• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

mail trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

adman500

New Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
1
hi all, I want to creaqte a scenario on Railworks about a mail delivery by trains, but I have no idea what locos/wagons are used.

so, Is mail still delivered by train? if so can I ask how, what locos/wagons are used?
and how does the system work, like, start at a mail depot, then deliver at a passenger platform? or would it be a yard? Would there be stops in between?

thank you very much for any info,
Adam
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,578
Location
Macclesfield
Royal Mail use a fleet of fifteen class 325 Electric Postal Units (based on class 319 EMUs) with roller shutter doors which convey “York” trolleys carrying mail (Principally first class post I think?). They operate between dedicated Royal Mail rail terminals located at Willesden, Warrington and Sheildmuir (Glasgow) on the WCML, where cross-dock operations between road and rail are undertaken. There are up to seven trains a day between these three terminals, IIRC, often in twelve carriage formations (Three units coupled together). I’m going to be having a look around the Warrington RDC on Friday, I’ll see if I can glean some additional information!
 
Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
Royal Mail use a fleet of fifteen class 325 Electric Postal Units (based on class 319 EMUs) with roller shutter doors which convey “York” trolleys carrying mail (Principally first class post I think?). They operate between dedicated Royal Mail rail terminals located at Willesden, Warrington and Sheildmuir (Glasgow) on the WCML, where cross-dock operations between road and rail are undertaken. There are up to seven trains a day between these three terminals, IIRC, often in twelve carriage formations (Three units coupled together). I’m going to be having a look around the Warrington RDC on Friday, I’ll see if I can glean some additional information!

I do not think they are based on 319's more like networkers maybe the traction package is from a 319 but the body shell from a neworker
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,578
Location
Macclesfield
I do not think they are based on 319's more like networkers maybe the traction package is from a 319 but the body shell from a neworker
They have many more similarities with 319s than the Networkers: they employ the same traction and control equipment, and the same bogies, as the 319s and the bodyshell used is, AFAIK, the same mark 3 style as that used on the 20m EMU designs (Steel, not aluminium alloy as the Networkers use). Don’t let the Networker style cab ends fool you!
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
They have many more similarities with 319s than the Networkers: they employ the same traction and control equipment, and the same bogies, as the 319s and the bodyshell used is, AFAIK, the same mark 3 style as that used on the 20m EMU designs (Steel, not aluminium alloy as the Networkers use). Don’t let the Networker style cab ends fool you!

Indeed, the Class 325 is basically a Class 319 but with a Networker cab.

When the 319s do get refurbished with air con etc...if Networker cabs got fitted you could fool people in fitting it was a brand new train especially if you change the interior as well.

South West Trains did it with the 455s, :)
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Very little mail is conveyed by rial these days. Twenty five years ago there was a network of Travelling Post Offices, as well as large numbers of parcels and mail trains across the network.

Nowadays, containers of mail are wheeled on and off trains at dedicated terminals as sprinterguy says above.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top