• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for Guidance on opportunities in the Rail industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
1 Feb 2018
Messages
132
Hi All

First time post in this section of the forum. Yesterday I turned 30, and for the last year I have been considering what I really want out of life. I have concluded I would like to work in an industry that I am passionate about and make a difference in, the rail industry.

Whilst I see many great resources on here for qualified and trainee guards and drivers, there doesnt seem to be as much information available for office positions.

I am a Project Manager who has worked predominantly in Telecomunications and Compliance for the last 6 years or so, managing Leased Line instalations and Radio Frequency (RF), Electromagnetic (EMC), Safety (electrical) and Restriction on Hazardous Substances (RoHS) certification.

Can anyone think of any roles that may suit my profile. I was thinking about possibly TOC planning departments, train manufacturers, network rail project management. I am also fluent in Spanish and open to working abroad, possibly in positions where speaking English may give me an advantage.

It's hard to know what roles are available on the railway without having a specific engineering background, so if anyone has worked in rolls or knows of job titles that I should consider researching, I'd be very much interested to learn about them.

Many thanks in advance!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthernStar

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2011
Messages
44
Location
London
Network Rail and TFL offer project management graduate/apprenticeships programs, there’s also assistant project management positions available at Network Rail you can directly apply for. If you are thinking long term development you’re generally better of pursuing the graduate or apprenticeship scheme, as those employees tend to get fast tracked. Some of the larger TOCs like GTR, First group and Arriva all have commercial graduate schemes, which I believe is open to graduates of any degree background.
 
Joined
1 Feb 2018
Messages
132
Thank you very much Southern Star! Unfortunately, I dont actually have a degree as I started my own business at 18, sold it to my friend at 23, and have been working in tech for the last 7 years. I'm not sure if the market has changed, but it does seem most jobs want a degree these days, and 12 years of practical experience isn't as valued, hopefully I'm wrong!

I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that if I really want to enter the rail industry, I'll have to take a significant wage cut to force my way in. For added information, I was earning between 40-50k the last 4 years, and estimate I'd need a minimum of 32k to cover rent, expenses and maintain a non frivolous lifestyle with at least a 2 week holiday a year.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
Sadly it's more difficult to get a "professional services" role in the UK if you don't have a degree, or recognised undergraduate level equivalent qualification. I personally don't really think that's justified to the extent it's felt, but it is often true. It's even the case for those who do have an undergraduate degree, sometimes they would be out-competed purely on another candidate having an advanced degree.
 

SouthernStar

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2011
Messages
44
Location
London
Surely your experience in PM would be transferable to the projects undertaken by Network Rail, Rail Delivery Group or TFL? You wouldn’t need to be a graduate if you apply directly to their project management jobs. Degrees are only required for entry level jobs. No one is interested in your degree once you’ve established yourself.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,035
Location
London
Your best best is to keep an eye on the Network Rail vacancies page for vacancies - they are often hiring project managers and project sponsors in a range of areas.
 

TSG

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2020
Messages
208
Location
Somewhere in the South of England
Surely your experience in PM would be transferable to the projects undertaken by Network Rail, Rail Delivery Group or TFL? You wouldn’t need to be a graduate if you apply directly to their project management jobs. Degrees are only required for entry level jobs. No one is interested in your degree once you’ve established yourself.
This.

You have Project Manager experience in technical projects and you are passionate about the business so you're halfway there already. Go and read up on CDM if you haven't had much to do with it (not clear from your post how much you've managed at the heavier end of constructing stuff), CSM-RA, and the way the railway is funded. See if you can get into this https://news.railbusinessdaily.com/network-rail-launches-free-pace-awareness-e-learning-course/ if you're really keen.

Go and apply for the Project Management roles.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top