• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major TPE services disruption 19/11/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Its yet another poor day for TPE services.

Standedge tunnel is blocked with a broken rail meaning services between Manchester and Huddersfield are not running. To add to this, a landslip at Todmorden means the diversion route of Manchester to Leeds via Hebden Bridge is also closed.

Shuttles are running Newcastle-york, Scarborough-york, middlesbrough-huddersfield, hull-huddersfield. Liverpool-stalybridge. There is a limited rail replacement service manchester-huddersfield.

Alternative route for anyone travelling from leeds or york to manchester. Go via sheffield using XC, TPE and EMT services and avoid north TPE altogether, or travel tomorrow.

To add to this a suicidal male had blocked grimsby.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
This is the landslip near todmorden which has closed the Calder Valley route and TPE's diversion route in the process
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 250

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
Luckily it seems that those who can have postponed or altered their travel plans. I'm sat on board 185108 at Huddersfield having decided against boarding the crowded 155 on the stopper. So far there's still quite a few seats free... Hopefully the Eastern end of the Victoria via Brighouse is running to or close to time. If not there's always the pub at Dewsbury!
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
I'm on the 155 - plenty of room...

I could see a few seats free but couldn't get through the crowds in the vestibules- perhaps I need to be more assertive! My connection to Batley is cancelled so I'm off to the pub...

Rumours that the landlord of the West Riding was seen on the towpath at Marsden carrying an acetylene torch are unconfirmed!
 

Harbinger

New Member
Joined
31 Oct 2015
Messages
3
Utter chaos at Piccadilly today, queues to get on platform 14 and masses of people everywhere. Got to platform but couldn't get on train as it was so packed. One lady so annoyed she was literally screaming at the guard... Made my way to Oxford road for the stopper but that was rammed as well but finally on way to Liverpool on late running TPE.

This is to add to the chaos yesterday when the platforms at Piccadilly were evacuated and trains suspended due to a trespasser....all good fun :)
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
Stoppers to/from Victoria via Brighouse now running again, so the landslip has been fixed I assume. Not sure about the Standedge issue though.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,938
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Standedge route now open again.
Rochdale-Todmorden still closed according to NRE.
I passed an eastbound Drax biomass service at Huyton today, and I see it has been stuck at Vitriol Works for the last 2 hours.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
Standedge route now open again.
Rochdale-Todmorden still closed according to NRE.
I passed an eastbound Drax biomass service at Huyton today, and I see it has been stuck at Vitriol Works for the last 2 hours.

If Rochdale to Todmorden is still closed then the crew of the 150 that left Dewsbury about half an hour ago are in for a surprise!

Either way, bad luck that both routes between Leeds and Manchester have had issues on the same day.
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,385
Location
Calder Valley
Due to a landslide and a tree on the railway between Todmorden and Walsden both lines were shut causing quite a bit off trouble just it time for evening peak. Northern could not run any services either way. With rail replacement buses running instead although what i saw from the disorganization at Rochdale no one really knew what was going on!

To make matters worse TPE were diverting that was due to the broken rail on the Huddersfield line they got as far a Walsden i believe it was before being sent back, towards Rochdale. I believe that this is extremely rare, Network Rail had to come to Smithy Bridge to man the crossing to let the 185 through the level crossing.

To add to the very unusual night when i finally got to Rochdale i saw the same 185 in the Rochdale bay platform which has not been used for quite a while. I dont even think a 185 has been in it!

I will try and attach some photos in a bit!
Sam
VnZeJdZcxQn2F5B6A
 
Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Which TPE depots sign Sheffield-Huddersfield? Are their paths to run any kind of service Manchester - Sheffield -/Huddersfield - Leeds?
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
Which TPE depots sign Sheffield-Huddersfield? Are their paths to run any kind of service Manchester - Sheffield -/Huddersfield - Leeds?

In normal service the Penistone loop isn't used to cross trains other than in the evening when an extra Up service leaves Huddersfield at 1750-ish. How workable that route would be for anything other than a one-off diversion, I'm not sure. At best you'd get one train through in one direction only, each hour. It'd also be very very slow.
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Sheffield based crews sign shf-hud but via wakefield. The overnight airport-sheffield takes that route for retention purposes
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,385
Location
Calder Valley
Here is the 185 at Rochdale. I wonder if 185's have ever been in that bay platform before.
Sam
 

Attachments

  • 20151119_172356.jpg
    20151119_172356.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 171

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,385
Location
Calder Valley
Ah yes, beyond my expertise I'm afraid !

I will try and do it though. I do wonder what the 185 was doing as if went wrong line to Rochdale stayed in the bay platform for about 15 minites and then left. Not sure where ad the line was still blocked. All of this while passengers where still aboard!
Sam
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I will try and do it though. I do wonder what the 185 was doing as if went wrong line to Rochdale stayed in the bay platform for about 15 minites and then left. Not sure where ad the line was still blocked. All of this while passengers where still aboard!
Sam

Perhaps it had to move back for a bit while they checked for further instability ? I'm guessing that had it not have been for the broken rail, it might have gone back round the other way.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
Perhaps it had to move back for a bit while they checked for further instability ? I'm guessing that had it not have been for the broken rail, it might have gone back round the other way.

Hadn't it already been diverted due to the broken rail, which is why it was going down the L&Y in the first place?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top