• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Low cost alternative to left luggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
How can they encourage people to visit the city and at the same time make it difficult or impossible to do so?

It is neither difficult nor impossible to visit a city that doesn't have left-luggage facilities at a railway station.

If you had luggage with you, then there is a fair chance that you were either checking into or checking out of a hotel. The real question is...

Why were you staying in such a pit of a hotel that doesn't offer concierge facilities?

Even if you were there for work, there are few businesses where you cannot smile and drop off your luggage with reception or security staff for a few hours.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Victoria Coach Station is a reasonably priced London alternative for left luggage. I must admit however that recently I've just checked out of a hotel (A Novotel) and asked to leave it there which they've been more than happy with.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
 

urbophile

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2015
Messages
2,482
Location
Liverpool
It is neither difficult nor impossible to visit a city that doesn't have left-luggage facilities at a railway station.

If you had luggage with you, then there is a fair chance that you were either checking into or checking out of a hotel. The real question is...

Why were you staying in such a pit of a hotel that doesn't offer concierge facilities?

Even if you were there for work, there are few businesses where you cannot smile and drop off your luggage with reception or security staff for a few hours.

I was en route from a conference some miles away, to home. I wasn't staying in a hotel: I was simply there for a few hours. I can't believe that is a rare occurrence. Anyway, I might have been staying in a hotel (or with friends) a long way from the city centre.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,093
Was speaking to a member of staff at the victoria left lugguge one and they say they make an absolute fortune.... the fees are a total rip off.

As there is no competition they can continue to do so. I believe they have a contract with network rail which says they will be the sole left luggage outlet on the station. Totally wrong.
 

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
I was en route from a conference some miles away, to home. I wasn't staying in a hotel: I was simply there for a few hours. I can't believe that is a rare occurrence. Anyway, I might have been staying in a hotel (or with friends) a long way from the city centre.

That's the thing. It *is* a rare occurence.

By the time you discount everyone who has a free alternative, the volume of people who are prepared to pay for the service renders it uneconomical.

Roughly how many people a week do you think transit through Bristol carrying heavy luggage and decide that they want to kill a few hours in the city? Then using that figure divide the cost of providing the service, say, £1500 a week...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Was speaking to a member of staff at the victoria left lugguge one and they say they make an absolute fortune.... the fees are a total rip off.

As there is no competition they can continue to do so. I believe they have a contract with network rail which says they will be the sole left luggage outlet on the station. Totally wrong.

Their income may be interesting...

How much do you think it costs to run with paying a London living wage and leasing a unit at a prime London station?
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
Roughly how many people a week do you think transit through Bristol carrying heavy luggage and decide that they want to kill a few hours in the city?

There was a suitcase shop in Bristol last year near the entrance to Broadmead near the bus station that offered left luggage. There didn't seem to be much luggage left, and they weren't selling many cases. Think it's shut now.

Having dragged a case on wheels round Stonehenge last year, much to everyone's amusement, the lack of such facilities at Salisbury is to be deplored! :D
 

urbophile

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2015
Messages
2,482
Location
Liverpool
That's the thing. It *is* a rare occurence.

By the time you discount everyone who has a free alternative, the volume of people who are prepared to pay for the service renders it uneconomical.

Roughly how many people a week do you think transit through Bristol carrying heavy luggage and decide that they want to kill a few hours in the city? Then using that figure divide the cost of providing the service, say, £1500 a week...


As I said, this was some years ago. Maybe Temple Meads has caught up with other city terminals and now has left luggage facilities. But if it is so unprofitable how come other cities manage to provide them? Liverpool Lime Street does, despite being in the heart of the city centre (unlike Bristol) and adjacent to several hotels.

I'd be interested to know if Bristol Temple Meads does now have a left luggage office.
 

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Unless things have changed Durham is another example of a place I would spend a few hours in between London & Scotland if someone had the gumption to provide left luggage near the station- the nearby Raddison may be worth an ask if you have an account or loyalty card with Rezidor group hotels.
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
What I never understood, is why the Lost Property office at Temple Meads didn't do Left Luggage too? As they have everything in place (staff, storage, etc) why not branch out?
 

Cavan

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2017
Messages
278
The newsagents near the US embassy do a big trade in looking after bags and mobiles for people getting visas.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top