• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Airport - check in/security

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,345
Location
University of Birmingham
I have a Friday evening flight booked from Manchester T1 "departures A" (2005 to Venice). I will be arriving on the Northern train from Crewe, which arrives around 52 minutes past the hour.

Is the 1853 arrival cutting it too fine? What if I pay for fast-track security (at a very reasonable-sounding £5)? Should I plan to get the 1752 instead, on the assumption that it will be cancelled? :D

I've not used Manchester Airport before, so have no idea what to expect! I'm mainly asking because I took an ~1800 flight from Stansted on the Saturday at the start of May half term, and station to gate took around 30 minutes; I had assumed it would be far busier than it was...

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DiscoSteve

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2011
Messages
89
Location
Romiley
I'd be unhappy not giving myself 2 hours - but for facts, it'll will take you 10-15 minutes just to walk from the station to Terminal 1 Departures A - its at ground level close to T3 (unlike B which is at Level 5, same as the walkway tube from the station and nearer to it too)map.png
 
Last edited:

waveyswirley

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2024
Messages
45
Location
Liverpool
I would definitely try and get the train and hour earlier if possible. Your flight's departure time means the gate will close at around 19:35. Having used Manchester Airport a lot I think between 90 mins and 2 hours between arriving at the airport and the gate closing is sensible - half an hour for navigating the airport and the remaining time to spare for queues and disruption.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,713
Location
West Riding
I’d get the 1752 just in case, more due to train reliability than airport security. I use Manchester frequently and it’s only chaos during school holidays and for the early morning rush, beyond that I sail through.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,924
Location
Mold, Clwyd
I normally like a 90-minute buffer between train and plane at Manchester T1 (normally easyJet without bags), and I'm a slow walker.
Last week the trains were disrupted so I lost 20 minutes or so before reaching the airport but was still in good time for departure.
I booked fast track, but it only saved the initial zig-zags, the security process seemed if anything slower than the non-fast-track, with only one scanner in use.

Returning I made the 1825 train after landing at 1750 at T1, and that was with a long walk from the gate and some delay through e-passport control.
The non-functional T1 elevated walkways to/from the station don't help at all, and the whole T1 setup is like a zoo most of the time.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,504
Location
Cheshire
I flew out of T1 a few weeks ago on Saturday flight leaving at 17:05. Security was pretty busy but made it through in about 25 mins. However the gates can be a long walk off security, as others have said give yourself at least 2 hours before your flight for that peace of mind.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top