• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Piccadilly to Taunton today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Hi

I am due to travel on the 14:03 Cross Country train from Manchester Piccadilly to Taunton today. This is the return part of my journey.

I’ve checked the train this morning and it seems it’s only now going as far as Bristol? Can anyone confirm this?

I am registered severely visually impaired and have booked assistance. I have someone travelling with me but they are elderly.

Does anyone know what is likely to happen? Are the Cross Country Assistance Team likely to contact me if the train is going to terminate early or is cancelled?

Our tickets would allow us to travel another day but we have seat reservations today and really need to get home.

Thanks for any help.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,169
Location
Wilmslow
https://www.journeycheck.com/crosscountry/ confirms this:
14:03 Manchester Piccadilly to Paignton due 18:53


14:03 Manchester Piccadilly to Paignton due 18:53 will be terminated at Bristol Temple Meads.
It will no longer call at Taunton, Tiverton Parkway, Exeter St Davids, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Torquay and Paignton.
This is due to a shortage of train drivers.
Further Information
A 'Do Not Travel' notice is in place today. Please do not travel.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,946
Location
Mold, Clwyd
From what I can see on RTT, XC services into Manchester are heavily delayed, and some are cancelled.
It isn't yet clear what services will be operating later in the day.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
I have just read that Westbury station is closed and no trains are running through it. GWR say they can’t guarantee road transport. Train on South Western Railway are also currently disrupted. You might be better staying in Manchester rather than getting stuck half-way back.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,946
Location
Mold, Clwyd
This is too late to help, but two incoming XC trains to Manchester Piccadilly were turned round en route, one at Leamington and the other at Macclesfield.
There was a 1325 to Bournemouth, and there's an incoming train just arriving at P3 which might form the 1503 to Bristol.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,169
Location
Wilmslow
Update from https://www.journeycheck.com/crosscountry/:
14:03 Manchester Piccadilly to Paignton due 18:53 was started from Macclesfield and will be terminated at Birmingham New Street.
It will no longer call at Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Cheltenham Spa, Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads, Taunton, Tiverton Parkway, Exeter St Davids, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Torquay and Paignton.
This is due to a shortage of train drivers.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Update 17.24. Westbury station is expected to be closed to at least the end of today and GWR still can’t guarantee alternative transport. Waterloo-Exeter services do not appear to be running between Basingstoke and Salisbury, and are disrupted west of Salisbury.
 

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Hi

Thanks for all the replies to this. After an epic journey I’m back home in Yeovil!

We were told the 14:03 service ended up being totally cancelled (though I note from above maybe it started from a different station?). We ended up catching the delayed 14:25 service heading for Bournemouth which left Manchester Piccadilly at 14:54 - we were told to change at Birmingham New Street where there might be a service running to Taunton. The train struggled along its route to Birmingham New Street and we didn’t arrive there until 17:47. After arrival at Birmingham New Street we were taken to the Assisted Travel lounge but they had to advise us there were no trains heading in Taunton direction. We were then taken to Station Reception where passengers were being sorted into groups for alternative transport. Very kindly the station offered to put us in a taxi with another passenger who also wanted Taunton station so that’s what happened.

I am very tired now but would like to say thank you to all the railway staff who worked amid very challenging conditions today and I feel very fortunate to be home tonight - I hope all staff and passengers everywhere are safe.
 
Last edited:
Joined
7 Jan 2019
Messages
536
Location
North West
Hi

Thanks for all the replies to this. After an epic journey I’m back home in Yeovil!

We were told the 14:03 service ended up being totally cancelled (though I note from above maybe it started from a different station?). We ended up catching the delayed 14:25 service heading for Bournemouth which left Manchester Piccadilly at 14:54 - we were told to change at Birmingham New Street where there might be a service running to Taunton. The train struggled along its route to Birmingham New Street and we didn’t arrive there until 17:47. After arrival at Birmingham New Street we were taken to the Assisted Travel lounge but they had to advise us there were no trains heading in Taunton direction. We were then taken to Station Reception where passengers were being sorted into groups for alternative transport. Very kindly the station offered to put us in a taxi with another passenger who also wanted Taunton station so that’s what happened.

I am very tired now but would like to say thank you to all the railway staff who worked amid very challenging conditions today and I feel very fortunate to be home tonight - I hope all staff and passengers everywhere are safe.
Good to hear the team at New Street helped you out with a taxi. The assisted travel team and customer service team are good there.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,990
Location
Airedale
Hi

Thanks for all the replies to this. After an epic journey I’m back home in Yeovil!

I am very tired now but would like to say thank you to all the railway staff who worked amid very challenging conditions today and I feel very fortunate to be home tonight - I hope all staff and passengers everywhere are safe.
Rather relieved to read this!

I didn't pick up on your post until lunchtime, by which it was too late to say "get going ASAP and ask for help."

PS as it happens, you could have got back to Yeovil, albeit not till 2300 - you were much better off in a taxi to Taunton :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top