• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo (West Coast) - passenger experiences

Joined
7 Jan 2019
Messages
536
Location
North West
I used the 0726 Crewe to Euston service yesterday. No seat reservations was chaos but I managed to get a single seat in coach G by the wheelchair space and nobody came to claim it. Seats were ok. No toilets in my coach or AC.

The staff were really annoying and wouldn’t shut up with pointless long rambling announcements.

I would probably avoid them in the future - but can see why they do well when the Avanti at 0732 wanted £130 and Lumo was £30…
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,095
Location
North Yorkshire
1M00 and 1S02 cancelled due to unit faults today. How long is it likely to be before the 5th unit appears, because clearly running four diagrams with four units is ... not resilient.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,321
I used the 0726 Crewe to Euston service yesterday. No seat reservations was chaos but I managed to get a single seat in coach G by the wheelchair space and nobody came to claim it. Seats were ok. No toilets in my coach or AC.

The staff were really annoying and wouldn’t shut up with pointless long rambling announcements.

I would probably avoid them in the future - but can see why they do well when the Avanti at 0732 wanted £130 and Lumo was £30…
Yes, hope they sort the seat reservation displays. What worries me is when Lumo is cancelled and ticket acceptance.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,656
Location
Greater Manchester
On Lumo today from Preston to Motherwell.

It pulled into Preston 15 minutes early so there was quite the wait for our path (had to wait for late Avanti to overtake).

The Train Manager (or whatever they're calling them) actually scanned my Railcard, I think they're the first person to have ever done that (and I travel a lot).

Sat in D53 since that's where my reservation is, isn't too busy, I have my pair to myself at least for now (and most of the rest of the carriage is 1 person per pair), also one or two pairs free at least for now.

Leg room is ok, head rests quite low for me but seems about the height of the rest of the people in the carriage so I guess I can just file that under tall people problems.

WiFi is functional, don't need a toilet but not heard of any out of use.

Catering trolley is staying at Coach G apparently due to Staff shortages (is the train manager staffing it?), but I don't need anything from the trolley anyway.

Got the Down Fast through Lancaster, there's a late running Pendolino 4 minutes behind us so hopefully we'll get some rare track or a loop to let it overtake, although it's stopping at Penrith so maybe not.
 

Solweytracker

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2020
Messages
53
Location
UK
I notice on realtimetrains today that the 1S01 10.19 Euston -Stirling service operated by 222602 was running ca 25 mins late in Scotland and got terminated short at Motherwell at 15.58 'due to a problem with the train'. The return 1M03 17.09 Stirling - Euston service which does not normally call at Motherwell was correspondingly cancelled from Stirling and instead started from Motherwell at 1741-ish so as to maintain the normal 1M03 path subsequently.

Has anyone experience of what arrangements are made for southbound Lumo passengers awaiting at Stirling/Larbert etc when such very short-notice curtailments occur? The Motherwell train was activated on TRUST at 16.01.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,333
Location
Glasgow
I notice on realtimetrains today that the 1S01 10.19 Euston -Stirling service operated by 222602 was running ca 25 mins late in Scotland and got terminated short at Motherwell at 15.58 'due to a problem with the train'. The return 1M03 17.09 Stirling - Euston service which does not normally call at Motherwell was correspondingly cancelled from Stirling and instead started from Motherwell at 1741-ish so as to maintain the normal 1M03 path subsequently.

Has anyone experience of what arrangements are made for southbound Lumo passengers awaiting at Stirling/Larbert etc when such very short-notice curtailments occur? The Motherwell train was activated on TRUST at 16.01.
From Lumo's JourneyCheck:

'Customers may use there [sic] tickets on ScotRail services to travel to Glasgow where connections can be made towards London Euston using the 18:40 Glasgow Central - Euston service operated by Avanti West Coast.
Customers are also welcome to join the train at Motherwell and use ScotRail services to travel to Motherwell.'
 

Solweytracker

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2020
Messages
53
Location
UK
Answering: Has anyone experience of what arrangements are made for southbound Lumo passengers awaiting at Stirling/Larbert etc when such very short-notice curtailments occur?

From Lumo's JourneyCheck:

'Customers may use there [sic] tickets on ScotRail services to travel to Glasgow where connections can be made towards London Euston using the 18:40 Glasgow Central - Euston service operated by Avanti West Coast.
Customers are also welcome to join the train at Motherwell and use ScotRail services to travel to Motherwell.'
Thanks. These curtailments have happened a few times already. For cross-border passengers suddenly having to chop and change at Motherwell (handy for Polmadie repairs/replacement?) is better than Avanti's notorious dumping of passengers at Preston I suppose. However it seems not without travel risks for the non-savvy, faint-hearted, inaccessible or infirm passengers from Stirling/Larbert.
 

Skiddaw

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2020
Messages
482
Location
Penrith
I find myself strangely happy when I see a Lumo WC (no pun intended) train passing by :) . I'm seeing one most mornings at the moment as there's one goes through Clifton southbound at the point I'm returning from my morning run.

One thing I don't understand- why do they start/finish at Sterling (rather than Glasgow for example)? Just seems a bit random to me (though obviously very useful if you're heading to or from Sterling).
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
I find myself strangely happy when I see a Lumo WC (no pun intended) train passing by :) . I'm seeing one most mornings at the moment as there's one goes through Clifton southbound at the point I'm returning from my morning run.

One thing I don't understand- why do they start/finish at Sterling (rather than Glasgow for example)? Just seems a bit random to me (though obviously very useful if you're heading to or from Sterling).
*Stirling. ;)

I'm guessing either it's less congested/more paths available for Lumo and/or potentially cheaper for them.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
One thing I don't understand- why do they start/finish at Sterling (rather than Glasgow for example)? Just seems a bit random to me (though obviously very useful if you're heading to or from Sterling).

Presumably so it doesn't look as "primarily abstractive" as it probably really is.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,398
One thing I don't understand- why do they start/finish at Sterling (rather than Glasgow for example)? Just seems a bit random to me (though obviously very useful if you're heading to or from Sterling).
There is platform capacity there to terminate a train, and allow it to dwell until it returns south. As others have noted, it can be claimed to be offering services to an unserved market by going somewhere that direct trains don't currently link. In practice, the service is just a way to extract revenue from the existing operations at Crewe, Preston and Carlisle.
 

Tetragon213

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2024
Messages
703
Location
West Midlands
I have accidentally subjected myself and my poor mother to journeys by Lumo twice (one bout of suffering each).

My mum didn't even board. They cancelled her train, and gave massively conflicting information regarding ticket acceptance, and she ended up like a sardine on an Avanti service.

I did board, and because of their delays I missed my connection back to Birmingham. Had the devil's work trying to get them to cough up my compensation.

Never again.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
I travelled on Lumo West Coast recently for the first time and wasn’t impressed. The air conditioning wasn’t functioning in half of the carriage, the selection of catering items on board was poor and the trolley only came around once just after Motherwell and then wasn’t seen again for the rest of the journey, (from Scotland to London).

The reservation screens showed incorrect information as apparently they don’t have access to ‘the software’, but were insisting passengers sat in their reserved seats (how can you tell which ones aren’t reserved and for what duration?) which led to arguments between passengers in the carriage. The toilets were dirty and the PA system was bust, producing a high-pitch screechy noise every time one of the ambassadors used it (which was a lot).

Passengers were bringing large volumes of luggage and pushchairs on board and were just shrugging when staff were telling them they shouldn’t. The luggage racks were completely inadequate.

Are the 222s known to restrict phone signal? I had no, or very little data connection for the whole journey. It’s not usually that bad on a Pendolino.

First Group really need to review their PA policy too. Why do they need to tell everyone ‘the doors are now being closed for your comfort and safety’ at every station? Is that not a given when you're in most moving vehicles?

When using Lumo East Coast last week, I literally heard ‘see it say it sorted’ said six times from on board staff just between Newcastle and Edinburgh, and there’s only one intermediate stop at Morpeth. It was complete overkill and took away from the enjoyment of the journey.
 
Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
The reservation screens showed incorrect information as apparently they don’t have access to ‘the software’, but were insisting passengers sat in their reserved seats (how can you tell which ones aren’t reserved and for what duration?) which led to arguments between passengers in the carriage. The toilets were dirty and the PA system was bust, producing a high-pitch screechy noise every time one of the ambassadors used it (which was a lot).
I completely agree with you in regards to Lumo's ongoing problem with them not being able to show reservations properly on their West Coast trains. I think they should make their trains unreservable until they've sorted it out and also have at least one carriage completely unreserved.

To insist that passengers sat in their pre booked seats when the reservation system isn't working is just asking for trouble as you describe yourself. Surely Lumo should be trying to promote a so called less stressful travel experience on their trains. It seems like they're doing the opposite and getting several very basic elements of their onboard services (e.g. Catering, Reservations, Toilets and Announcements) rather badly wrong.

First Group really need to review their PA policy too. Why do they need to tell everyone ‘the doors are now being closed for your comfort and safety’ at every station? Is that not a given when you're in most moving vehicles

Yes I hate unnecessary announcements and I seem to remember there being far too many on my only trip with Lumo so far, from Preston to Nuneaton a couple of months ago.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,321
I have used them twice, the first time the service was cancelled from Stirling south to Preston and the service started from Preston, ticket acceptance on TPE but not Avanti.

Yes, the seat reservation system is a pain, it reminds me of some European services with reservations not marked. On Lumo, cant be too many passengers without a seat reservation.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
Last week when I was on a Spirit of Scotland, loadings north of Carlisle weren't that much, no issues getting seats (edging more towards the refurbished former 1st class coaches as those have USB sockets). When I did the 12;10odd from Stirling towards Euston on Friday it only really got busy at Preston in coach C, filling up at Milton Keynes. Friendly staff, although the 'please stand clear, the doors are about to close' announcement did get tiring in Scotland (no doubt some drivers dislike having to do that announcement)

Reminds me of Grand Central where Sunderland trains can empty out at York & Bradford trains can empty out at Doncaster/Wakefield.
 

37069

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2025
Messages
274
Location
Cumbria
Crossposted from the Lumo rolling stock thread -

A friend travelled on 1S01 1019 Euston - Stirling on Thursday 10th.

222601 to Crewe, where it was swapped for 222604 off Central Rivers due to a complete lack of working toilets onboard.

My friend was not complimentary about the whole experience. Back to Avanti next time.

Can't say I'll be hurrying to use Lumo in a hurry at this rate.
 

HighlandStorm

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2024
Messages
177
Location
Inverness
I’m due to travel the full Stirling to Euston on the 12:22 departure this lunchtime. I’ve been advised that the accessible toilets are out of use - not a direct problem for me but means no working toilet in my coach and only 3 think for the whole train?

Yesterday’s 12:22 was started at Motherwell and this mornings Nothbound was 31min late at Lockerbie. Earlier updates noted delay due a problem with the train!

Does Lumo have a cut off time where they automatically pull the northern stops if the delay is longer than the scheduled turnaround time at Stirling?

Will report back on progress / state of the unit. Due to travel in coach G.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

On time departure from Stirling and got a coffee before Larbert! A few got on at Stirling, coach G not good for seeing if anyone boarded at stations before Motherwell due to short platforms.

Inner geek was triggered by the bank transaction for the coffee being the trains head-code! :o
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1562.jpeg
    IMG_1562.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:

HighlandStorm

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2024
Messages
177
Location
Inverness
So it was an on time arrival in Euston (RTT states 1 minute early). I briefly tried the seats in coach E - I know experiences of seats are highly personal - but I’d definitely look to book in coach G again which has the new seats. I’d rate the seats in G as better than LNER standard class, I’d not consider doing Inverness to London in Standard Class on an Azuma!

The question is - would I do it again? To be honest, I was expecting a nightmare or no train at all, so expectations were starting from a low base. I was travelling from Inverness to London and left Inverness on the Highland Chieftain with a first class advance to Stirling. Overall I welcome the Lumo service, it’s an additional option for travel from the North of Scotland that might hopefully keep LNER advance fares in check a bit !

Since the Highland Chieftain added stops south of York it has become harder to find attractively priced full journey advances! Changing to a later LNER limited stop service would have given me a first class advance significantly cheaper than travelling all the way on the Highland Chieftain, but since that involved a change anyway decided to try out Lumo (Avanti Standard Premium advances from Edinburgh were not yet on sale when I booked).

Overall I paid £69 for the whole Inverness to London journey including LNER 1st class from Inverness to Stirling. So I’d definitely consider it again - it would depend on price vs 1st class on LNER and Standard Premium on Avanti.

Onboard the trolley made frequent passes, but there are no sandwiches etc available. The WiFi was usable for email and some use of Google docs/sheets without any drama. It was certainly better than my experience with Avanti WiFi on Pendolinos - but that may have been due to a fairly quiet train.

If your travelling alone and want peace to work, seat G4* is a single seat but without a window - but you can get enough of a view out of adjacent windows to see where you are without varying light issues affecting laptop screen. If your prone to travel sickness it might not be good though!

As it was the train was quiet enough that I could have moved to a table seat and hogged it the whole way - seat reservations were not displayed, so it wasn’t possible to know if another seat had a future reservation or not! Is the 1222 Southbound from Stirling a quieter service or is the bad publicity since I bought my advance vastly suppressing demand?

As the train wasn’t busy there were no luggage problems. The overhead racks are useless though, I had to partly unpack my modest backpack to fit. This could be a nightmare for ScotRail! They seem to be aggressively sloped - a flatter design would give more space - is ScotRsil planning to modify the overhead racks.

What was noticeable was the tapered sides impact your space quite noticeably vs a Mark III. The coach felt smoother and quieter cruising at higher speeds on the WCML then slower speeds stopping and starting for the Scottish stops.

Unless you had 2+1 seating throughout which would need longer trains, there is ultimately no way the class 222s won’t be a significant downgrade on the Inter7city HSTs. That said, if Lumo could extend one of their Stirling services to Inverness, I’d consider doing the full trip in coach G. I’d need to be paid to do that in standard class on an Azuma!

* Just a note to add, there is only one seat back table at seat G4 - the seat back on the aisle seat in front does not have a fold down table.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
Does Lumo have a cut off time where they automatically pull the northern stops if the delay is longer than the scheduled turnaround time at Stirling?

I suspect it's more down to crew breaks, a late arrival into Stirling could result in a late departure back to London if the driver requires their break.

I agree the overhead luggage racks are hopeless, especially compared with the more modern Hitachi units.
 

Top