• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Wayfarer ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,301
Location
South West London
Any suggestions for particular lines/bus routes to travel on with this ticket? I plan to go out to Glossop and out to Holmfirth if possible, but I want to know what else is good and bad about this ticket.

(I'd be starting my journey from rural-y Ashton-Under-Lyne)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
"Rural" Ashton-u-L?

It covers a huge swathe if Peak District buses out to Matlock and Ashbourne if that's your thing. A bus ride over the Cat & Fiddle between Macclesfield and Buxton is well worth it.
 

Polarbear

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2008
Messages
1,922
Location
Birkenhead
As I recall, the bus route from Glossop out to Holmfirth only runs at certain times?

A lot will depend on what you prefer to do, and how far you want to stray from the rail network. As Ianno87 says, there are a number of excellent bus runs through the Derbyshire dales, and the 58 between Macclesfield & Buxton is definitely worth a go. Getting to Ashbourne is do-able, but probably best via Buxton as there aren't that many buses via Leek these days.

As for the ticket, it's a very good value ticket that covers a wide area - lots to do. Just be careful if going out to the extremities, such as Burnley, as you're limited to certain operators that far out. Don't be too surprised to have some bus drivers do a double take or question it's validity either.
 

trickyvegas

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
362
There's a regular Glossop - New Mills bus service - Number 61 which is handy for linking the Glossop and Buxton lines
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,301
Location
South West London
"Rural" Ashton-u-L?

It covers a huge swathe if Peak District buses out to Matlock and Ashbourne if that's your thing. A bus ride over the Cat & Fiddle between Macclesfield and Buxton is well worth it.

It's semi rural as it's quite far out of the centre of Ashton, on a country road so it would be a 25 minute walk to the bus station
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
I did one of these last Friday, i ended up going from Piccadilly out to Glossop across to Buxton on the 61, and then getting the TransPeak back to Stockport.
 

MG11

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2017
Messages
638
Any suggestions for particular lines/bus routes to travel on with this ticket? I plan to go out to Glossop and out to Holmfirth if possible, but I want to know what else is good and bad about this ticket.

(I'd be starting my journey from rural-y Ashton-Under-Lyne)
Grindleford is great! Try the Maynard in Grindleford, it's great for a spot of lunch. Head along the long station approach road and on your left you will find it. The village has amazing scenery and is the startmof some great walks, if you like a ramble. There is another public house in Grindleford as well, so if you like a beer or wine, then you are well catered for.
To get there, catch a Northern service from Piccadilly (Manchester), usually bound for Sheffield, the information desk on the station concourse will be able to give you advice, if you are unsure.
 
Last edited:

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
Be aware that some bus drivers-especially those driving the white/pink-purple buses-have absolutely zero knowledge of these tickets and will try to refuse you travel as 'it normally says plusbus on it'...
 

Llandudno

Established Member
Joined
25 Dec 2014
Messages
2,750
Location
Matlock
Great value ticket and a good way to avoid evening peak restrictions on off-peak return tickets around Manchester.
The route map on the TfGM website suggests that direct train travel between Warrington BQ and Wigan NW may not be permitted, however, it does state that the tickets are valid on Virgin Trains.
I emailed customer services at TfGM and the reply confirmed they could be used on direct trains - but I am not convinced!
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Great value ticket and a good way to avoid evening peak restrictions on off-peak return tickets around Manchester.
The route map on the TfGM website suggests that direct train travel between Warrington BQ and Wigan NW may not be permitted, however, it does state that the tickets are valid on Virgin Trains.
I emailed customer services at TfGM and the reply confirmed they could be used on direct trains - but I am not convinced!

Wigan-Warrington direct hasn't been valid for many years (it was at some point in the dim and distant past, I recall)

Validity on Virgin Trains is of course between Piccadilly, Stockport and Macclesfield/Wilmslow.
 

ashworth

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2008
Messages
1,285
Location
Notts
Be aware that some bus drivers-especially those driving the white/pink-purple buses-have absolutely zero knowledge of these tickets and will try to refuse you travel as 'it normally says plusbus on it'...

I had that problem when I used one in February this year. A driver on the number 17 Bus in Rochdale absolutely refused to accept my ticket and wouldn’t let me travel. The problem was I’d got it at Manchester Piccadilly and it was printed on rail ticket stock with the words Rail Ranger printed on it. I gave up in the end and got off the bus mainly as the driver was getting a bit abusive and I was holding up a queue of passengers. I went and got a Manchester Wayfarer Leaflet from the Travel Centre to show to any future drivers who caused me probelems. Even then one driver took some convincing.
 
Last edited:

MG11

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2017
Messages
638
I had that problem when I used one in February this year. A driver on the number 17 Bus in Rochdale absolutely refused to accept my ticket and wouldn’t let me travel. The problem was I’d got it at Manchester Piccadilly and it was printed on rail ticket stock with the words Rail Ranger printed on it. I gave up in the end and got off the bus mainly as the driver was getting a bit abusive and I was holding up a queue of passengers. I went and got a Manchester Wayfarer Leaflet from the Travel Centre p show to any future drivers who caused me probelems. Even then one driver took some convincing.

I'd always advise customers to do this when travelling on a ticket that's a little unusual.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
When Wayfarers were issued on scratch-off stock, their recognition/acceptance was *never* a problem personally.

Irritates me that the burden of proof seems to have to fall on the passenger these days, becuase of bus drivers who aren't trained properly or can't be bothered to read their briefing notices. Just puts people off buying the ticket in the first place.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Also be aware TfGM take years to update the list of participating operators. Apparently they aren't still accepted on D&G Bus services despite the TfGM list saying otherwise and good luck finding a BakerBus service in the validity area!
 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
I had that problem when I used one in February this year. A driver on the number 17 Bus in Rochdale absolutely refused to accept my ticket and wouldn’t let me travel. The problem was I’d got it at Manchester Piccadilly and it was printed on rail ticket stock with the words Rail Ranger printed on it. I gave up in the end and got off the bus mainly as the driver was getting a bit abusive and I was holding up a queue of passengers. I went and got a Manchester Wayfarer Leaflet from the Travel Centre to show to any future drivers who caused me probelems. Even then one driver took some convincing.


You should had just sat down if you had a valid ticket and told him to contact his supervisor.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top