• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for Chiltern Trains seating plans Clubman 168?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbox

New Member
Joined
6 Jun 2024
Messages
4
Location
Birmingham
Hello, thanks for letting me join. I’ve been searching online for a seating plan for Chiltern Trains which I cannot seem to find anywhere.

I’ve recently started travelling 3 x per week to Marylebone from Birmingham Moor St and although seats can’t be reserved I’d like to sit in a similar area each time I travel.

I find that the setup of the seating seems different in each carriage, I wondered if there is a pdf available somewhere or plans of the seating / door / luggage compartments etc.

I’ve attached a photo of yesterday’s train which I think is a 168? and had three carriages.

Thanks in advance for any help.


send a picture to a phone online free
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamie_

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2006
Messages
39
Don't think they exist, some do for other Turbostar Operators, this is CrossCountry, only major difference is that there is single seats by the door to the drivers cab (My preferred seat when on Chiltern)

XC Turbostar - https://sites.create-cdn.net/sitefiles/19/3/4/193478/turbostar_seat_plan.pdf

If you are travelling Chiltern then go for the Loco-hauled and sit in the old Business Zone coach (near the London end) as that is ex-first class seating! The current weekday runs are these:

1H14 06.14 SBJ - MYB
1H17 07.15 BMO - MYB
1H41 11.45 BMO - MYB
1H45 12.45 BMO - MYB

1R17 09.02 MYB - BMO
1R21 10.02 MYB - BMO
1J49 17.07 MYB - SBJ
1J53 18.07 MYB - SBJ
 

Redbox

New Member
Joined
6 Jun 2024
Messages
4
Location
Birmingham
Thank you @jamie_ this is very helpful.

I have been lucky in the past as ended up on the Loco hauled train and had sat in the business class carriage, after checking online if there was an upgrade charge. Always feels like a small win, when it’s almost empty all the way. I just didn’t know how to check which times they were running so you’ve answered that for me.

I’ve also tried your preferred seat near the driver, which I agree is a good choice.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
Thank you @jamie_ this is very helpful.

I have been lucky in the past as ended up on the Loco hauled train and had sat in the business class carriage, after checking online if there was an upgrade charge. Always feels like a small win, when it’s almost empty all the way. I just didn’t know how to check which times they were running so you’ve answered that for me.

I’ve also tried your preferred seat near the driver, which I agree is a good choice.
If you haven't heard of the site, you can also use Realtimetrains to check the on the day allocations of most (though not quite all) Train Companies. Chiltern is a participating operator.

Here is the 1002 Marylebone to Moor Street listing for example, showing a loco-hauled set:

1R21 1002 London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street​

Departing today​

Chiltern Railways

The Business Zone carriage on these sets is declassified, meaning Standard Class tickets are valid without further charge, Chiltern having abolished the surcharge during COVID and never re-instated it.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Also these two brochures by leasing company Porterbrook, should show the different 168 layouts between them. Some 168s are ex-170, hence why I've included the 170/171 document.

168
(PDF) (1A ed.). Derby: Porterbrook Leasing Company. September 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 July 2015. Retrieved 13 December 2022.

170/171
(PDF) (1A ed.). Derby: Porterbrook Leasing Company. September 2013. Archived from [COLOR=var(--color-progressive,#36c)]the original[/COLOR] (PDF) on 23 November 2015. Retrieved 13 December 2022.
 
Last edited:

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
There are four subclasses of 168, and the seating layout differs between them. The 168/1s and 1682/s have a basically similar layout. The 168/0s have several differences, particularly in the way the seats are arranged in the non-driving vehicle ends. The 168/3s were originally specified by another TOC and have a different arrangement again, and indeed a different type of seat. I'm not aware of any current resource for seat plans. They have not generally been produced because Chiltern have never done seat reservations.
 

Mogz

On Moderation
Joined
20 May 2019
Messages
636
Although the seating appears a bit random and haphazard, hats off to Chiltern for ensuring that the seats do, for the most part, line up with the windows.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top