If they've ever loaded a wheelchair in to the middle of a Pacer then they're even worse than I thought.
Never have them put a wheelchair user in the middle of a pacer , i dont even know if that would be possible
If they've ever loaded a wheelchair in to the middle of a Pacer then they're even worse than I thought.
The underlying problem is the pressure to squeeze more and more seats into a coach. When intercity seating was largely at tables there was lots of space between the seat backs.
With franchises now being micro managed by DfT bean counters there isn't much hope for common sense.
Spot on. I normally sit by the window and put my bag next to me. I'll never knowingly stop someone else from sitting down. It really doesn't bother me. The bad eggs are the ones who sit by the aisle and put their bag by the window. Proper odd bods. They would obviously rather someone stand than have to sit next to someone.
Some flight operators have no weight restrictions on cabin baggage, while train operators warn not to place heavy items in the overhead racks as it may fall out and cause injury.
Question is how do you define which route is which type. Southport-Manchester Airport could probably be classed as a commuter route at 8am in January, but at 10am in July it'll probably be carrying a lot of people with suitcases.
I regularly travel on Southern services down the Brighton main line and I can't say they're a bother very often. When I do stand, I stand more often from Clapham Junction to East Croydon than from ECR to Gatwick Airport.What do people think of holidaymakers who take the Heathrow Connect instead of the Express or a Southern 377 instead of a GatEx? I often find they are going to the airport with heavy luggage and on those trains its hard to find space.
Why do people place their baggage next to them, yet there are passengers standing?
We travel extensively by rail, in this country, but perhaps more so in Europe.
Our suitcases are more or less standard size, that we tug along the street on their little wheels.
Whenever we board a train, and have our bags, the first thing we look for is what we term the "baggery", usually easy to find mostly at the end of a carriage, though I have found some in the centre. Otherwise often we can fit them between seats, usually behind one of the tables.
Over head racks are most often not deep enough to take a suitcase, though I did manage to get mine on one once - not a good idea if people are sat underneath:roll:
Suppose one excuse might be that people are afraid another passenger will walk off with their bag when they leave the train - in other words pinch it. Would this be enough reason to block up a seat, when there are standing passengers. Not in my opinion.
I realize train managers have a difficult job, but why not politely put a request over the PA requesting customers not to do so?
So it seems that the bottom line is that if the TOC has failed to provide appropriate space that the CoCs make clear is within the bounds of 'normal', it's a free for all choice to:
put luggage on a seat or on the floor between seats preventing their use
or
block a gangway so that movement is difficult along the coach
or
ignore the notices and obstruct the doors, which can be a safety hazard
If the train only has a driver, there's not much anybody can do about it unless other passengers start to gang up against either the passenger with luggage or the objector.
Mmmm...., given the many incidents of fractious behavior on trains often discussed here, I can see that certain routes (Thameslink for example) being a potential hotspot for trouble. Hopefully, there will be some space in the 700s that doesn't block access by disabled passengers.
What do people think of holidaymakers who take the Heathrow Connect instead of the Express or a Southern 377 instead of a GatEx? I often find they are going to the airport with heavy luggage and on those trains its hard to find space.
If we were to go back to when stock such as the SWT Desiros was brand new - has the luggage used by most people changed in the intervening period? What I'm thinking is that nowadays most cases are deeper, and wheeled, and just don't fit the racks. When you do see someone actually able to use an overhead rack for a case it looks unusual nowadays, but there's really quite a bit of room up there...
But were the racks any use when the design was done, or were they just too late. Same with Electro/Turbostars, Voyagers or Pendolinos, did the train spec for the overhead racks on all these rolling stock types just fail to match what was happening in the luggage market?
A solution I found to this problem on Greater Anglia is to travel 1st class. The other day I had enough seats for me, my umbrella and my briefcase. Another fellow had a seat for his golf clubs.
It must have been golf day at head office.
What do people think of holidaymakers who take the Heathrow Connect instead of the Express or a Southern 377 instead of a GatEx? I often find they are going to the airport with heavy luggage and on those trains its hard to find space.
I am one of those people who makes for a window seat next to an aisle sitter who obviously doesn't want the window seat taken! I just LOVE it!
What do people think of holidaymakers who take the Heathrow Connect instead of the Express or a Southern 377 instead of a GatEx? I often find they are going to the airport with heavy luggage and on those trains its hard to find space.
.From my observations at Swansea it appears that 175's are more problematic for bikes but they have far better luggage space.
As another poster has said, there's a conflict between seats and luggage space. Ideally there should be two luggage areas on every coach, so that everyone would find one close by.[
I am one of those people who makes for a window seat next to an aisle sitter who obviously doesn't want the window seat taken! I just LOVE it!
To be fair some people might want to sit in aisle seat because either:
1. They're claustrophobic
2. They're getting off the train while it'll be very busy and don't want too difficult a job trying to alight.
What do people think of holidaymakers who take the Heathrow Connect instead of the Express or a Southern 377 instead of a GatEx? I often find they are going to the airport with heavy luggage and on those trains its hard to find space.
Then they should readily stand up and let another passenger take the window seat rather than grumble at/tut/try to ignore a polite request.
To be fair some people might want to sit in aisle seat because either:
1. They're claustrophobic
2. They're getting off the train while it'll be very busy and don't want too difficult a job trying to alight.
Not a problem on any trains that I use regularly but a serious one on buses which all seem to have had the interior layout designed by midgets.3. They're tall and the only way to squeeze into the tiny seats is to have your legs at an angle out into the aisle.
3. They're tall and the only way to squeeze into the tiny seats is to have your legs at an angle out into the aisle.
But there's no excuse for being grumpy about letting someone in (or blocking the window seat with luggage).
Not a problem on any trains that I use regularly but a serious one on buses which all seem to have had the interior layout designed by midgets.
Although I suppose that being so exceptionally tall at 5ft 10 I shouldn't expect special treatment.
Oh yes - there are some trains where anyone sitting on the seat next to me will have to cope with a knee in their side as my legs just physically will not fit in straight. I'm not even 6 foot, so I'm scarcely a freak anomaly!6'1" isn't exceptionally tall, but I still struggle with modern(ish) commuter stock (365s and 321s on my route), both in terms of legroom and shoulder space (my shoulders overhang 2+2 seating, let alone 2+3.
I don't expect special treatment. But I will take an aisle seat - and if we stop, I will remove things from the flip-down table and fold it up, or move my knees up, to give a clear sign that the window seat is available.
6'1" isn't exceptionally tall, but I still struggle with modern(ish) commuter stock (365s and 321s on my route), both in terms of legroom and shoulder space (my shoulders overhang 2+2 seating, let alone 2+3.
I don't expect special treatment. But I will take an aisle seat - and if we stop, I will remove things from the flip-down table and fold it up, or move my knees up, to give a clear sign that the window seat is available.