• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mark 1 Carriages information ~~ Rhymney valley mid to late 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

ancientsolar

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2016
Messages
32
Hey everyone, in the 90s while I was a child,. I travelled with my Nan to Ystrad Mynach from Cardiff.

The carriage we got on was very wooden (I think the exterior was green but may'be not).
The seats we sat on were wood without any covering and near the entrance door.
One seat then a quarter of a circle wooden table then another wooden seat, meant for 1 person

The bluebell railway, the off centred arches shown in this picture of the carriage, seem to match what I remember , but this picture doesn't show seating near the door
May'be it was primarily a place where people would stand,. ~~ excuse my rubbish drawing of my memory as a child
train picture.png

Anyway, any help would be amazing, and if you have pictures of a carriage like the one I have described with the odd shaped table, please share it :)

 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

47827

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2020
Messages
591
Location
Middleport
I had some journeys on mk1 stock over the second half of the 90s after the ropey Waterman Air con Mk2 stock vanished. I'm sure 47522 on the 1705 Cardiff to Rhymney (plus 1910 FO return) was 1 such occasion but I was out the front window most of the journeys so can't recall whether any of the interiors were wooden panelled or not. WCRC had an odd mk1 vehicle with the wooden style panelling (1 first and 1 standard at least) and I know they sent 2 short rakes down for Bargoed shuttles an odd Saturday for sports events but I don't recall what interiors they had. I think I had 47306/798 on such workings as recently as March 2000. 306 never worked on the mainline again and was withdrawn on the Monday morning after its final movements with the ECS back north followed by a ballast train back to Wigan.

PS it could even have been the Hastings DEMU which is actually green as I once had a short leap on that down to Cardiff and its interior is quite traditional I think?
 

delt1c

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2008
Messages
2,182
Hey everyone, in the 90s while I was a child,. I travelled with my Nan to Ystrad Mynach from Cardiff.

The carriage we got on was very wooden (I think the exterior was green but may'be not).
The seats we sat on were wood without any covering and near the entrance door.
One seat then a quarter of a circle wooden table then another wooden seat, meant for 1 person

The bluebell railway, the off centred arches shown in this picture of the carriage, seem to match what I remember , but this picture doesn't show seating near the door
May'be it was primarily a place where people would stand,. ~~ excuse my rubbish drawing of my memory as a child
View attachment 81085

Anyway, any help would be amazing, and if you have pictures of a carriage like the one I have described with the odd shaped table, please share it :)

Can’t recall any Mk1 seats which were wood without any coverings. Nor can I recall a table of that shape in a MK 1.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top