• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matt LeBlanc and 4 others join Top Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
I still stand by my earlier judgement. Ditch Evans, shorten the interview segment (or just ditch it) and I think the BBC have a decent show here particularly if other Chris was given more of a role.

TV shows love celebrity appearances, and I don't mean chat shows, but just about everything. Any excuse to get a big name on.

I can't see them dropping this segment however bad it is. They probably have people lining up to appear.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
TV shows love celebrity appearances, and I don't mean chat shows, but just about everything. Any excuse to get a big name on.

I can't see them dropping this segment however bad it is. They probably have people lining up to appear.

No I can't see them dropping it either but it shouldn't be twenty minutes long and they do need to, in my opinion, make changes such as getting rid of the silly audience participation, stop having guests introducing each other, possibly go back to one guest per show unless the two are somehow linked (i.e. both are on the same show or similar).

As you are probably aware the BBC are always right. The chance of them ditching Evans is less than nil as that would mean they have to admit being wrong which they are hardwired to never ever do.

Guess we'll have to wait and see but I think you might be right :(
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
No I can't see them dropping it either but it shouldn't be twenty minutes long and they do need to, in my opinion, make changes such as getting rid of the silly audience participation, stop having guests introducing each other, possibly go back to one guest per show unless the two are somehow linked (i.e. both are on the same show or similar).

Or happen to be conjoined twins...

Seriously, that happened on a car show very much like Top Gear in Vietnam a few years ago - There was much debate as to who to award the time to
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
She'd appeared in 18 fairly well known movies, as well as several less known movies prior to her 2011 appearance on Top Gear! I'd say she was probably well known to many movie fanatics.
I only knew her name before I googled her, only heard of one of her films
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,126
Location
Birmingham
I tried and failed to watch it. Chris Evans voice grates on me to the extent that I do not even listen to Radio2 in the morning anymore.
 

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
I tried and failed to watch it. Chris Evans voice grates on me to the extent that I do not even listen to Radio2 in the morning anymore.

70% of it isn't Chris Evans.

I see the Monday evening repeat of topgear last night pulled in 0.9m, up 200k on the week before, bringing the legacy viewing figures at this time for week 3 upto 3.2m, vs week 2 at 3.5m and week 1 at 5.1m

The big question is, are the 1.75m iplayer viewers holding up?
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
70% of it isn't Chris Evans.

I see the Monday evening repeat of topgear last night pulled in 0.9m, up 200k on the week before, bringing the legacy viewing figures at this time for week 3 upto 3.2m, vs week 2 at 3.5m and week 1 at 5.1m

The big question is, are the 1.75m iplayer viewers holding up?

I've watched all but the first week on iplayer, due to prioritising live football matches which will be ruined if I hear the score before watching them on demand.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Private Eye says that Reid and Harris will be in the main series soon, so expect to see more of them (and LeBlanc) and less of Evans. I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of Evans after this series and use LeBlanc, Reid and Harris as their main three presenters.
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
Well, this thread is awfully quiet! I thought that last nights show had quite a few good segments, including the Aston Martin Vulcan and the Tesla model X. Chris Evans is starting to grate less, although whether that is because he is toning himself down or I am starting to develop some kind of Stockholm Syndrome remains to be seen! The interview section (featuring Bear Grylls and Brian Cox) was still a bit dire though.
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
In the Netherlands they said that yesterday's episode had 100.000 viewers less than last week.
 

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
A shame that Stig wasn't on the train.

Overnight figures for those watching in legacy mode are 2.3m for the Sunday evening show, same as the week before.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
Last night's was fine, it seems to be improving and I like the additional presenters.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
I enjoyed elements of last nights show.
Matt Le blanc seems to be taking a more leading role in the introductions and studio bit.
I thought Sabine was robotic,
 

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
Well, this thread is awfully quiet!

Well when people who don't watch the new series are criticised for commenting on this thread what do you expect?

Latest episode drew smallest live audience ever, just 2.34m.

Interesting article in the Radio Times saying that the Beeb bosses might well be pleased with the new show and that it stays well away from controversy. But they will have to accept that it may never attract the audience numbers the former trio did.
 
Last edited:

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
I thought Sunday's episode was good, Chris Harris and Rory's pieces were great.

My biggest issue is the 'stars in a rally cross car' segment - it's way too long, it's not a chat show, especially when you consider the previous 'star in a reasonably priced car' was getting tedious in later series anyway.
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
I thought Sabine was robotic,
It doesn't help that English isn't her first language.

My biggest issue is the 'stars in a rally cross car' segment - it's way too long, it's not a chat show, especially when you consider the previous 'star in a reasonably priced car' was getting tedious in later series anyway.
I couldn't agree more - 20 odd minutes for this segment is ridiculous and it detracts from the rest of the show.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
I couldn't agree more - 20 odd minutes for this segment is ridiculous and it detracts from the rest of the show.

Maybe why a large proportion of viewers watch on iplayer to skip this bit? I like the rally cross driving just not the yapping
 

Railops

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2016
Messages
352
LeBlanc now saying he won't do another series if Evans is in it, seems the BBC have an almighty turkey on their hands.
 

Railops

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2016
Messages
352
It's the Daily Mail, they've had it in for Chris Evans since day 0.

It's the Daily Mail reporting a Sun story and they like Chris Evans.
If you're trying to say Chris Evans has done well you only have to look at the viewing figures.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top