• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maunsell-Raworth S.R. Electric Loco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisso

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2012
Messages
46
I'm particularly interested in electrified Railways, including the former Southern Railway/Region of B.R.

I recently visited the NRM at York and, in the 'Warehouse' Hall came across a display case containing a partly labelled model, of an Electric Locomotive dated 1937 of a Maunsell-Raworth design. It was in S.R. green and to describe it's design - I would say, somewhere between the Bullied-Raworth CC1-2 and the much later B.R. Class 71, introduced for the Kent Coast electrification. To be honest, the earlier design looked more stylish than the aforementioned CC1-2 and, definitely more so than No. 20003!

Does anyone know more about this design, etc., and why it wasn't built? To date, I can't ascertain anything on the internet or elsewhere.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tractionman

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2011
Messages
27
Location
Bangor NI
I can't recall the model you mention I am afraid, but on the subject of early electric loco designs I was interested to see in the recent issue of 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' (Dec-Jan) some drawings of proposed SR electric locos, including a centre-cab design.

cheers,

Keith
 

slilley

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2012
Messages
27
The order for the first two SR electric locos was placed on 7 October 1936, so it would be quite right. Do you have a picture of the model? These two locos ordered then went on to become CC1 and CC2.
 

Crisso

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2012
Messages
46
Thanks for respective replies to my original post.

I do have some photos on my phone (albeit a bit blurry since they were taken through glass at the NRM!). I will endeavour to post them here shortly (my lack of technological know-how permitting...)

Maybe and just maybe, the original design, as model-led, was going to be more aesthetic but, with the then restrictions of wartime, the subsequently built CC-1 and 2 cab design had to be much more utilitarian. I believe they may have been based on the already existing Bulleids 2-HAL Cab front (which also appeared on some 4-SUB and 4-LAV if I recollect correctly?). This could be especially so since, Bulleid had subsequently superceded Maunsell by this time.
 

slilley

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2012
Messages
27
Thanks for respective replies to my original post.

I do have some photos on my phone (albeit a bit blurry since they were taken through glass at the NRM!). I will endeavour to post them here shortly (my lack of technological know-how permitting...)

Maybe and just maybe, the original design, as model-led, was going to be more aesthetic but, with the then restrictions of wartime, the subsequently built CC-1 and 2 cab design had to be much more utilitarian. I believe they may have been based on the already existing Bulleids 2-HAL Cab front (which also appeared on some 4-SUB and 4-LAV if I recollect correctly?). This could be especially so since, Bulleid had subsequently superceded Maunsell by this time.

Quite a lot of the design work was done pre-war, indeed the SR accounts show they had spent a fair bit of money before WW2 began.The cab design for CC1 and CC2 was similar to the early 4SUBs and the 2Hals.

Regards

Simon
 

Crisso

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2012
Messages
46
nokia c6 pnone pics 149.jpg

nokia c6 pnone pics 150.jpg

Hopefully, here are the two attachments. Both were taken in the Warehouse Hall at the NRM, York. In the first picture the model I'm referring to is the one on the left. The second picture is the respective label which can be viewed if you zoom in.

All the best.
 

slilley

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2012
Messages
27
View attachment 13252

View attachment 13253

Hopefully, here are the two attachments. Both were taken in the Warehouse Hall at the NRM, York. In the first picture the model I'm referring to is the one on the left. The second picture is the respective label which can be viewed if you zoom in.

All the best.

Thanks ever so much for posting the photos.I shall be contacting the NRM to see what other information they have on the model of the Bo-Bo.

Best wishes

Simon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top