• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marylebone old stock ADB968000

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Class 15 ADB968000 (previously numbered D8243) was stabled at Marylebone for a number of years. It had been converted to a train pre-heating unit, it was unable to move under its own power.

What years was it allocated to Marylebone?

I am trying to date a steam railtour that left Marylebone in the late 80s. I remember that the old Class 15 was there at the same time.

I might have a negative of the steam loco somewhere at home, but I have over 600 rolls to look through :(

Thanks in advance :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,223
Location
Stockport
It's shown in the BR Diesel & Electric Loco Directory as starting its departmental life at Stratford in Sept. 1969, and withdrawal from service at Marylebone as a heating unit in October 1987, cut up at Vic Berry Leicester March 1990.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,223
Location
Stockport
Thanks Ash :)

That site is brilliant. Might fill in a few blanks I have :)

I actually got the info from the hardback book published by OPC and compiled by Colin J Marsden, I think I have a another copy kicking around somewhere.
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
I actually got the info from the hardback book published by OPC and compiled by Colin J Marsden, I think I have a another copy kicking around somewhere.

I have a copy of a blue covered on at home 198? and another too. Somewhere in the loft in one of many boxes.

Must dig them out. Thing is there are a lot of boxes to look through.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
I always found those train heating locos fascinating - probably because they were the last survivors of classes which had been withdrawn before my time. I had it in my mind that this 15 spent a long time at Litchurch Lane (where it was used for testing the ETH on the new Mk. 3 Sleepers), but looking at those records, it seems it was there only in 1982 (and possibly some of 1981/1983). It's amazing how the brain can play tricks....
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,223
Location
Stockport
I always found those train heating locos fascinating - probably because they were the last survivors of classes which had been withdrawn before my time. I had it in my mind that this 15 spent a long time at Litchurch Lane (where it was used for testing the ETH on the new Mk. 3 Sleepers), but looking at those records, it seems it was there only in 1982 (and possibly some of 1981/1983). It's amazing how the brain can play tricks....

There's some interesting pictures/info on the Class 15 Preservation Society's website re: the the current state of play with D8233.
 

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2014
Messages
3,277
It was there from Autumn 1985 to March 1990. Intercity then got rid of it to Vic Berry's.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
There's some interesting pictures/info on the Class 15 Preservation Society's website re: the the current state of play with D8233.

Yes there is, I'm a member of the C15PS (in fact it's one of the two railway preservation group's which I've left money to in my will). Fingers crossed in a few years, the loco will be up and running again.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was there from Autumn 1985 to March 1990. Intercity then got rid of it to Vic Berry's.

Did you have much experience of the Train Heating Class 15s when you were based at Finsbury Park? Were they used a lot, and were they reliable?
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,223
Location
Stockport
Yes there is, I'm a member of the C15PS (in fact it's one of the two railway preservation group's which I've left money to in my will). Fingers crossed in a few years, the loco will be up and running again.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Can't wait to see that, will make a lovely sight (and sound)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top