• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Los Angeles to El Paso (Amtrak)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKCK

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2025
Messages
11
Location
Rainford
Hi Members

I am exploring the option of travelling one way from Los Angeles to El Paso (Texas) in June 2025.
I have looked at the Amtrak website and can see the service and costs. Currently for a private room for 2 people they are asking around $600.
Was wondering whether these costs are fixed or do they offer discounted tickets at any point like in the UK.
Are there discounts for International Travelers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,141
Location
Wilmslow
If you want a private room, a sleeper, it’s generally expensive.
Seats are large and comfortable if you want to save money, in the past I’ve had no problem sleeping in them, Oakland-Los Angeles-New Orleans-New York-Chicago-Denver.

When I travelled on my own I took the risk of not having the adjacent seat occupied, and to be fair it was only once occupied, no problem. If there are two of you this won’t be an issue. But it’s not a private room, of course.
 
Last edited:

JKCK

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2025
Messages
11
Location
Rainford
If you want a private room, a sleeper, it’s generally expensive.
Seats are large and comfortable if you want to save money, in the past I’ve had no problem sleeping in them, Oakland-Los Angeles-New Orleans-New York-Chicago-Denver.

When I travelled on my own I took the risk of not having the adjacent seat occupied, and to be fair it was only once occupied, no problem. If there are two of you this won’t be an issue. But it’s not a private room, of course.

Thanks for this .. I think we will definitely take a private room .. do you know whether prices change or is it fixed from the outset?
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
Thanks for this .. I think we will definitely take a private room .. do you know whether prices change or is it fixed from the outset?
Amtrak uses dynamic demand-based pricing, so the fare charged can and does change.
 

doc7austin

On Moderation
Joined
31 Dec 2023
Messages
481
Location
not disclosed
USD 600 is even cheap in my eyes. Book it asap. Amtrak uses dynamic pricing for rooms/berths, so prices will rise.
 

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,871
Location
Rugby
The price can also go down but if it goes down after you book you can do an online chat with Amtrak who in my experience will refund you the difference.
 

doc7austin

On Moderation
Joined
31 Dec 2023
Messages
481
Location
not disclosed
It is unlikely that the prices for high season around June will come down a lot - it is more likely that they are going up.
 

JKCK

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2025
Messages
11
Location
Rainford
Thanks everyone .. i will book sooner then. I didn't know how the price point was but it appears to be reasonable.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
Thanks everyone .. i will book sooner then. I didn't know how the price point was but it appears to be reasonable.
For the whole trip Los Angeles to New Orleans a bedroom for two starts at US$1660, so US$600 seems reasonable.

If you took it as a proportion of the distance (El Paso is about 40% of the whole route), that would be $680.

The only 'discount pass' I'm aware of is a NARP (National Association of Railroad Passengers) membership which gives 10% of the basic ticket price (not including accommodation supplements), membership is $35 sole membership/$50 family membership for a year. You'd have to calculate if the saving was worth it though.
 
Joined
4 Sep 2015
Messages
240
Location
Lehigh Valley PA USA
The only 'discount pass' I'm aware of is a NARP (National Association of Railroad Passengers) membership which gives 10% of the basic ticket price (not including accommodation supplements), membership is $35 sole membership/$50 family membership for a year. You'd have to calculate if the saving was worth it though.
Note that NARP has been renamed the Rail Passengers Association
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top