• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo-only ticket (almost) same price as Any Permitted

endecotp

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
346
I have ended up buying a Lumo-only ticket by mistake. This is for the return half of an Edinburgh-Poole trip.

For 40 years I always bought "super saver returns" for this sort of journey. Now that's not possible and what I should do is to buy "super offpeak singles" for each half.

Somehow I got it wrong this time. On the forum's ticket site I entered dates for the outward and return journeys and selected "Flexible tickets only" in the "Filter" box. But then, I somehow I managed to buy a £124.40 "super offpeak single" for the outward journey and a £124.00 "Lumo & SWR Only Anytime Day Single" for the return. I guess I didn't notice the 40p difference and thought both tickets must be the same type.

This is annoying. I wanted "flexible" tickets, but a "Lumo-only" ticket very much isn't flexible, is it?

I am inclined to refund it - which I think I can do, for a small fee, right?

<rant over>
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
But they all do it.
Avanti-only fares are marginally cheaper than “any permitted” on many flows.
Essentially designed to trick people who look for the lowest price to buy them.
10p difference has been mentioned before.
Originally the Avanti-only fares were inherited from Virgin-only and were a significant saving. Then the pricing managers got hold of them.
For example, for me, Avanti First Day Return Wilmslow-Manchester is now £21.50 versus £21.70 “any permitted”. So for 20p I deny myself the opportunity of using other trains, one of which also has first class sometimes. I used to use the Avanti-only fare when it was more like £11, but not any more.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

They (Avanti, Lumo, etc.) used to be happy with receiving 100% of the TOC-only fares, versus a percentage of the “any permitted” fare which would have been less. Then they got greedy by trying to get 100% of a fare which was almost the same as the “any permitted” fare.
 
Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,815
They (Avanti, Lumo, etc.) used to be happy with receiving 100% of the TOC-only fares, versus a percentage of the “any permitted” fare which would have been less. Then they got greedy by trying to get 100% of a fare which was almost the same as the “any permitted” fare.
Using Lumo as an example, if they were to receive around 30% of the Any Permitted fare why would they simply price the Lumo only fare at that level when they know that the small number of people buying a flexible fare will actually happily pay 95% of the Any Permitted fare in return for the TOC only restriction? It's a commercial decision that is far from being greedy. Having said that, pricing it at 99.6% of the Any Permitted fare doesn't make sense to me as the differential is so small that most people who actually understand what they are buying will choose the one that nets Lumo the least money.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
Using Lumo as an example, if they were to receive around 30% of the Any Permitted fare why would they simply price the Lumo only fare at that level when they know that the small number of people buying a flexible fare will actually happily pay 95% of the Any Permitted fare in return for the TOC only restriction? It's a commercial decision that is far from being greedy. Having said that, pricing it at 99.6% of the Any Permitted fare doesn't make sense to me as the differential is so small that most people who actually understand what they are buying will choose the one that nets Lumo the least money.
Of course not, I agree, but charging 99.6% of the Any Permitted fare, or 99% in my example, is pretty objectionable to me - I know what they're up to but many people don't. Charging 50% of the Any Permitted, as Virgin used to do (approximately) made sense and was a reasonable compromise - Virgin got more money and I accepted the restrictions.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Which retailer did you purchase the ticket with?
This forum. Which isn't responsible for pricing the fares, just for selling the tickets.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,556
Location
LBK
Of course not, I agree, but charging 99.6% of the Any Permitted fare, or 99% in my example, is pretty objectionable to me - I know what they're up to but many people don't. Charging 50% of the Any Permitted, as Virgin used to do (approximately) made sense and was a reasonable compromise - Virgin got more money and I accepted the restrictions.
Virgin's competition over most of their market offered a substantially inferior product.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,646
Location
Merseyside
Then the OP will need to check the refund/exchange policy to see if they can change refund and rebook if they want the Any Permitted fare.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
Virgin's competition over most of their market offered a substantially inferior product.
In my case, a Pendolino first class seat (with no free food or drink, fair enough) versus a 323. For a similar price (especially before 09:30). Now the Pendolino may be refurbished but the Avanti-only fare is too much.
 

endecotp

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
346
Then the OP will need to check the refund/exchange policy to see if they can change refund and rebook if they want the Any Permitted fare.

I was hoping someone here would tell me that...

Following the refund instructions, they want me to take before-and-after photos having destroyed the paper tickets. I'd like to know how much of a refund I'm going to get before doing that!

(The site also doesn't have an obvious way to indicate that it's only the unused return tickets, bought in the same transaction as the outward tickets, that I want to refund. I guess there must be a way to do that?)
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
From https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/terms-and-conditions
7. Admin Fees For Refunds

The maximum administrative fee is capped at £5 per booking reference. For ticket values exceeding £10, the admin fee remains at £5. In cases where the ticket value is less than £10, the administrative fee is set at half of the ticket value. Additionally, a minimum administrative fee of £1.25 has been introduced.

Ticket ValueAdministrative Fee
Over £10£5
£2.50 - £10Half of Ticket Value
£1.30 - £2.45£1.25
£1.25 or underNon-refundable
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,293
But then, I somehow I managed to buy a £124.40 "super offpeak single" for the outward journey and a £124.00 "Lumo & SWR Only Anytime Day Single" for the return. I guess I didn't notice the 40p difference and thought both tickets must be the same type.

This is annoying. I wanted "flexible" tickets, but a "Lumo-only" ticket very much isn't flexible, is it?
Does potentially allow you to get from Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross for 1044 (midweek) using Lumo, whereas It probably wouldn't be until 1201 using a direct LNER train, this due to the time restrictions applicable on the Super Off Peak Single.
 

endecotp

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
346
Does potentially allow you to get from Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross for 1044 (midweek) using Lumo, whereas It probably wouldn't be until 1201 using a direct LNER train, this due to the time restrictions applicable on the Super Off Peak Single.

Right; also northbound there is quite a long afternoon / early evening period when the "super off peak single" isn't valid for Kings Cross departures. This isn't much of a concern for me in this case, and I didn't look at when the Lumo departures are compared to that period.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The site also doesn't have an obvious way to indicate that it's only the unused return tickets, bought in the same transaction as the outward tickets, that I want to refund. I guess there must be a way to do that?

Or not. That's a peculiar omission. Oh well, I've uploaded images of only the return tickets and I'll see what happens. (Well, I've uploaded them after I've worked out that to make it work I need to convert the .heic files from my iPhone to .jpeg!)
 
Last edited:

Top