• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Piccadilly - Exeter Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worm

Member
Joined
13 May 2020
Messages
105
Location
Manchester
Hello,

I have a question about the route taken from Manchester Piccadilly to Exeter. About 3 years ago I made a journey for a holiday from Manchester to Exmouth by rail.

At the time I was only starting to become interested in rail so I have no idea of the route other than the Avocet line from Exeter. The route was split from Piccadilly to Birmingham New Street, then to Exeter St Davids.

Am I right to say the route was the West Coast Mainline from Pic to Birmingham, the Cross Country line and Exeter branch to Exeter St David’s and then the Avocet line to Exmouth?

PS - if anyone is interested the rolling stock was two Voyagers and a Pacer, and a Voyager and Sprinter on the way home.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,970
Location
Airedale
Pretty much correct.
Your first leg would normally have been via Stoke on Trent to Stafford, rather than via Crewe. From Birmingham it's the main line to Exeter (hardly a branch!; trains that start or finish at Manchester usually use the Camp Hill route between New Street and Kings Norton (which leaves New Street heading towards London, not via University/Bourneville) - if your return train was straight through from Exeter, that's relevant.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,292
Pretty much correct.
Your first leg would normally have been via Stoke on Trent to Stafford, rather than via Crewe. From Birmingham it's the main line to Exeter (hardly a branch!; trains that start or finish at Manchester usually use the Camp Hill route between New Street and Kings Norton (which leaves New Street heading towards London, not via University/Bourneville) - if your return train was straight through from Exeter, that's relevant.

I always thought some XC reverse at New St. NE to South coast must do
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
They do. Those on the Manchester to Bristol and West don't have to, but those from NE to South Coast have to.

None of the Scotland to South Coast services reverse. Two northbound services reverse (1S39 and 1S43).

On the Manchester route, six northbound services reverse (1M21, 1M25, 1M37, 1M41, 1M65 and 1M69). No southbound services reverse.

Vast majority of services do not need to. I personally don't like a reversal, as I don't like facing backwards so need to switch seats.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
None of the Scotland to South Coast services reverse. Two northbound services reverse (1S39 and 1S43).

On the Manchester route, six northbound services reverse (1M21, 1M25, 1M37, 1M41, 1M65 and 1M69). No southbound services reverse.

Vast majority of services do not need to. I personally don't like a reversal, as I don't like facing backwards so need to switch seats.
All of the one each day each way that CrossCountry run on their South Coast route (that is, to or via Reading) through to/from Scotland (most go as far as Newcastle) must reverse at New Street - there's no way for it to reach Leamington otherwise. Your statement holds for the Scotland to South West route.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
All of the one each day each way that CrossCountry run on their South Coast route (that is, to or via Reading) through to/from Scotland (most go as far as Newcastle) must reverse at New Street - there's no way for it to reach Leamington otherwise. Your statement holds for the Scotland to South West route.

Yes, when @PHILIPE said NE to South Coast I immediately thought of the Plymouth route, not Reading/Bournemouth, which in that case is true.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,292
Think theres only a few Reading to Edinburgh services now . Maybe one in each direction.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,970
Location
Airedale
Yes, when @PHILIPE said NE to South Coast I immediately thought of the Plymouth route, not Reading/Bournemouth, which in that case is true.
I suppose Plymouth is on a south-facing coastline, but most people would describe it as SW (as indeed "the railway" traditionally has) - I immediately think of the South Coast as (roughly) Weymouth to Hastings, but then my origins are in South London suburbia
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
I suppose Plymouth is on a south-facing coastline, but most people would describe it as SW (as indeed "the railway" traditionally has) - I immediately think of the South Coast as (roughly) Weymouth to Hastings, but then my origins are in South London suburbia

I do too, but I didn't even think of the Newcastle to Reading route as Reading isn't on the south coast.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top