• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for Diesel haulage home! (form Hungary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newshy37

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2012
Messages
179
Next year I will travel back from Hungary on the train. I have been fortunate enough to do this twice already. Once From Budapest to Krakow for a few days then to Poznan for a few days then to Koln and home via Brussels. The second time was Budapest to Munich then ICE to Koln and home via Brussels.

Inspired by reading LouJ's website I fancy trying to get a bit of diesel haulige on the way home as well as visiting some nice places. I'm looking at sleepers again to Munich then to Landau on the pair of 218s but that's as much as I know. Does anyone know of any good moves to work my way back home. I quite fancy the trip along the banks of the Rhine so perhaps from Lindau to F'ahfen then from there to Ulm (what works this route?) Ulm to Frankfurt then along the Rhine. Maybe home via Holland this time.

I will have my boys with me this time Who both like the trains but I can't really do too many convouted moves but stop overs would be nice and a bit of foreign culture would do 'em good, me too for that matter. Any long diesel hauled routes still going?

Thanks, Dave.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chester025

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2008
Messages
1,066
Does anyone know of any good moves to work my way back home. I quite fancy the trip along the banks of the Rhine so perhaps from Lindau to F'ahfen then from there to Ulm (what works this route?) Ulm to Frankfurt then along the Rhine.

Lindau - Ulm are mostly DB 218s.

Any long diesel hauled routes still going?

As well as the aforementioned Munich - Lindau EC's with 218s they also IC's on the Hamburg to Westerland line. This is a nice run with the delight of crossing the Hindenburgdamn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburgdamm
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
You can do Linz-Munich via Muhldorf on an OBB diesel loco hauled service, runs twice a day. You can also do Lindau-Basel (change at Friedrichshafen) on dmus
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
also, Bratislava-Vienna OBB services are diesel loco hauled
 

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
218s are rubbish. If you want noise then you need to be on IC247 out of Budapest to Ljubljana and wait for the decibels to erupt when you reach Pragersko...

If you do go the usual route make sure you stop in Slovakia or Czecho to sample the elderly 240/242 electrics, probably the most interesting service train 'sparks' left in Europe.
 

Newshy37

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2012
Messages
179
I used to think 47s and first generation DMUs were rubbish but would kill to have 'em back:D Tell me more about "IC247" please.
 

Newshy37

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2012
Messages
179
Hoping this works....... click me

EDIT: sorry, should have said this is for IC247.



Surely that would only work from Zalaegerszeg to Boba? with electric forward from there? A diesel over Ajka would be a nice way back from the lake.:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Happy if it's not though :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top