• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loud Compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
How many trains are there left that have noisy compressors? The 315s are the only ones I can immediately think of although I haven't been on one for a few years so don't know if the same type is still used. The 321s also used to have a fairly noisy compressor although a different type to the 315 but I haven't heard that recently.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
The ones used on the 313s are noisy, been told they can drown out a PA announcement!

Now I have a query about PEP compressors, can anyone tell me if the same compressor is used for all the PEP class ie the 313s, 314s and 315s?
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I love noisy compressors! It is the authentic sound of EMU travel IMHO. Or even better on DEMUs, where the noisy compressor vies with the 4SRKT engine to drown each other (and everything else) out!
 

tom1649

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
990
Though not strictly main line stock, the Metropolitan Line 'A' Stock has extremely loud compressors.
 

GospelOak117

Member
Joined
3 May 2009
Messages
215
Location
Eastern Region
How many trains are there left that have noisy compressors? The 315s are the only ones I can immediately think of although I haven't been on one for a few years so don't know if the same type is still used. The 321s also used to have a fairly noisy compressor although a different type to the 315 but I haven't heard that recently.

315's still churn up a good racket, perhaps more so in old age, but IMO 455's are the best for an old sound though with their reconditioned 4SUB and HAP traction motors and compressors; i'd strongly recommend a ride on those. :)

I'm unsure as to whether 456's also use old SUB motors/compressors.

Though not strictly main line stock, the Metropolitan Line 'A' Stock has extremely loud compressors.

Oh yeah, those too :D
 
Last edited:

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
315's still churn up a good racket, perhaps more so in old age, but IMO 455's are the best for an old sound though with their reconditioned 4SUB and HAP traction motors and compressors; i'd strongly recommend a ride on those. :)
Do the 321s still have the London Underground noise type compressors? I've not heard a compressor on one of them for years as I said above.
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
Rubbish. Cl315's are quiet compared to a Cl317 compressor, though Cl321's are quieter still. The inertia in a Cl317 main compressor is enough to send vibrations into the cooling rack and set the whole coach buzzing.

O L Leigh
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
I love noisy compressors! It is the authentic sound of EMU travel IMHO. Or even better on DEMUs, where the noisy compressor vies with the 4SRKT engine to drown each other (and everything else) out!

Going off topic briefly, I'd really recommend you get over to Paris and try the MS61 stock on RER Line A on the tunnel sections between La Defense and Gare de Lyon. They have to be the most musical units ever built - just make sure you ride in a driving motor; especially try to be in the 3rd carriage from the front or back because that's coupled next to another DM on the next unit. And while you wait at the stations, make sure you're at the back of the platform near the tunnel mouth.

Now that is EMU noise!:D Highly enjoyable!:D



{ No idea about the compressors on them though! }
 

43167

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
1,021
Location
Keighley
In the 308's yorkshire days, normals used to think the compressor was the engine!!. Sure its been the same everywhere.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
313s have really loud compressors and I like the noise - can't wait for my first trip on them for a while soon! :P

(idiot question: what are the compressors used for?)
 

The_Stig

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2009
Messages
364
(idiot question: what are the compressors used for?)

They provide air to units that is used for many different purposes: Brakes, doors, air suspension, contactors, pantograph, sanders etc [dependant on what unit uses air for of course].
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top