
 

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,190
Never travelled on one (sadly) but definitely deserving of a rock hit !
I had a few as a kid but I was too young to really notice the difference between them and the CIGs. Occasionally they went out solo without a TC. That must have been awesome. 3000hp on a four car unit!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I think we may have drifted off topic a little here... :)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
I had a few as a kid but I was too young to really notice the difference between them and the CIGs. Occasionally they went out solo without a TC. That must have been awesome. 3000hp on a four car unit!
Ah well, the CIG's were awesome as well for me.

Sorry for drifting Cowley :)
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,879
Far better to leave Aunt at home on her own, with no company, no-one to see or talk to until she loses the will to live...
Far better, because she's not a Covid statistic then, and Boris, DimWhitty and UnbVallanced can pat themselves on the back for a job well done.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
Far better, because she's not a Covid statistic then, and Boris, DimWhitty and UnbVallanced can pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

Unless she gets admitted to hospital for something indirectly caused by the situation - then she can catch it in hospital and be counted as a Covid statistic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top