• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
In a couple of days I'm gonna need a season between Mauldeth Road and Salford Central. I've asked Northern on Twitter but they haven't got a clue.

Mauldeth Road will be unstaffed at the time I travel (it's only open 7am - 1pm or something like that) so I presume I'm okay to buy a season onboard. I think guards can only sell 7ds but that won't be a problem. Last time I bought one (with Merseyrail) I had to fill out a form - will I need to do that?

Or is a passport style photo the only thing I'll need and the guard can do the rest? I've heard talk about needing a photocard beforehand. Any advice appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Timster83

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2012
Messages
55
You'll need a photocard as when the season ticket is issued, it's tied to your photocard number (which is printed onto it).

I usually renew my season ticket the afternoon before I need it and then it's issued from the next day (Scotrail - not sure how Northern handle this).
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
You'll need a photocard as when the season ticket is issued, it's tied to your photocard number (which is printed onto it).

I usually renew my season ticket the afternoon before I need it and then it's issued from the next day (Scotrail - not sure how Northern handle this).
Okay, thanks for the response. How would I get hold of a photocard though if my station is unstaffed? I'm thinking I'd need to go to the station while it's open (difficult but possible) or take a trip to Man Picc. But once I've got hold of a photocard I can just renew each week onboard right?
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
The same photocard can be used for future tickets. If you have a passport photo, some guards may be able to issue a photocard on board - its just filled in with a pen. But I don't think thats official policy
 

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
Okay, thanks for the response. How would I get hold of a photocard though if my station is unstaffed? I'm thinking I'd need to go to the station while it's open (difficult but possible) or take a trip to Man Picc. But once I've got hold of a photocard I can just renew each week onboard right?

Yes, you need to get the photocard from a staffed station but once you have it you can buy weekly tickets from a machine or guard. Monthly or longer ones still have to come from a staffed station, but you can renew weeklies the day before (or on Friday to start on Monday) and monthlies the week before they expire so you could sort out your renewal at Salford or Piccadilly on the way home.
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
If you'd like to buy a ticket longer than onboard staff can issue they'll probably let you go to get it at Piccadilly when you change trains
 

snail

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2011
Messages
1,911
Location
t'North
In a couple of days I'm gonna need a season between Mauldeth Road and Salford Central.
Have you thought about how you are going to get there? Salford Central is a 15 minute walk from Oxford Road (or there's the free bus service), which will be quicker than changing at Piccadilly and Salford Crescent. It would only save you 20p a week though. ;)
 

hidden

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
117
Just to confirm that you will need a photocard already if purchasing on board (guards cannot issue photocards).
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Thanks for all the replies people.
Have you thought about how you are going to get there? Salford Central is a 15 minute walk from Oxford Road (or there's the free bus service), which will be quicker than changing at Piccadilly and Salford Crescent. It would only save you 20p a week though. ;)
I'll only be going to Salford Central once a week, (there's a place that does amazing pizza) but when I do go I walk from Oxford Road :D
The reason I chose Salford Central is it's valid via Crescent ;)
Yes, you need to get the photocard from a staffed station but once you have it you can buy weekly tickets from a machine or guard. Monthly or longer ones still have to come from a staffed station, but you can renew weeklies the day before (or on Friday to start on Monday) and monthlies the week before they expire so you could sort out your renewal at Salford or Piccadilly on the way home.
Gotcha - I'll get the photocard tomorrow as that's free and sort the first season out onboard or at Picc.

I've read on the TFGM site that a season between any two stations is valid for unlimited weekend travel in Manchester - can anyone confirm if that's still the case? The website hasn't been updated to remove reference to Evening Returns so I wanted to check this wasn't out of date either.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top