• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marylebone Stratford Steam in 1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinzaD9007

New Member
Joined
9 Oct 2015
Messages
2
I am in the process of going through some old photos of the Sunday Lunch trains of the 1985-1988 period from London, which I am Ok for steam as the basics are listed in the Steam Returns to London Book.

I am trying to work out : -
1. Which dates were Steam hauled throughout both ways
2. Which dates and what Diesels were used at Stratford to release/shunt stock and assist by pushing out (if required)

Then later the services were changed to Steam from London to Banbury and from Stratford, Diesel Banbury to Stratford, so again
3. Which dates were Steam hauled London-Banbury/SONA-London
4. What was the Diesel used Banbury to Stratford.

Also those to/from York/Sheffield via Stratford

If anyone were on these services and can assist by providing this information, or have logs/photos what was used, then please can you contact me here or email pinza55007@btinternet.com
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Have you looked at UK Steam Info website, although I am not sure how far they go back. Otherwise there was and maybe still is a site called SIX Bells Junction, which did go back many many years and that shows steam and diesel. Good luck. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I Just looked at the above Six Bells Website that I mentioned and selected a date at random in 1986, which happended to be 12 October 1986 and on that day there were two services from Marylebone to Stratford upon Avon, these were operated by none other than, LNER, Sir Nigel Gresley & Mallard.
 
Last edited:

pinzaD9007

New Member
Joined
9 Oct 2015
Messages
2
Have you looked at UK Steam Info website, although I am not sure how far they go back. Otherwise there was and maybe still is a site called SIX Bells Junction, which did go back many many years and that shows steam and diesel. Good luck. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I Just looked at the above Six Bells Website that I mentioned and selected a date at random in 1986, which happended to be 12 October 1986 and on that day there were two services from Marylebone to Stratford upon Avon, these were operated by none other than, LNER, Sir Nigel Gresley & Mallard.
Thanks for reply Stevieboy,
I have looked before at Six Bells, and there are numerous services not listed.

I have all the steam locos working the services, just not sure which were worked throughout, and which were only to Banbury/from Stratford.
The photos I have are of the Diesels at Stratford, including class 31/37/45/47 including NSE 47583, and 50 which I want confirming/advising dates, and what were on the service on other missing dates.
So far I have (all subject to confirmation)
31127 for 4498 on 3/2/85
31459 (heating and banking) for 4498 on 16/2/85
45135 for 4498 on 7/12/85 (from and to Banbury)
47419 for 4472 on 29/12/85 (from Banbury and return to London?0
45012 for 4472 on 12/1/86 (return from Stratford)
37427 for 4498 on 27/4/86
47186 for 4472 on 4/5/86
47600 for 4498 on 5/5/86
47644 for 777 on 11/5/86
47632 for 4498 on 11/5/86
50028 for 777 on 18/5/86
47423 for 777 on 26/5/86
45103 for 777 on 8/6/86 (from Banbury-Stratford-London)
47633 for 4498 on 15/6/86
47566 for 4472 on 22/6/86 (Banbury-Stratford-London?)
45107 for 777 on 6/7/86
50048 for 777 on 13/7/86
47626 for 35028 on 10/8/86
47479 for 4498 on 17/8/86
47290 for 4498 on 12/10/86
47316 for 4468 on 12/10/86
45149 for 35028 on 19/10/86
31407 for 4472 on 26/10/86
31446 for 4468 on 26/10/86
47481 for steam on 15/2/87 (London-Stratford-London)
47226 for 5305 on 17/4/88
47549 for 7029 on 29/5/88
47543 for 34092 on 12/6/88
47615 for 4771 on 2/8/87

Colin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top