brad465
Veteran Member
I travelled earlier from MDB to Chatham, via Strood, leaving the former at 16:35 and arriving at Strood just before 17:00. The ticket machine was out of service (the only machine at this station), so as I always do if I cannot buy a ticket before boarding, I took a photo in case the evidence was necessary. 
The guard checked tickets, and I asked for a return ticket as I required - he told me he can't sell returns or do railcard discounts on board (I have a 16-25), and the same applied to another passenger next to me, who had the same problem as me. I said I had proof of the MDB machine failure, but he said there was another machine on the other platform. What he said about the machine is a lie. I would have argued a lot better if I had photographs of every last spec of the station, but I didn't so didn't contest beyond this.
I had to pay £7 for a single with no railcard to get there, resulting in me paying another £4.60 for a discounted single to get back later, but if I had been able to buy before this would only have been £4.95.
Can I claim compensation or something for this? At the minimum I'm hoping to complain to Southeastern about this policy in the event of a passenger not being able to buy through no fault of their own, and the fact the guard lied (he had no name badge, but if Southeastern do care about employee work ethic they could I suspect trace him by the service he was assigned on).
The guard checked tickets, and I asked for a return ticket as I required - he told me he can't sell returns or do railcard discounts on board (I have a 16-25), and the same applied to another passenger next to me, who had the same problem as me. I said I had proof of the MDB machine failure, but he said there was another machine on the other platform. What he said about the machine is a lie. I would have argued a lot better if I had photographs of every last spec of the station, but I didn't so didn't contest beyond this.
I had to pay £7 for a single with no railcard to get there, resulting in me paying another £4.60 for a discounted single to get back later, but if I had been able to buy before this would only have been £4.95.
Can I claim compensation or something for this? At the minimum I'm hoping to complain to Southeastern about this policy in the event of a passenger not being able to buy through no fault of their own, and the fact the guard lied (he had no name badge, but if Southeastern do care about employee work ethic they could I suspect trace him by the service he was assigned on).
Last edited: