• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Low Moor proposed railway station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyHudds

Member
Joined
17 Jun 2012
Messages
601
Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
Aye, the X25 does it in 38, the other times I checked were at rush hour, the 51 minutes journey time, but yeah I would like to think if there was any kind of train I would expect it to be quicker than the bus.

Besides the X25 runs only once a day!!

Yes, but most journeys outside the morning peak manage 40 on the way in. I suspect on the way out many have to wait at Cleckheaton Bus station.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
The local paper here is today reporting the start of works at the Low Moor site by replacing a footbridge (presumably the one the station is to be built around), so it looks like all systems go.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....on_track_as_trucks_roll_on_to_site/?ref=var_0

Edit: Re the remark on the bridge, my brain must still be asleep as I think I was thinking about the bridge close to the proposed Apperley Bridge station, so I'm not sure where this replacement bridge is in the article...
 
Last edited:

eastdyke

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
2,058
Location
East Midlands
The local paper here is today reporting the start of works at the Low Moor site by replacing a footbridge (presumably the one the station is to be built around), so it looks like all systems go.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....on_track_as_trucks_roll_on_to_site/?ref=var_0

Edit: Re the remark on the bridge, my brain must still be asleep as I think I was thinking about the bridge close to the proposed Apperley Bridge station, so I'm not sure where this replacement bridge is in the article...

Great news - but not quite all systems go!

Reading the article NR still needs formal planning permission and to buy the land.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
Great news - but not quite all systems go!

Reading the article NR still needs formal planning permission and to buy the land.

True, although if the land is currently held by administrators they will probably be looking to sell quickly to get any creditors paid off, so they must be fairly confident if they are planning works on site. As far as I understand it, planning permission shouldn't be too much of an issue as both local residents & the council are keen for the station to go ahead. And with the Westfield development now underway in the centre, it might help attract some early traffic from the station (well, within 6-8 months of it opening anyway).

I was a bit surprised to see it's only going to start with 1tph, I wonder which service will serve it? One of the Manchester services, or the Huddersfield?
 

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
Yes, but most journeys outside the morning peak manage 40 on the way in. I suspect on the way out many have to wait at Cleckheaton Bus station.

And as somebody who actually uses that bus service sometimes they will frequently get to Leeds particularly the stops nearest the Railway station at least 10 min's quicker than the stated bus station arrival time.

Personally I think the Low Moor station would be most use for trains towards Manchester if a Manchester train actually stops there.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I was a bit surprised to see it's only going to start with 1tph, I wonder which service will serve it? One of the Manchester services, or the Huddersfield?

At a guess, it'll be the Huddersfield as they won't want to slow down the Manchester stopper any more than it already is. Towards Huddersfield, the train sits at Halifax for the best part of 10mins, so presumably there's a bit of slack in the timetable to add a stop at Low Moor. Not sure about the other direction though, and I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it could be the Huddersfield that calls Westbound, with the Manchester local picking up the calls Eastbound.

I still think they'd be better building a big car park with access off the M606 and calling it 'Bradford Parkway' though.
 
Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
At a guess, it'll be the Huddersfield as they won't want to slow down the Manchester stopper any more than it already is. Towards Huddersfield, the train sits at Halifax for the best part of 10mins, so presumably there's a bit of slack in the timetable to add a stop at Low Moor. Not sure about the other direction though, and I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it could be the Huddersfield that calls Westbound, with the Manchester local picking up the calls Eastbound.

I still think they'd be better building a big car park with access off the M606 and calling it 'Bradford Parkway' though.

I think you are probably right, looking at the eastbound services there's usually at least 13 or 14 minutes between the Huddersfield - Bradford and the next service from Man Vic on leaving Halifax. So currently plenty of room for an additional halt at Low Moor I would think.

It does surprise a bit that no thought has been given to providing a a parkway from the M606/62, but perhaps if the station gets good patronage when it opens, especially with people travelling into Bradford then it might become a possibility in the future?
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
I still think they'd be better building a big car park with access off the M606 and calling it 'Bradford Parkway' though.

I totally agree with you.

But, to state the obvious, it will then require much more than one service per hour and more than just a 2-car pacer, 150 or 155!
 
Joined
29 Sep 2013
Messages
163
From May the current Bradford to Victoria stopper calls only at Rochdale after Todmorden the same as the limited stop service (although it continues to call at Sowerby Bridge and Mytholmroyd). Manchester stopping services will be routed through Brighouse and to Todmorden (Burnley/ Blackburn from December).

When the whole emphasis in timetable changes of recent years has been to speed up Bradford to Manchester times by cutting stops, it would seem strange to add a new one at Low Moor.
 
Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,475
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
From May the current Bradford to Victoria stopper calls only at Rochdale after Todmorden the same as the limited stop service (although it continues to call at Sowerby Bridge and Mytholmroyd). Manchester stopping services will be routed through Brighouse and to Todmorden (Burnley/ Blackburn from December).

What type of services will then serve Littleborough ?
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,475
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
By the sounds of it, just the 'via Dewsbury/Brighouse' service from Leeds along with the Todmorden curve service that starts in May (albeit only using the curve to reverse until December).

If that is so, it is a disgraceful state of affairs. Littleborough is not exactly a hamlet and over the years, has had new residential properties erected in its environs. Is it now proposed that car or bus travel should suitably increase from there ?
 
Joined
29 Sep 2013
Messages
163
Given the state of the roads you would hope not. In fact, Littleborough has come out relatively well from the changes over the years, not seeing the tph cuts seen by Sowerby Bridge, Mytholmroyd and Walsden. From May the service reverts to a clockface half-hourly service to Manchester and it is one of the few stations to get 2tph on Sundays.

From 2016 the Burnley service will apparently (according to Lancashire anyway) be speeded up and will stop at Tod, Littleborough and Rochdale only. I dont know how the second stopping service will then be provided for but assume Littleborough will then get 3tph.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,475
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Given the state of the roads you would hope not. In fact, Littleborough has come out relatively well from the changes over the years, not seeing the tph cuts seen by Sowerby Bridge, Mytholmroyd and Walsden. From May the service reverts to a clockface half-hourly service to Manchester and it is one of the few stations to get 2tph on Sundays.

From 2016 the Burnley service will apparently (according to Lancashire anyway) be speeded up and will stop at Tod, Littleborough and Rochdale only. I dont know how the second stopping service will then be provided for but assume Littleborough will then get 3tph.

Let us not forget that Littleborough was never subject to any station closure programme in the days of the Beeching cuts and other closures, unlike Walsden.
 
Joined
29 Sep 2013
Messages
163
... and Smithy Bridge, but I'm not sure if history has that much relevance to 2014 timetables. I'm concerned about the effect of the new calling patterns at all stations. While its regrettable that Littleborough is losing direct services to Halifax and Bradford outside rush hours, I'm not sure if is going to have the dramatic effect on passenger numbers you claim.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
... and Smithy Bridge, but I'm not sure if history has that much relevance to 2014 timetables. I'm concerned about the effect of the new calling patterns at all stations. While its regrettable that Littleborough is losing direct services to Halifax and Bradford outside rush hours, I'm not sure if is going to have the dramatic effect on passenger numbers you claim.

I would imagine that the greater volume of passengers will head in the Manchester direction from Littlebrough / Smithy Bridge, with them being in the GMPTE, so you may well be right.
 

CalderRail

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2013
Messages
284
I received this from BRUG:

Subject: Low Moor Station


Good Afternoon! Good News! Rejoice!

The WYITA has released the funds for Low Moor station on the 11th March and the planning application went live this morning on Bradford Council's website: http://www.planning4bradford.com/online-applications/

The application reference is 14/01083/FUL. You can view all the documents of the proposed station on the Bradford Council website.

Please can I ask members and Rail Future and associated groups to write to Bradford Council (with the above reference) or email planning.applications@bradford.gov.uk, in support of the station development.

I shall be forwarding BRUG members a group response for approval but would also request individual letters in support as well.
I have, this morning, given an interview with the Telegraph and Argus about the station development and will be speaking with YP/YEP tomorrow.

James Vasey
Chair, Bradford Rail Users' Group


EDIT: Apologies, it was up when I got the email earlier this evening, but apparently Bradford Council's planning server has gone down. Hope it comes back soon.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This link now works, FWIW
 
Last edited:

timetabler

New Member
Joined
3 Apr 2013
Messages
2

bluenoxid

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
2,667
If anyone is local to Low Moor, or Bradford in general, can I ask to login to Bradford's planning website: (Apologies for the long link but it is direct: http://www.planning4bradford.com/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N2A44RDH0DX00 )
in support of the re-opening of the station. We need all the support we can. The closing date for letters of support is this Wednesday, 23rd April 2014.

Many Thanks

Great to see loads of support for the station

However, can someone tell me what the BTP are doing?

Their response seems to suggest that they have no idea of what they're trying to do. It really pushes the point that the rail industry does not communicate. BTP should be sitting there with a supporting document highlighted key secure design aspects that may cause contention, possible additions and key points. This just seems to suggest that the whole process has passed them by.

1. Railway Station design
Evidence of a good design of the physical environment at the planning stage of a new build railway station and car park can reduce the opportunity for crime by making it harder for offenders to operate. The design should reflect the recommendations of the Secure Station Scheme and the station operator should be encouraged to work towards achieving this accreditation status. Details of the scheme can be found at www.dft.gov.uk/securestationscheme

The time to discuss this is with the project team before the plans are submitted. Not at this stage. The thing that I would be asking is what should the rail operator be doing. A website link is a bit wooly. They really need to be saying what is required rather than this website gives some more info.

Sadly, I'm quite disappointed with this response.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top