• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matt LeBlanc and 4 others join Top Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Just tried watching it as I recorded it and found it very forced and had to turn off after 15 minutes as it was just not worth the effort on me day off.

Mind you ive still got some painting to do so mayber Ill try and watch it again :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,943
Location
UK
Rowan Atkinson was rumoured to be an outsider to join as a presenter. I imagine he would have been more popular to the UK audience than Evans or Le Blanc but he would probably have costed more than Evans and wouldn't have had the same international appeal as Le Blanc.

He's quite well known around the world. The Mr Bean series' were sold all over the world, and I'm sure Blackadder and other older shows have been shown worldwide too.

I think he could have been great, but of course he may not have actually wanted to do it.
 

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
He's quite well known around the world. The Mr Bean series' were sold all over the world, and I'm sure Blackadder and other older shows have been shown worldwide too.

I think he could have been great, but of course he may not have actually wanted to do it.

The Bean film took $250m worldwide in 1997, and was the 13th biggest film of the year, ahead of Face/Off and Batman and Robin, just behind The Full Monty and The Fifth Element, and trouncing Speed 2 and Starship Troopers.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I think the chemistry between them will improve. If you look back 10 years at Top Gear when you has the old trio, it was quite wooden and forced.

I actually watched the first couple of series recently, and while the chemistry hadn't really developed yet, the studio sections didn't feel particularly scripted and it didn't feel forced or wooden like the new episode did. I will probably go back and watch them again sometime.
The most noticeable difference was how small the audience was, with only a handful of people there compared to the packed studio we've got used to - it seemed weirdly empty.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,943
Location
UK
There are a lot of people saying it's the first episode/series and the first episode/series of the 'new' Top Gear took a while to get going, but this is a continuation of an existing formula - not something new as that was, bar a modified track for the updated 'star not in a reasonably priced car'.

I hope Evans isn't going to continue to ask questions that are just to let it be known that he has a particular car. Stuff like 'So when did you get yours?' is just him being a total show off.

Plenty of people hated Clarkson for his ego, so goodness knows how a lot of people will withstand Evans week in and week out if he carries on as he did.

But, you'd hope they can fix things quite easily. They should be doing the studio stuff today, so have almost certainly had time to make tweaks. I am assuming they're back to doing it the same week as broadcast and not a week ahead.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
I figure I'll give them a few weeks so they have plenty of time to tweak the studio stuff but if it doesn't improve then I think I'm either going stop completely or just pick and choose which films within the program I watch rather than watching the whole thing like I did this week (and used to do with 'old new' Top Gear).
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
They should be doing the studio stuff today, so have almost certainly had time to make tweaks. I am assuming they're back to doing it the same week as broadcast and not a week ahead.

They filmed one episode today, they're filming another tomorrow and they're filming on Wednesday and Thursday next week: http://www.applausestore.com/book-top-gear-2016

Given there's supposed to be 6 in the series that likely means episode 2 was filmed last week and episodes 3 and 4 are being filmed this week.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,630
Location
Isle of Man
There are a lot of people saying it's the first episode/series and the first episode/series of the 'new' Top Gear took a while to get going, but this is a continuation of an existing formula - not something new as that was, bar a modified track for the updated 'star not in a reasonably priced car'.

It's the same formula, but it's different presenters, different producers and different script editors. Andy Wilman and Richard Porter- who both really made the old show- have followed Clarkson off to Amazon Prime.

There's always been bits that people like and bits that people don't like. I always fast forward through the star interview, even when it was Clarkson.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,943
Location
UK
I like cars, so will just do what I always do - record it and watch later so I can fast forward through the crap bits.

I am sure most car fans will watch this, the Grand Tour and other car programmes.. as well as the great content you can get on YouTube.

Chris Evans seems to be the one that needs the most work, but that's only an opinion.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Chris Evans seems to be the one that needs the most work, but that's only an opinion.

He does but the only TV presenting he knows through TFI and The Big Breakfast is to be shouty all the time and it doesnt work that well on the motoring show. At least when the last lot were doing it they only raised their voices generally when introducing the star in car bit.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I always fast forward through the star interview, even when it was Clarkson.

I skipped Clarkson's interviews as well. The worst one was when he had Amber Heard as guest, before anyone knew who she was and Clarkson seemed more interested in her relationship (which was with another woman) than cars. Clarkson even said the producers said he shouldn't try and get her as a guest!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
I skipped Clarkson's interviews as well. The worst one was when he had Amber Heard as guest, before anyone knew who she was and Clarkson seemed more interested in her relationship (which was with another woman) than cars. Clarkson even said the producers said he shouldn't try and get her as a guest!

Same here, one part of the show which I pretty always skipped. Especially when it turned into just another promotion opportunity for some movie/music/comedy star to promote their latest movie/album/tour.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
I've just finished watching Ep1. I really don't see any real problems with it.
Le Blanc's presenting style is a bit stilted, but that'll develop.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
I skipped Clarkson's interviews as well. The worst one was when he had Amber Heard as guest, before anyone knew who she was and Clarkson seemed more interested in her relationship (which was with another woman) than cars. Clarkson even said the producers said he shouldn't try and get her as a guest!

You mean before YOU knew who she was?
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
You mean before YOU knew who she was?

I mean before most people in the UK knew who she was. It would have been different if it had been filmed the same year for Top Gear USA.

She'd appeared in 18 fairly well known movies, as well as several less known movies prior to her 2011 appearance on Top Gear! I'd say she was probably well known to many movie fanatics.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,940
Location
Fenny Stratford
I watched the first TG with the new crew on Iplayer today and it didn't seem as bad as some of you make out. It was just as silly and funny as the previous lot but with obvious work needed on relationships and a more comfortable presenting style. Chris Evans does shout a little but the way some of you carry on about him is rather odd!
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
I don't think it was as bad as made out. It's just change and a lot of people don't embrace change.
I liked tonight's South Africa road trip
I also think le blanc is the best of the presenters,
 

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
I enjoyed tonight's episode, a good range of cars. I'm glad that a British car now has the track speed record!
 

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
Didn't watch it and won't until they drop Evans as lead presenter. Viewing figures today will reveal how popular the show really is. Rumours on the Internet that Beeb bosses are already in damage control mode after disastrous feedback from first show, along with accusations that "canned laughter" was used to cover up awkward silences in studio filming. Those of you that liked it are perfectly welcome to it. In the meantime until the new series is launched with the old trio there are all the old episodes to watch again.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,940
Location
Fenny Stratford
Didn't watch it and won't until they drop Evans as lead presenter. Viewing figures today will reveal how popular the show really is. Rumours on the Internet that Beeb bosses are already in damage control mode after disastrous feedback from first show, along with accusations that "canned laughter" was used to cover up awkward silences in studio filming. Those of you that liked it are perfectly welcome to it. In the meantime until the new series is launched with the old trio there are all the old episodes to watch again.

I don't understand this hatred for Chris Evans! what has he done wrong? It isn't like he has ever punched member of staff for not bringing him his dinner.............
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I don't understand this hatred for Chris Evans! what has he done wrong? It isn't like he has ever punched member of staff for not bringing him his dinner.............

I don't understand the hatred for Chris Evans, although I suffer from it too and it's got nothing to do with Top Gear. I do hate the programme, too, and I always have, since the days of William Woollard

I also hate Jeremy Clarkson. Maybe I just hate everyone? Maybe not, as I liked William Woollard on Tomorrow's World :D

I don't hate either of them enough to want them to come to any harm. I just can't stand seeing them on TV!
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
He isn't Clarkson

And he still shouts too much. To be fair, he'd toned it down a bit during the recorded segments last night, but he is still very loud in the studio parts. He's also taken what was the worst part of Top Gear - Star in a reasonably priced car, and made it worse. The rallycross thing itself is good, but the interviews are horrid - the whole thing with 2 guests comparing first cars and best cars, is just awful- not to mention getting the guests to talk about the other guests' shows/tours/other promotable activities. On the plus side, we appear to be on an upwards trend, so it may be enjoyable come episode 4.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
not to mention getting the guests to talk about the other guests' shows/tours/other promotable activities.

That is the second time this has been mentioned now.

Why do you think guests go on any chat show/chat segment?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I don't understand the hatred for Chris Evans, although I suffer from it too and it's got nothing to do with Top Gear. I do hate the programme, too, and I always have, since the days of William Woollard

I also hate Jeremy Clarkson. Maybe I just hate everyone? Maybe not, as I liked William Woollard on Tomorrow's World :D

I don't hate either of them enough to want them to come to any harm. I just can't stand seeing them on TV!

Do you remember when Noel Edmonds used to be one of the presenters (back in the eighties I think).

In my view Clarkson, Tiff and Quentin Wilson are the best ever presenters of the show.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
The first 12 seconds is how Chris Evans should present the rest of the series.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That is the second time this has been mentioned now.

Why do you think guests go on any chat show/chat segment?

I think you have misunderstood. Guest A talks about guest B's work and guest B talks about guest A's work....no need for it.
 

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
The first 12 seconds is how Chris Evans should present the rest of the series.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


I think you have misunderstood. Guest A talks about guest B's work and guest B talks about guest A's work....no need for it.

Did that continue in episode 2 then?

I wonder if Evans refuses to do the chat-show plugging thing?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top