• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Martello @ NVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
I understand that the terrier Martello was unable to haul shuttles as planned at the NVR Southern Gala, and instead was restricted to hauling brakevan rides around a station yard. I’m just interested to know what the reason for this was - my best guess is either a brake issue which limited haulage capacity or a lack of trained drivers?

Cheers!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bedpan

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
1,299
Location
Harpenden
Could the weather have had anything to do with the decision - greasy rails making adhesion difficult for a lightweight loco etc? That said I don't think that the Nene Valley has any gradients of any significance which might compound the problem.
 
Joined
13 Sep 2018
Messages
287
Could the weather have had anything to do with the decision - greasy rails making adhesion difficult for a lightweight loco etc? That said I don't think that the Nene Valley has any gradients of any significance which might compound the problem.
Another forum ascribes the reason as "worn tyres".Lack of grip was always improbable as they have 100% adhesion and a couple I know of have no problem in whisking a train weighing about the same as 2 Mark 1s away up 1 in 70. I gather they require their crews to develop "the knack" but once this is acquired the performance is astonishing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top