• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lowland Sleeper-chance of a single berth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

91104

Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
122
After working on the railway for 26 years and having safeguarded travel facilities I've never actually got round to travelling on the sleeper to Scotland. So I'm thinking of heading up to Glasgow on the Lowland Sleeper using my travel facilities but the thing that has always put me off is the thought of having to share a berth with a complete stranger. So I'm wondering how busy these trains get and what my chances are of getting a berth to myself? Or would it be better just to fill in one of my free travel boxes and paying for a First Class berth supplement to guarantee me a berth to myself? Any advice welcome.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DuncanS

Member
Joined
16 May 2017
Messages
277
Location
Falkirk
Its pot luck.

I've had berths to myself and had to share with people I've never met before - never had a bad share experience beyond someone who snored, its more awkward around dressing and washing than being problematic.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,837
Location
West of Andover
Depends what day you go up (as some nights are quieter than others), and it is pot luck if you end up sharing a berth.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
The only time I have ever gone STD on the sleeper has been when I have been someone else I know, but I cannot remember a time when there was much room left, I generally ask the host how busy it is and they generally say very busy. Whilst I know you can pick and choose your berth (to a point) do you this they assign those with no preference all the bottom bunks first then start filling in the top ones or do you think they start filling the rooms as they go?
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,851
Location
Epsom
I'm pretty sure the reservation systems fills up the train from one end inwards ( within each destination / origin, obviously ).

When I booked myself for the autumn this year a couple of months ago, all the reservations to that date were in one carriage, assuming the berth selector was accurate - which it clearly should be.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top