• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mauldeth Road - Heart of Wales Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
Hi guys, would like to do a Saturday return to Swansea on the Heart of Wales Line from Mauldeth Road in Greater Manchester. Had a look on the ATW site and, with my 16-25 railcard it seems there is an anytime fare for £15.30 on Shrewsbury - Swansea Route: Llandovery. (Why on earth is this so much cheaper than the off peak one?) What's my best bet to get. To get to Shrewsbury? I'm happy to travel any Saturday in the next few months, so some cheap advances Piccadilly to Shrewsbury would be great, but there don't seem to be any... Is it cheapest to split at shrewsbury? I'm guessing so... But what about a second split?

Many thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,049
Location
Crewe
Advance tickets do not exist between Manchester Piccadilly and Shrewsbury, are you doing a Day Return?

And will you travel via the Heart of Wales in both directions ie.

Shrewsbury - Swansea - Shrewsbury without travelling via Cardiff?

The Anytime Day Return will be cheaper than the Off Peak Return as the Off Peak ticket is valid to return anytime within 1 month so therefore more expensive.
 

tamesidedepot

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
84
Have you considered the Heart of Wales Circular Day Ranger. Only reason being that the earliest departure from Shrewsbury which has same day connections from MAN is the 0900 arriving Swansea 1306. Returns are at 1316 then 1821 to Shrewsbury. The 1821 has a connection for MAN arriving 2350. The Day Ranger gives the option of returning via Cardiff which is much faster.
Price is £21.10 with a railcard with no time limits for the ranger and £15 Return Mauldeth Rd - Shrewsbury - total £36.10

could be other splits, but this is something I'm considering myself, alas I'm in the age group that does not qualify for any discounts - too old but not old enough lol.
 

Squaddie

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2009
Messages
1,072
Location
London
Hi guys, would like to do a Saturday return to Swansea on the Heart of Wales Line from Mauldeth Road in Greater Manchester. Had a look on the ATW site and, with my 16-25 railcard it seems there is an anytime fare for £15.30 on Shrewsbury - Swansea Route: Llandovery. (Why on earth is this so much cheaper than the off peak one?) What's my best bet to get. To get to Shrewsbury? I'm happy to travel any Saturday in the next few months, so some cheap advances Piccadilly to Shrewsbury would be great, but there don't seem to be any... Is it cheapest to split at shrewsbury? I'm guessing so... But what about a second split?

Many thanks
You could try getting an Advance ticket from Mauldeth Road to one of the stations at the southern end of the Heart of Wales line, to force the booking engine to route you that way. For example, on Saturday 20 October you can get an Advance ticket from Mauldeth Road to Bynea for £10.55 each way with a 16-25 Railcard. An Anytime day return from Bynea to Swansea (with railcard) is then about £3.50, making about £25 in total.
 

tamesidedepot

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
84
Can get an ADV from Mauldeth Road to Swansea for Sat 29 Sept dep 0659 changing at MAN and SHR for £10.55 (with railcard) returning at either 1316 (£15.20) or 1821 (£10.55) with various changes on the return - 1816 dep involves 6 hours at Piccadilly before the first Sunday train to Mauldeth Road! Make your own mind up about stopping short on that one at that time of night ....
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,785
Location
Newport Pagnell
Can get an ADV from Mauldeth Road to Swansea for Sat 29 Sept dep 0659 changing at MAN and SHR for £10.55 (with railcard) returning at either 1316 (£15.20) or 1821 (£10.55) with various changes on the return - 1816 dep involves 6 hours at Piccadilly before the first Sunday train to Mauldeth Road! Make your own mind up about stopping short on that one at that time of night ....

Or just go on the 0659 as far as Llanelli 1229 for a 1 hour break before and return on the 1337 (1316 ex Swansea). Or return from Swansea via Cardiff and the Marches for £10.55 as well. (might have to go later than 29/09!)

The HOW is quite scenic (but not the most scenic, I was a bit disappointed after waiting 20+ years to do it) so I think I'd prefer a change of scenery on the way back and a longer break/more sensible home time.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
Have you considered the Heart of Wales Circular Day Ranger. Only reason being that the earliest departure from Shrewsbury which has same day connections from MAN is the 0900 arriving Swansea 1306. Returns are at 1316 then 1821 to Shrewsbury. The 1821 has a connection for MAN arriving 2350. The Day Ranger gives the option of returning via Cardiff which is much faster.
Price is £21.10 with a railcard with no time limits for the ranger and £15 Return Mauldeth Rd - Shrewsbury - total £36.10

could be other splits, but this is something I'm considering myself, alas I'm in the age group that does not qualify for any discounts - too old but not old enough lol.

Thanks for your advice, and the change of scenery thing would be pleasant... IF they use a 175. Recently, I saw a Carmarthen departupre from Manchester Pic being worked by a 150 - enough to cry inside at that thought. I'm confused by your quote of 2350... if the HoW train arrives at Shrewsbury at 1821, why can I not take the 1855 to Wilmslow and then the 1956 to Mauldeth Road? This arrives at MAU at 20:22?
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,785
Location
Newport Pagnell
Thanks for your advice, and the change of scenery thing would be pleasant... IF they use a 175. Recently, I saw a Carmarthen departupre from Manchester Pic being worked by a 150 - enough to cry inside at that thought. I'm confused by your quote of 2350... if the HoW train arrives at Shrewsbury at 1821, why can I not take the 1855 to Wilmslow and then the 1956 to Mauldeth Road? This arrives at MAU at 20:22?

The HOW train does not arrive Shrewsbury at 1821, it leaves Swansea at 1821 and arrive Shrewsbury at 2208. Hence Picadilly at 2350.

As you're basically tied to which trains you use on the HOW, you may as well get advances both ways for £10.55 each (available first weekend in October if you want to travel both ways).
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Or just go on the 0659 as far as Llanelli 1229 for a 1 hour break before and return on the 1337 (1316 ex Swansea).

I wouldn't advise an hour at Llanelli on a Saturday. There isn't much to see!

The HOW is quite scenic (but not the most scenic, I was a bit disappointed after waiting 20+ years to do it) so I think I'd prefer a change of scenery on the way back and a longer break/more sensible home time.

I think the Marches line is underrated for scenery, at least between Abergavenny and Craven Arms. As I've got older I've enjoyed the views of the hills to the west of the route more and more.

IF they use a 175. Recently, I saw a Carmarthen departupre from Manchester Pic being worked by a 150 - enough to cry inside at that thought.

The vast majority of the trains are 175's. You are more likely to get a 158 than a 150.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
Alright everybody, thank you all for your prompt and helpful responses :) I'll decide between the circular ranger and some advances I think :D
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
Woo hoo! Booked. £21.25 with advances to Ffairfach and anytime return to Swansea. Now, does anyone know if they still have that little orange 153?

EDIT: just realised that the advances MAU - FFA are valid "via Shrewsbury" does this mean I don't need the ticket to Swansea, as it can just be part of my return journey Ffairfach - Swansea?
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
Woo hoo! Booked. £21.25 with advances to Ffairfach and anytime return to Swansea. Now, does anyone know if they still have that little orange 153?

EDIT: just realised that the advances MAU - FFA are valid "via Shrewsbury" does this mean I don't need the ticket to Swansea, as it can just be part of my return journey Ffairfach - Swansea?

Haha no the little orange 153 is now in Arriva blue livery :P
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
EDIT: just realised that the advances MAU - FFA are valid "via Shrewsbury" does this mean I don't need the ticket to Swansea, as it can just be part of my return journey Ffairfach - Swansea?

How are you going to get to Swansea in that case?
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
How are you going to get to Swansea in that case?

My thoughts (and I'm unsure If this is at all acceptable):

OUT Ticket: MAU - MAN - SHR - FFA
RTN Ticket: FFA (same train) - SWA - NWP - SHR - MAN - MAU

Or possibly converse...

According to the website, the advances are restricted to "via Shrewsbury"... dunno if this implicates their validity via Newport...

I'll just ask the guard what he/she thinks in any case, rather than ordering any more tickets!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
I'll just ask the guard what he/she thinks in any case, rather than ordering any more tickets!

I assume that you have no reservation coupon for the leg on the HoW line?

In that case, I agree that you could ask the guard for permission to go the other way. There is nothing to lose and the worst he/she can say is "no".
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
I assume that you have no reservation coupon for the leg on the HoW line?

In that case, I agree that you could ask the guard for permission to go the other way. There is nothing to lose and the worst he/she can say is "no".

That's an interesting point actually, no reservations are issued for any part of the journey... so how can I be booked on a specific train (they're advances)? If it says on the tickets, surely not all 3 trains will appear? And the advances I've had in the past have said merely "BOOKDTRAINONLY"...

I've just managed to confuse myself intensely! Surely it is either a case of them being valid or otherwise and is not related to the guard's opinion?
Capture.PNG
 
Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
no reservations are issued for any part of the journey... so how can I be booked on a specific train (they're advances)? If it says on the tickets, surely not all 3 trains will appear?
Do you actually have the tickets?

If so, you will see that each Advance Single ticket is marked VALID ONLY WITH RESERVATION(S). Please tell us what each reservation voucher says.

If not, we can only give you limited advice until you receive the tickets. Although reserved seats are not provided by ATW with Advance tickets, they do issue reservation vouchers for specific trains marked "Coach * Seat ***". They call this a reserved place system. With an Advance ticket, you must travel on trains for which you have a reserved place. You may have more flexibility with any train(s) on your itinerary for which no reservation vouchers have been issued, but we are not yet able to give you detailed advice.

EDIT It is now clear from your latest post that you will indeed have reservation vouchers for the four ATW trains. You must travel on these trains. You have a little more flexibility with the two Northern trains.

I've just managed to confuse myself intensely! Surely it is either a case of them being valid or otherwise and is not related to the guard's opinion?
Indeed. Using different ATW trains to travel via Newport would not be valid.
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
Do you actually have the tickets?

If so, you will see that each Advance Single ticket is marked VALID ONLY WITH RESERVATION(S). Please tell us what each reservation voucher says.

If not, we can only give you limited advice until you receive the tickets. Although reserved seats are not provided by ATW with Advance tickets, they do issue reservation vouchers for specific trains marked "Coach * Seat ***". They call this a reserved place system. With an Advance ticket, you must travel on trains for which you have a reserved place. You may have more flexibility with any train(s) on your itinerary for which no reservation vouchers have been issued, but we are not yet able to give you detailed advice.

EDIT It is now clear from your latest post that you will indeed have reservation vouchers for the four ATW trains. You must travel on these trains. You have a little more flexibility with the two Northern trains.

Ohhhh! I see. No, I haven't collected them yet - if I had I would have taken a picture of them, hence why I posted the bit from the website. I didn't realise that the wonders of our ticketing system means I will be issued seat reservations... and not be reserved a seat. Oh well - it's probably not going to be very busy! hahah!

That makes my observations about the "via Shrewsbury" part seem a little stupid... it doesn't matter because I'm booked on these trains.

But if that's the case... why is the "via Shrewsbury" there in the first place? The way I'm going "via" is dictated by the reservations... and its not as if I'm going to want to avoid Shrewsbury is it!? Very odd.

Anyway, all sorted, I'd better go and pick them up! :)
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
ATW stopped issuing automatic reservations with Advance tickets a while back. They're also introducing penalty fares for staffed stations in November.
 

142056

Member
Joined
27 May 2009
Messages
129
Location
Manchester
I too have tickets for a similar journey, but from Bath one way to Manchester, split at Swansea. Got the tickets today, in typical ATW fashion it's Coach X Seat XXX, does this however mean that I could go to a station to reserve specific seats?

And my ticket is ROUTE: AP FGW/ATW&CONN, VALIDITY: BOOKDTRAINONLY.
 

tamesidedepot

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
84
Did a similar journey to yours today - the 0739 from Stockport to Shrewsbury, then the 0900 through to Swansea. £16 for an advance, and yes there was a reservation coupon for both legs.
The 0900 was a 150 today (150 254) and on arrival at Llanwrtyd Wells we had to wait for the 153 coming up from Swansea. The guard said that it could be a while, so if you want to stretch you legs have a wander on the platform! The crew changed here to, and the trolley service was swapped over from the 153 (153 367)
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
Did a similar journey to yours today - the 0739 from Stockport to Shrewsbury, then the 0900 through to Swansea. £16 for an advance, and yes there was a reservation coupon for both legs.
The 0900 was a 150 today (150 254) and on arrival at Llanwrtyd Wells we had to wait for the 153 coming up from Swansea. The guard said that it could be a while, so if you want to stretch you legs have a wander on the platform! The crew changed here to, and the trolley service was swapped over from the 153 (153 367)

Doh! I hope that atw are doing everything in their power to ensure that 150s do not appear on this route more often. :(

Anyway, sounds good! I'd have thought the route would be much too remote for a crew change part way along it, were they just swapping trains?

And another question, if anyone knows, when the 153s were "converted" as it were - were they all made the same? The two carriages of a 155 are surely not identical (luggage racks, toilets ect), so is the layout of 153s half and half, or are they all the same now? Right down to the seating configuration, toilets ect. (allowing for modifications since they were split, I mean).
 

tamesidedepot

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
84
was a simple swap of trains, the Shrewsbury crew took the 153 back north, with the crew which had brought it taking the 150 south. I thought it was a mistake in the timetable that there was a trolley service, but it did appear for the second half. I think the 3rd unit today was 153 353 as this was on platform 1 at Swansea when I arrived.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Doh! I hope that atw are doing everything in their power to ensure that 150s do not appear on this route more often. :(

Anyway, sounds good! I'd have thought the route would be much too remote for a crew change part way along it, were they just swapping trains?

Yes, the crew of the Swansea bound train swap over with the Shrewsbury bound crew. Llanwrtyd has been the point for the crew change for at least the last thrity years, but there is no depot or sign on point there.

150's are not at all uncommon as the HoW diagrams interwork with West Wales services, where they can be found on quite a few turns, sometimes substituting for a 158!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
was a simple swap of trains, the Shrewsbury crew took the 153 back north, with the crew which had brought it taking the 150 south. I thought it was a mistake in the timetable that there was a trolley service, but it did appear for the second half. I think the 3rd unit today was 153 353 as this was on platform 1 at Swansea when I arrived.

I think it is HoWLTA that provide the trolley services? It used to be anyway!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top