How will this affect the viability of the existing waste compaction product plants at those depots you mention above. Was it not the raison d'etre that fully treated waste would be removed by the waste container unit trains in order that all external shipments would not need "x" amount of container lorries instead of what could be moved by one trainload of these loaded containers.
The waste compaction stations in Greater Manchester are still owned by the various councils so although Viridor might have their name on a sign at the front they don't own the assets or at least not the buildings.
Maybe GM are looking to save costs and run them directly? It isn't Greater Manchester's issue to worry about an expensive plant in Runcorn.
As far as I knew I thought that the site at Scuthorpe had been filled and the site was being put back to "Nature" and tracks had been lifted??
Also Collyhurst St was a stone terminal and I wouldn't feel very confident about running a train there now. Its a 40 drop to nothing over battered and smashed concrete!