• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Saturday 11th May (including Metrolink!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
Just thought I'd give a quick report of my trip to Manchester yesterday!

Turned up at Cardiff Central yesterday for the 0700 to Manchester, the daily Voyager service operated by CrossCountry. It was due to depart from platform 0, as the departure boards said, then at about 0650 there was a platform change and it went to platform 1. Not quite sure why though; it didn't seem to make sense as 175002 was at the front of platform 1 with 1W11 0650 to Manchester (ex-0504 from Carmarthen). For those of you who know the layout at Cardiff, getting from platform 0 to platform 1 involves walking back down the stairs, out of the Marks and Spencer store, through the main concourse, through the barriers and up. Not fun :lol:

Anyway, 221124 was our Voyager for the morning and we got on and found a good seat. Went to Bristol on a perfect run but remembered then that we change direction at Temple Meads. I'm not a good backwards traveller at all; I can barely go from Cardiff to Newport backwards without feeling slightly queasy so I'd asked my friend the day before if she wouldn't mind swapping as she is fine to go backwards. We swapped seats and proceeded northbound towards Bristol Parkway and up. We travelled very slowly on the stretch between Bromsgrove and Birmingham; admittedly this is probably due to the fact that it's a very busy section of line. Arrived into platform 7B at Birmingham and arrived at 0926, exactly on time! Good old CrossCountry; don't think I'd expect this from First Great Western! :lol:

New Street is currently undergoing a lot of work, and the conductor on the train when making the announcement into Birmingham did say this and also said that there would be staff on hand to help passengers who may get lost; I can see where he's coming from as it's a huge mixture of tracks under the Pallasades! Hopefully it's refurbishment will make it look a lot nicer :)

However, sod's law, our train reversed again; I only thought this happened at Bristol, so we had to swap again. We then passed through Smethwick, Dudley Port and Tipton on the way to Wolverhampton. Saw 390156 working 1B13 0945 to Euston; crikey moses I forget how long these 11-car Pendos are! The rear coach actually hung over the platform!

Onto Stafford next and Stoke-on-Trent, where a huge hen party got on ready for a weekend up in Manchester. It was quite busy on the train at this point. We then went through to Stockport and travelled on the brilliant high approach onto Piccadilly before arriving perfectly on time at 1059! A great journey, especially at only £11.90 for an Advance single (16-25 RC).

We then met up with our friend who had travelled on a First TransPennine service from Northallerton (I think she had travelled on 1P21 0743 from Newcastle, as she had just over a half hour wait for us, and 1P21 arrived at Manchester at 1018 so that sounds about right).

We then proceeded down to the Metrolink stop. We were going to get a Day Ticket for Bus/Tram use at £6.50 for an Adult, but we couldn't find the child option, which was somewhat annoying. They then purchased a Groupsave Ticket for four adults at £10.50, which I could have gone on, so I ended up wasting £6.50. I rang up Customer Services and asked if I could get a refund, but they said there was nothing I could do, which was fair enough. However, I then realised that I had the right ticket, as we needed to catch a bus later in the day.

We were going to catch a tram to Shudehill. Admittedly, it is only a fifteen minute walk, but the weather was absolutely horrendous in the morning in Manchester and I didn't have an umbrella. Two Altrincham services, two Eccles services, a Bury service (which we could have got, but we were trying to sort out the tickets in the machine) and a MediaCity UK service arrived, but of course these all go from Piccadilly out towards Moseley Street and Deansgate, instead of towards Market Street and Shudehill. Eventually, a M5000 (didn't catch the number!) arrived on a Bury service and we took the short journey to Shudehill. We then had a look in the centre of Manchester and in the Arndale Centre (where I bought a black umbrella in Poundland! :lol:) before deciding to go to the Trafford Centre.

We made our way back to Market Street tram stop where there was a pair of T68s on an Altrincham service, but we just missed it. We realised the next Altrincham service wasn't for another twelve minutes so we walked over to Piccadilly Gardens (it is a blessing having these two stations so close together!) where we realised there was an Altrincham service in three minutes. 3016 arrived and we made the fifteen minute journey to Stretford. I do like the journey to Stretford, particularly on the high stretch between St Peter's Square and Cornbrook, where it passes high over the Manchester skyline. We then got to Stretford and the ML1 shuttle bus to the Trafford Centre was on the stop. My friends had to pay £1 for the journey which wasn't too bad after.

We got to the Trafford Centre and hit the shops (this was my third visit and it's awe inspiring!) and grabbed lunch. We left four hours later and went to the Starbucks by the Asda (the Drive-Thru one). We then sat there for an hour or so before heading back towards the bus stop on Barton Drive. The 1703 bus must have ran quite early, as we didn't see it pass us at all. So we had to wait for the 1723 instead. We then got back to Stretford tram stop and 3031 arrived with a Piccadilly service but we wanted to go to Shudehill. 1017 and 1013 (I only worked out it was 1013 on the back because of the bend at Market Street going towards Shudehill!) arrived with a Bury service, where we were held at signals three times; once just after Stretford, once by the Metrolink depot and again by Trafford Bar waiting for a St Werburgh's service to pass. The driver apologised twice for the very short delay; barely less than sixty seconds which was very good of him. Having sat right behind the driver on 1017, it is really interesting to see what it is like to drive a tram! I must admit the T68s are looking rather tired :( but they're a solid fleet, I must admit! I'd love to preserve one!

We then got off at Shudehill and had another quick look in the Arndale. We then made our way back to Market Street where there was a Droylsden service via Piccadilly in two minutes. 3025 arrived and we made our way to Piccadilly. Our friend had to catch her train back to Northallerton at 1857 so it was lucky a Droylsden service arrived soon. The drivers door on the M5000 fleet is so posh! Pure black and glass! We then got into Piccadilly where we were met by at least a dozen Metrolink staff all on Revenue Protection duties. I must admit, Metrolink are excellent when it comes to fare evasion. The fact that they have a policy where you buy from a machine on the platform makes you think you can get away with a free ride; clearly this is not the case. I forgot to mention a group of six youths were on 3016 on the Altrincham service earlier and thought that they get away with a journey from St Peter's Square, this wasn't the case as an inspector got on at Deansgate and also Cornbrook was rife with staff also. I was surprised to hear him say something along the lines of 'guys, I'd get off now if I was you as the next stop is full of inspectors' and they duly alighted. I thought he'd charge them all; I certainly would if I worked from Metrolink! I also love the Metrolink coats, the yellow and grey does surprisingly look quite stylish - if anyone has a spare or an old one, I'm more than happy to have it! :lol:

Anyway, back to the journey, before 3025 arrived at Piccadilly, an announcement came on (presumably from the driver) saying to get tickets and passes ready for inspection as there were staff at Piccadilly, and indeed they were! They were at least a dozen of them on the platform checking tickets as we went out.

Onto the main concourse, our friend's train, the 1857 to Middlesbrough, was departing from platform 2. 185129 arrived and departed on 1P58.

I also noticed 185126 on 1T55, which was the 1439 Edinburgh to Manchester via Newcastle. I didn't know the diversions via Newcastle were still running!

Our train back was 1V95, the 1930 to Cardiff. We had about half an hour to spare so we grabbed a coffee, some magazines and a panini in Uppercrust before boarding the train. Our train dpearted from platform 8; however, I nearly died of shock when I found 150260 sat in the platform and it's blind being changed to Cardiff. I was praying that there was a 158 attached behind; I originally couldn't see as 390043 was on platform 7 and I could just see the end of 150260. Luckily, 158818 was attached to the end, a sweet relief, as I think I would have died if I had 150260 on a three and a half hour journey. I have absolutely no idea why Arriva think it is suitable to put 150s on their long distance routes, it's so dire! Luckily, the refurbished 158s have plug sockets on them unlike the 175s so we were able to charge our phones! We did have a reservation in Coach A but we couldn't find them so we just sat in 158818 anyway! :lol:

At Crewe we got chatting with a student from Oldham who was in Cardiff uni travelling back which was quite nice; she was so shocked that a 158 had turned up and she said it's the nicest train Arriva have put on the route! We got chatting for the rest of the journey which was nice. We finally arrived back in Cardiff at 2254, almost sixteen hours since departing from platform 1 on 221124. All in all, a great day out!

One thing I have always wanted to do is to go on a Pendolino! I have only ever been on two, both from Crewe to Preston, which is only forty-five minutes, so I want to try one out for longer! When I go to Blackpool in September I may get an Advance from Cardiff to London, then a tube transfer to Euston and then get a Pendolino up north just for something new! Will be a good trip I think!

:)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,338
Location
Bolton
Lovely :) I spent more than four hours on Pendos yesterday for my own trip to London. They are undeniably better than the cheap alternative!

I'm glad you didn't have to suffer a 150 all the way to Cardiff, if I get one when I'm going in June I'll not be pleased. Although how did you get a seat reservation on ATW? I don't get that silly policy they have.

Metrolink is truly amazing :) I bet are glad you turned up two days after the City Centre PIDs were switched on though!

I'm surprised you think much of the cheap fittings Bombardier have used on our trams though, I'm 85% sure the drivers door is plastic.

The remaining T68s are looking tatty, but you will note their superior ride quality like a few other things too. I for one do not think we made the right decision with M5000s and I don't really like them that much. Nevertheless Metrolink is my thing :)
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,893
Location
South Wales
Glad you had a interesting day out. I will have to arrange a dayout to Manchester at some point.

As for 150260 I dont know what is going on lately but that seems to be turning up on Manchester services a lot. I know its not ideal but atw's 150/2's do have a good interior for longish services unlike FGW's class 150/1's with their 3 + 2 seating

Besides could be worse you could have ended up with a pacer
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
Lovely :) I spent more than four hours on Pendos yesterday for my own trip to London. They are undeniably better than the cheap alternative!

Yes, definitely. I think I'll try and find some cheap Advances on one! Would be good to do one for two hours, as opposed to forty-five minutes!

starmill said:
I'm glad you didn't have to suffer a 150 all the way to Cardiff, if I get one when I'm going in June I'll not be pleased.

I know, I can't tell you how relieved I was when I saw 158818 on the formation! Some people did go all the way to Cardiff on it and it did make it in one piece to Cardiff! I was expecting it to disintegrate by the time we got to Shrewsbury :lol:

I think it tends to be Sundays when the 150s come and play on the line. 150236+150256, 150279+153323 and 150252+153327 are all on the Manchester runs today!

Weekdays are almost exclusively 175s.

I'm not quite sure what I'd have done if it was just 150260 alone. I think I'd have bought a new ticket for the 2030 which was 175001. I use the 150s a lot between Pontyclun and Cardiff on the Maesteg to Cheltenham services and they're noisy enough for a mere ten minutes, let alone three hours!

starmill said:
Although how did you get a seat reservation on ATW? I don't get that silly policy they have.

Are you referring to the stars they have where the coach and seats should be? If so, if you go to any staffed station they'll give you a seat reservation.

starmill said:
Metrolink is truly amazing :) I bet are glad you turned up two days after the City Centre PIDs were switched on though!

Yes! It is very good! So interesting. Especially when they run around the Moseley Street/Piccadilly Gardens/Market Street section. Quite funny with passengers dodging them! Very dangerous though also!

starmill said:
I'm surprised you think much of the cheap fittings Bombardier have used on our trams though, I'm 85% sure the drivers door is plastic.

Oh are they?! Haha I though they were glass. Still, it looks quite nice.

starmill said:
The remaining T68s are looking tatty, but you will note their superior ride quality like a few other things too. I for one do not think we made the right decision with M5000s and I don't really like them that much. Nevertheless Metrolink is my thing :)

Yes, they are, but they are a good ride!

As for 150260 I dont know what is going on lately but that seems to be turning up on Manchester services a lot. I know its not ideal but atw's 150/2's do have a good interior for longish services unlike FGW's class 150/1's with their 3 + 2 seating

That's one thing I was relieved about; then again FGW do put 150/1's on the Great Malvern to Brighton runs and also the dreaded 0600 Penzance to Cardiff service!

anthony263 said:
Besides could be worse you could have ended up with a pacer

True! :lol:

Also saw Northern's 142049 in platform 2 at about 1845 last night, the seats look dreadful!!
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,784
Location
Newport Pagnell
Glad you got your cheap tickets in the end! Sounds like you had a good day - I always like a circular journey - something different to look at on the way back if it's not dark already.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
Glad you got your cheap tickets in the end! Sounds like you had a good day - I always like a circular journey - something different to look at on the way back if it's not dark already.

Yeah I did! Thank you :) absolutely! When I go to Blackpool in September I want to go Newport to London then London to either Manchester or Preston and then Blackpool, but there's engineering work in the Bristol area on the weekend I'm going so I don't know how I'm going to get to London!
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
The 19 30 Manchester to Cardiff on a Saturday is booked a 158. Sometimes if ATW have units unallocated they do ad hoc strengthening so for anybody earlier in the day rather than 1930 at night, it would have been a welcome bonus due to overcrowding on 2 Car Units on this route.
There are 150s booked on a Sunday due to insufficient 175s or 158s available at the right time in the right place due to more frequent services on one route and less on others and the obvious need to have the correct number of units in place in locations at night for Monday morning. Again, I think that some ad hoc 153 strengthening takes place if 150 ot 158 working.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
The 19 30 Manchester to Cardiff on a Saturday is
booked a 158.

Yeah I know. I was expecting a 158 anyway.

PHILIPE said:
Sometimes if ATW have units unallocated they do ad hoc strengthening so for anybody earlier in the day rather than 1930 at night, it would have been a welcome bonus due to overcrowding on 2 Car Units on this route.

Yeah that's true. I was surprised at how many people were in 150260 (unless they were only going a few stops); I'd have thought everyone would have aimed straight for 158818 like we did!

PHILIPE said:
There are 150s booked on a Sunday due to insufficient 175s or 158s available at the right time in the right place due to more frequent services on one route and less on others and the obvious need to have the correct number of units in place in locations at night for Monday morning. Again, I think that some ad hoc 153 strengthening takes place if 150 ot 158 working.

Yeah, it's pretty dire to be honest. That's why when I go to Blackpool in September I'm Pendolino-ing it as I don't want to take the risk of being stuck on a 150 as it would be absolutely horrendous.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
Would you like a reduction in the service to avoid a 150 and then have overcrowding on the next train. Come on. Accept it's better than nothing at all and I'll bet many of the publix wouldn't realise at all if theu had a 150 as long as they got there.
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,893
Location
South Wales
Lets face it as well despite how much we knock them ATW's class 150's are still going strong and are really the main backbone of their fleet with 150's stepping up to the mark when a 158 or 175 decides to pack up.

That said certain class 150's in ATW's fleet are better than others. The former Wessex train examples do seem to be pretty sluggish compared to some of the Valley Lines examples 150216 has always seemed to be pretty quick at accelerating compared to many of its class mates.

But I may not like some of Arriva's class 150's but I can be pretty certain if one turns up it will get me there
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
Would you like a reduction in the service to avoid a 150 and then have overcrowding on the next train. Come on. Accept it's better than nothing at all and I'll bet many of the publix wouldn't realise at all if theu had a 150 as long as they got there.

To most people, yes, I agree, it probably wouldn’t matter. It would for me though. It's like having a Pacer from Aberdeen to Penzance. Although admittedly if I had to get somewhere really quickly I would have just put up with it. However, I doubt there’d be overcrowding with one passenger (being myself!) deciding to switch from one service to another!! :P

Let’s face it as well despite how much we knock them ATW's class 150's are still going strong and are really the main backbone of their fleet with 150's stepping up to the mark when a 158 or 175 decides to pack up.

No I couldn’t agree with you more. They are excellent units. Especially on the Valleys routes and the local lines in Pembrokeshire. Just not on journeys approaching four hours as they’re not wonderfully comfy and they’re quite noisy!

anthony263 said:
That said certain class 150's in ATW's fleet are better than others. The former Wessex train examples do seem to be pretty sluggish compared to some of the Valley Lines examples 150216 has always seemed to be pretty quick at accelerating compared to many of its class mates.

150216 is with FGW.

Yes, the ‘lime green’ interior of the 150s, as I call them (as opposed to the former Wessex examples), are good! (These include 208, 213, 217, 227, 229, 231, 235, 237, 245, 250, 252, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 262, 264, 283, 284 and 285).

anthony263 said:
But I may not like some of Arriva's class 150's but I can be pretty certain if one turns up it will get me there

Fair enough :)

On the topic of 150s, 150217 has just passed my house with 2V36 0519 Shrewsbury to Newport via Swansea! A journey of five and a half hours!

A 150 (265) was good enough for the Queen to ride on from St Erth to St Ives yesterday.

Yes, but that’s a thirteen minute journey! My journey was three and a half hours; there’s a clear difference. Plus I think the FGW 150’s are absolutely fine for that line. I’d happily travel on one on the line.

But good on the Queen for using public transport!!
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
You've got to use 150s or 153s over HOW. How many people would make the through journey fromm Shrewsbury to Newport on this. The HOW is virtually several local trains joined together so far as passenger journeys are concerned.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
You've got to use 150s or 153s over HOW. How many people would make the through journey fromm Shrewsbury to Newport on this. The HOW is virtually several local trains joined together so far as passenger journeys are concerned.

Take the 0900 Shrewsbury to Newport. That gets into Newport at 1431. Then take the 0914 Shrewsbury to Cardiff. That gets into Newport at 1100.

The point you make about how the HoWL is several local trains joined together is very true, particularly if you divide it from Newport/Cardiff to Swansea, Swansea to Llandeilo, Llandeilo to Builth Wells/Llandrindod and Llandrindod to Shrewsbury, as the journey times between these small groups of stations is only an hour to an hour and a half tops anyway, and Sprinters are fine for that! So 150s and 153s are great on the route as the journey time between these groups . Yes, they make the full journey, but I can't imagine many people are actually going to be doing the full journey from Newport to Shrewsbury.

You've proved your own point there in the respect that 150s are used on short journeys, which is exactly what they're designed for! Not for Manchester to Cardiff services or beyond.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
You seem to have a real down on 150s. They are a good workhorse and by helping out on long journeys they can prevent cancellations and overcrowding, even if not the best. Please accept they are better than nothing at all.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
You seem to have a real down on 150s. They are a good workhorse and by helping out on long journeys they can prevent cancellations and overcrowding, even if not the best.

Not at all. The 150s are great units. I think they're absolutely fine on services like the Valley Lines, Swanline, Maesteg and Ebbw Vale services. I use them all the time and I like them a lot! I live two miles west of Cardiff Central; to say I use them a lot would be an understatement!!

In an ideal world, it just isn't good to have them on a journey of three hours or more. Everyone would feel the same I think. Yes it is the lesser of two evils and is a lot better than a cancelled service, but at the same time it wouldn't be fun! Keeping them on the Rhymney, Rhondda, City, Vale of Glamorgan, Maesteg and Ebbw Vales Lines would make perfect sense and I reckon they've got at least five or six years within them!
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
I'd rather travel on a 150 for three hours than a Pacer for for one and a half hours from Barry Island to Merthyr.
 

TOCDriver

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
609
You seem to have a real down on 150s. They are a good workhorse and by helping out on long journeys they can prevent cancellations and overcrowding, even if not the best. Please accept they are better than nothing at all.

Even Network Rail have a bright yellow one which I have passed numerous times over the past few days! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top