• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to Wakefield via Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

BitterLemon

New Member
Joined
21 Jun 2025
Messages
1
Location
Salford
Is an any permitted route ticket between Manchester and Wakefield valid via Sheffield?

I have tried using the routing guide and it seems to suggest that it is - but I cannot get a single booking platform to sell a through ticket for this journey, only split tickets broken at Sheffield.

The reason I would like to travel this way is that on Christmas Eve there are no direct trains between Manchester and Wakefield, and the route via Leeds takes longer than via Sheffield. All the booking platforms indeed highlight the Sheffield connection as fastest - but with no valid fare if split ticketing turned off.

The routing guide shows maps MK, HO and YL are applicable, and the latter two show travel via Sheffield.

I can’t find any reason why any booking engine would not be able to sell the ticket. Am I missing something?

Apologies if this has already been answered but my search yielded nothing.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

To answer my own question: a look at the maps with fresh eyes - between Manchester and Chinley the permitted route on maps YL and HO is via Guide Bridge, not Stockport. So that would prevent taking the useful TPE between Manchester and Sheffield via Stockport - and why no valid fare is found.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,654
Location
Greater Manchester
To answer my own question: a look at the maps with fresh eyes - between Manchester and Chinley the permitted route on maps YL and HO is via Guide Bridge, not Stockport. So that would prevent taking the useful TPE between Manchester and Sheffield via Stockport - and why no valid fare is found.
Forcing trainsplit to go via Guide bridge does offer you the flexible fare, but obviously that takes away some of the time saved.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,801
Location
UK
The reason it's not showing as permitted on a through ticket is that the mapped routes only allow travel via Sheffield if you get there via Romiley.

Most fast services from Manchester to Sheffield run via Stockport, hence they don't follow a mapped route. There are a few exceptions, however - such as the 11:13 TPE service from Piccadilly, which runs off pattern via Romiley (possibly as a route retention run?).

There is no sensible reason for barring travel via Stockport so I'd just buy the ticket by selecting the 11:13 TPE service and then take whichever TPE or EMR service to Sheffield that suits you best. I doubt you'd be challenged but if you were, the itinerary would strongly suggest it's valid - I hardly think many guards are going to try and nitpick on whether your 'booked' train went via Romiley (if they even knew).
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,654
Location
Greater Manchester
There are a few exceptions, however - such as the 11:13 TPE service from Piccadilly, which runs off pattern via Romiley (possibly as a route retention run?).
Are you able to get that to give the un-split flexible fare?
I could only get services via Guide Bridge to work, not via Reddish North.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,801
Location
UK
Are you able to get that to give the un-split flexible fare?
I could only get services via Guide Bridge to work, not via Reddish North.
Ah yes, I missed that detail!

I'd still suggest that an itinerary via Sheffield, even if involving changes to get there, will be useful to the OP. It has to be an accident that travel via Reddish North and Stockport is barred - there's no sensible reason to have mapped routes which purely allows travel via Sheffield, but not to allow travel that way.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,062
Location
Sheffield
I'd still suggest that an itinerary via Sheffield, even if involving changes to get there, will be useful to the OP. It has to be an accident that travel via Reddish North and Stockport is barred - there's no sensible reason to have mapped routes which purely allows travel via Sheffield, but not to allow travel that way.
Indeed, tickets routed via Stockport* are specifically allowed via Romiley

* I realise this one isn’t
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,946
Location
Mold, Clwyd
A South Pennine Day Ranger would solve all those routeing problems, if your travel plans fit (after 0900), at £31.20.
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,054
Important to note you will be able to use the new Northern Sheffield-Wakefield Westgate of course, just not CrossCountry ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top