• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,167
Location
Elginshire
There is an existing thread in the General Discussion section of the forum, entitled "Brexit Matters". Let's not drag that debate into this thread, please.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
The main criticism I've seen about the recent changes in Renfrewshire and Inverclyde are mainly aimed at the cut of the 22. However, the route is covered by a mix of the other services. Changing bus isn't always ideal but I've certainly seen worse swaps required for journeys.
The massive reduction to the 32 (Johnstone - Kilbarchan) hasn't gone down well here, although I am hearing vaguely positive things from those around me about the re-established link between Johnstone Castle and the RAH.
 

gingerheid

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
1,726
Just made a short visit to Paisley on the way to the airport.

Was shocked by just how far downhill Paisley has gone - so in one sense it doesn't surprise me that there's not enough there to make so many people require a bus there (though just how many buses per hour are those 2 757s replacing? That used to be a local service to Shortroods, an Airport shuttle, a very frequent service to Erskine, and a service across the river? And all of them were each at least every 30m?)

On the other hand of course presumeably the people are going to Braehead or Glasgow instead, and the buses don't seem to be catering for that either so they do seem to be failing :(

I was also shocked by how nasty the smoothness of the ride in the Yutong was!
 

PaulMc7

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2019
Messages
4,029
Just made a short visit to Paisley on the way to the airport.

Was shocked by just how far downhill Paisley has gone - so in one sense it doesn't surprise me that there's not enough there to make so many people require a bus there (though just how many buses per hour are those 2 757s replacing? That used to be a local service to Shortroods, an Airport shuttle, a very frequent service to Erskine, and a service across the river? And all of them were each at least every 30m?)

On the other hand of course presumeably the people are going to Braehead or Glasgow instead, and the buses don't seem to be catering for that either so they do seem to be failing :(

I was also shocked by how nasty the smoothness of the ride in the Yutong was!
Braehead to Glasgow off-peak seems to be incredibly quiet from what I've seen of their buses lately when I've been at Braehead although I'd imagine peak times might be a fair bit better. The 38 is also a bit quiet at off peak times although I'd say it's busier than the 23 and 26.

Paisley is definitely a big enough town for some success but it's definitely not as good as it once was and on a Sunday it's almost like a ghost town compared to before.

The other issue I think is the proximity of Silverburn and Braehead to Paisley for shopping. Both are solid options for shoppers and dont take long to get to. The 26 route is probably as direct as it can be between Paisley and Braehead but it can feel very long if there is traffic at Renfrew Cross. I don't know if Dykebar Hospital is big enough to warrant linking the 6 to it giving Pollok a link to it either although asking the public would be a good thing for Mcgills to do.
 

PaulMc7

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2019
Messages
4,029
I'm not sure where you're judging that on - they load quite well coming out of Johnstone
I've predominantly seen them between Glasgow and Paisley. Other than using the 904 to Largs, I almost never stop off in Johnstone.
 

PaulMc7

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2019
Messages
4,029
You’re a wise man! ;) :lol:
I did it to swap bus a couple of times in the past and once because of a walk from Linwood into Johnstone but it's definitely not the best place for anything.

On the subject of the 904, I think being able to use the Greater Glasgow plus ticket to Largs is great value and Largs is somewhere I go a fair few times during the warmer months. It's easier for me to get to Braehead than Paisley though and that's the only reason I end up on the 901 and 906 more than the 904.
 

Spsf3232

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
418
Location
Glasgow
Braehead to Glasgow off-peak seems to be incredibly quiet from what I've seen of their buses lately when I've been at Braehead although I'd imagine peak times might be a fair bit better. The 38 is also a bit quiet at off peak times although I'd say it's busier than the 23 and 26.

Paisley is definitely a big enough town for some success but it's definitely not as good as it once was and on a Sunday it's almost like a ghost town compared to before.

The other issue I think is the proximity of Silverburn and Braehead to Paisley for shopping. Both are solid options for shoppers and dont take long to get to. The 26 route is probably as direct as it can be between Paisley and Braehead but it can feel very long if there is traffic at Renfrew Cross. I don't know if Dykebar Hospital is big enough to warrant linking the 6 to it giving Pollok a link to it either although asking the public would be a good thing for Mcgills to do.

At its peak at the start we didn't have the retail parks on Renfrew Road or Silverburn wasnt what it was now. People have more options on where to go to now.

The passenger count and even traffic into Braehead is way down, even at Xmas there was a max delay of 10 minutes going through it when 10 years ago it would have been an hour delay.

I think McGill's have hit the sweet spot with the Braehead services for the current demand and they have been pretty much quick to change to reflect the difference in flows especially since the hospital opened and they realised they didn't need a bus every 15 seconds
 
Joined
19 Nov 2022
Messages
310
Location
Edinburgh
With the McGill's all zone ticket will that be able to be used on the services in Glasgow and West Scotland? because on the full zone map it hints that it does.
 

Christmas

Member
Joined
10 Mar 2018
Messages
441
With ScotRail absolutely destroying the Ayrshire lines timetable as of last week, I think its really time for McGill's to step up their game and run a Largs to Glasgow express. The route via Gourock is far too long, so via the Haylie Brae is the perfect opportunity to swoop in and gobble up those train passengers.

Come on Ralph!
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
With ScotRail absolutely destroying the Ayrshire lines timetable as of last week, I think its really time for McGill's to step up their game and run a Largs to Glasgow express. The route via Gourock is far too long, so via the Haylie Brae is the perfect opportunity to swoop in and gobble up those train passengers.

Come on Ralph!
"Destroying the Ayrshire lines timetable" - that's quite the exaggeration - the Largs trains are only 6 minutes slower than they were a couple of weeks ago (59 minutes vs 1hr 05 minutes). And a Largs to Glasgow express bus would, by sticking together the times for the 904 Largs - Beith (35 minutes) and X36 Beith - Glasgow (35 minutes), take 1 hr 10 minutes (you might get that down to 1hr 05 minutes if you skipped Beith). (for reference, Google Maps is saying 50 minutes for Glasgow to Largs, going via Lochwinnoch). And that's not factoring in that it doesn't take much to jam up the M8 at the Kingston Bridge
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,309
With ScotRail absolutely destroying the Ayrshire lines timetable as of last week, I think its really time for McGill's to step up their game and run a Largs to Glasgow express. The route via Gourock is far too long, so via the Haylie Brae is the perfect opportunity to swoop in and gobble up those train passengers.

Come on Ralph!
I thought the 906 avoided Gourock?
 

sannox

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2016
Messages
651
The 906x in the morning takes 1 hour 20 mins from Largs to Bothwell Street. 1 hour 40 for the rest of the day.
 

Christmas

Member
Joined
10 Mar 2018
Messages
441
It's not possible for anyone to arrive into Largs before 08.00 by train which is absolutely ridiculous. McGill's are missing a golden opportunity here.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
It's not possible for anyone to arrive into Largs before 08.00 by train which is absolutely ridiculous. McGill's are missing a golden opportunity here.
How much demand is there for arrival at Largs before 08:00? I'd guess at very close to zero.
 

Christmas

Member
Joined
10 Mar 2018
Messages
441
How much demand is there for arrival at Largs before 08:00? I'd guess at very close to zer
Are you being serious? Largs is a thriving town and believe it or not, people do actually work there.
An 08.00 arrival of the first train of the entire day, at any terminus, is so wrong.
 

PaulMc7

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2019
Messages
4,029
Are you being serious? Largs is a thriving town and believe it or not, people do actually work there.
An 08.00 arrival of the first train of the entire day, at any terminus, is so wrong.
From personal experience, if I was to change anything regarding Largs, it would be later journeys to Glasgow in the evening and more services between Port Glasgow and Largs during the warmer weather. I had standing room only from Port Glasgow earlier on the 901 and the driver even had to skip stops it was so busy. The 906 from Largs to Braehead was fairly busy too on the way back home.

As for the X22, Mcgills pulled a very good move getting funding for that from SPT. I got it from Clydebank to Port Glasgow this morning and it barely had a handful of passengers in total over the whole journey.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
Are you being serious? Largs is a thriving town and believe it or not, people do actually work there.
An 08.00 arrival of the first train of the entire day, at any terminus, is so wrong.
And how many of those people that work in Largs are looking to come from somewhere only served by train?

(Also, to your final sentence, good luck justifying an 08:00 arrival at Mallaig)
 

Clydeflyer

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2019
Messages
51
You can get to Largs well before 8am on a 901 or 906 from Greenock onwards Monday to Saturday... sure the first one from Glasgow/Port Glasgow doesn't arrive until 08.50 but that that is still decent I would say. I'd agree with the previous comment... if there was resources then later buses out of Largs to Port Glasgow/Glasgow or the 547 back to provide additional (open top?) journeys from Largs to the Port. The ones passing me that that you would call commuter buses to Largs are empty... it is the leisure traffic one that are heaving.
 

PaulMc7

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2019
Messages
4,029
Some SPT registrations have gone through including the new M7. The 59 is also back under McGill's, as of the 28th of May. This has also brought back the evening and Sunday timetable for it.


  • PM0000015/335 Registered​

    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Maidenhill Grove, Maidenhill to Ayr Road, Whitecraigs Railway Station via Patterton Railway Station
    Service number: M7
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 16 Jul 2023
  • PM0000015/288 Registered​

    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Glasgow Osborne Street to Halfway, Mill Road via Bridgeton, Parkhead, Carmyle, Cambuslang
    Service number: 64 (164)
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 16 Jul 2023
  • PM0000015/289 Registered​

    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Parkhead, East Wellington Street to Newton Farm, Cambuslang via Carmyle
    Service number: 364
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 16 Jul 2023
  • PM0000015/328 Registered​

    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Greenock Bus Station to Pennyfern Road
    Service number: 330A
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 16 Jul 2023
 
Last edited by a moderator:

EMU303

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2016
Messages
297

A rival bus operator is considering starting night bus services after First Bus announced it was axing them.

McGill’s, the UK’s largest independent bus operator owned by Scottish billionaire brothers Sandy and James Easdale, said it is “examining options” for introducing early morning buses to Glasgow.

It comes after First Bus said as few as 14 people an hour were using the services, which were reintroduced just a year ago, and confirmed it was scrapping them.

The change, due to come into force at the end of the month, will impact 11 routes that operate across the city in the early hours of Saturday and Sunday mornings.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Top