Am I reading that right, off duty at KGX at 2300 and back on shift at 0830, including travel to and from the hotel, an evening meal and breakfast?
Isn't that breaking hidden though. If you book off 23.00 you shouldn't book on until 11.00 am . Or am I reading this wrong.
I'd just like to point out that LNER drivers who lodge at Inverness and Aberdeen can have less than 12 hours rest, and also Eurostar drivers who lodge at Paris or Brussels can also have less than 12 hours rest. I think the agreement in both cases is 9 hours.
Here's an 'East Coast' lodge from a few years ago:

GBRf also have an 11 hour rest minimum when lodging I believe.
Having a minimum of 9 hours rest would actually limit the time away from home, and in particular the dead time spent twidling your thumbs in a hotel.
I would also ponder whether the Lumo example of starting work at three in the morning is better from a hotel room to yourself and would perhaps give you and your family a less disturbed sleep? It also looks like there may possibly be more evenings at home being able to watch TV with a partner, and more mornings having breakfast with them aswell?
How many of us train drivers are on earlies all week, but can't do anything in the evening because we have to go to bed so early? Or are actually at work on lates and can't watch TV with a partner then either.
It looks like a combination of absorbing very early starts and late finishes with a hotel stay, with reasonable start times like 0800 for a whole day duty, might actually be pretty good!
Is it a 4 day week at LUMO?