• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton Airport Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

themeone

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
289
I've just booked and collected a single from East Croydon to Luton Airport Parkway.

It's been a few years since I used Luton Airport, and have now been reminded, via the Luton Airport website, that I should have booked the ticket to "Luton Airport" in order to get the shuttle bus included.

Apparently the bus is only £1.60, so it's not the end of the world, but just wondering if anyone has experience of whether in practice a ticket to Luton Airport Parkway would be accepted on the bus?

Or is there a way I could get the ticket changed as I'm not travelling until Monday?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,508
Location
DTOS A or B
I've just booked and collected a single from East Croydon to Luton Airport Parkway.

It's been a few years since I used Luton Airport, and have now been reminded, via the Luton Airport website, that I should have booked the ticket to "Luton Airport" in order to get the shuttle bus included.

Apparently the bus is only £1.60, so it's not the end of the world, but just wondering if anyone has experience of whether in practice a ticket to Luton Airport Parkway would be accepted on the bus?

Or is there a way I could get the ticket changed as I'm not travelling until Monday?

THE busses have conductors so no you would not be able travel on it, they have ticket pads that they use to sell tickets.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Zero chance of getting the ticket accepted on the bus, as you won't have it then; it'll be swallowed by the gateline.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,749
Location
Yorkshire
I've just booked and collected a single from East Croydon to Luton Airport Parkway.

It's been a few years since I used Luton Airport, and have now been reminded, via the Luton Airport website, that I should have booked the ticket to "Luton Airport" in order to get the shuttle bus included.

Apparently the bus is only £1.60, so it's not the end of the world, but just wondering if anyone has experience of whether in practice a ticket to Luton Airport Parkway would be accepted on the bus?

Or is there a way I could get the ticket changed as I'm not travelling until Monday?

You should be able to get an excess before you start your journey. However as this will cost £1.50 and the bus fare is £1.60 it's up to you to decide if it's worth the hassle.
 

themeone

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
289
I just checked and it seems a single to Luton Airport is the same price as one to Luton Airport Parkway (£13 with network card).

I'm annoyed with myself more than anything. I'll ask at East Croydon tomorrow.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
The excess should be free if the fare is the same, however some clerks are not willing to issue such an excess due to pressure from management and paperwork they have to fill in, so you might have to shop around
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,824
Location
Back office
Apparently the bus is only £1.60, so it's not the end of the world, but just wondering if anyone has experience of whether in practice a ticket to Luton Airport Parkway would be accepted on the bus?

Not a chance. I'm selling tickets tomorrow and Sunday. Should you happen to find me, I'd happily excess it without any quibble.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,749
Location
Yorkshire
The excess should be free if the fare is the same, however some clerks are not willing to issue such an excess due to pressure from management and paperwork they have to fill in, so you might have to shop around

The fares wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for the £13 minimum fare with the railcard. If I'd known about that my advice above would have been different.

The fare to Luton Aiport + the fare to the airport is about the same as fare to Luton Airport (as I said above) without a railcard.
 
Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Joined
16 Apr 2010
Messages
4,234
Location
Reading
Agree that there's no chance of a ticket to Luton Airport Parkway being accepted on the bus; I have rarely seen tickets inspected so closely as they are by the conductors on that bus!
 

themeone

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
289
Glad to report it was all excessed up this morning at East Croydon without any problems, by a very helpful and efficient ticket person.

Thanks for all the advice.
 

drbdrb

Member
Joined
31 Dec 2013
Messages
160
Since the Luton Airport Parkway bus doesn't sell train tickets when travelling from the airport, has anyone tried excessing the 'bus' tickets it does sell, into a train ticket.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Since the Luton Airport Parkway bus doesn't sell train tickets when travelling from the airport, has anyone tried excessing the 'bus' tickets it does sell, into a train ticket.

I suspect that you can't do that, with the ticket sold by a bus company.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,749
Location
Yorkshire
Interesting - knew they used to legally be run by First Northampton, and was wondering what had happened when that operation ended. Presume Govia will be free to "fairly award the contract" to one of their own bus companies from September 14.

I'd assume they can award it to anyone they want, not being a government organisation. Can't think of any handy Go-ahead operations though (nearest I can think of are Central London).
 
Last edited:

Abpj17

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2014
Messages
1,012
who actually awards the contract? the station operator, the airport, or the council?

tbf, it it goes to go via but is free to passengers that's a good thing
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
who actually awards the contract? the station operator, the airport, or the council?

tbf, it it goes to go via but is free to passengers that's a good thing

Govia don't plan to make the service free from what I've read. It's actually planned to be the first bus service outside London to accept Oyster!

The contract used to be awarded by Luton Airport (they awarded it to NCP last) and the bus was free.

First Capital Connect took control of the contracting and gained the ability to introduce a charge in return for a multi-million pound investment in new buses. I presume they cannot award First Essex a contract after 14 September so Govia will have to decide on which of their operations with a bus license should legally run it.
 

Abpj17

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2014
Messages
1,012
Ta - a bit more googling and I've found http://airportfocusinternational.com/new-rail-link-for-london-luton/

"The Airport will be assisting Govia with upgrades to the signage and wayfinding systems in the Terminal building, Luton Airport Parkway and St Pancras International, which will make the journey to and from London Luton easier; as well as simplified ticketing options, such as smartcards, and removing the separate and confusing charge for the shuttle bus to the Terminal building."

not actually sure what that will mean in practice! Not long to find out now...
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top