• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lowland Sleeper Route Sunday 30th March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
I know that this has been asked before but I couldn't find the thread.

I am booked on this coming Sunday night's Lowland Sleeper and note from the timetable that it doesn't make any of the normal West Coast line stops. It stops at Carstairs after Edinburgh which leads me to conclude that it is routed via the East Coast main line.

Is this conclusion correct?

If so how does the train get from Euston to the ECML?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alastair

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2010
Messages
484
Location
S Devon
I know that this has been asked before but I couldn't find the thread.

I am booked on this coming Sunday night's Lowland Sleeper and note from the timetable that it doesn't make any of the normal West Coast line stops. It stops at Carstairs after Edinburgh which leads me to conclude that it is routed via the East Coast main line.

Is this conclusion correct?

If so how does the train get from Euston to the ECML?

Thanks

Yes,you are correct. Via ECML:


http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G66716/2014/03/30/advanced
 

dannypye9999

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2013
Messages
392
If so how does the train get from Euston to the ECML?

Thanks

I think there is a junction near Wembley central where it diverts or either via Birmingham New Street then reversing along through Derby and Sheffield to join the ECML at Doncaster
 

andythebrave

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2009
Messages
570
Location
England
Indeed, it usually takes a good hour to hour and a quarter to make it to Finsbury Park!

Sounds just about the right amount of time to partake of haggis and neeps with a double shot of scotch before settling down for the night!
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,718
Location
Scotland
Indeed, it usually takes a good hour to hour and a quarter to make it to Finsbury Park!
It's somewhat annoying in the reverse direction though if you have an early start in London. You get to within spitting distance of Euston and then travel up to Wembley and sit there for 30 to 40 minutes!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Why not just send it from Kings Cross?
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
Platforms too short, confusing for passengers and probably not enough capacity to cope with both Up trains in the morning.
 

38Cto15E

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2009
Messages
1,119
Location
15E
Last year I was on the Highland when it was the Wigan closure, it seemed very strange sitting in the lounge car at Wembley yard for half an hour surrounded by various types of wagons, oh, and also Wembley Stadium.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Though, that does beg the question - was the East Coast sleeper (can't remember the name) shorter than the current Lowland sleeper?

I seem to recall this has come up before, although I can't think where! The issue is that those services weren't so long, (nothing with 3 portions I don't think, plus mark 1 rather than mark 3 stock), but also London Terminals weren't so busy, so having a train overhanging the platform and fouling another platform line wasn't such an issue as it would be now.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Sounds just about the right amount of time to partake of haggis and neeps with a double shot of scotch before settling down for the night!

Make sure you do the honourable thing and annoy the noisy partygoers in Chalk Farm as you travel through Primrose Hill. Throwing haggis at them then watching them trying to retaliate from 3-4 yards down could be fun. :lol:

(To anyone who doesn't get that, it was clearly meant as a joke.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top