• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for advice please from any currently employed commercial guards working for SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazlas10

Member
Joined
17 May 2018
Messages
11
Hi there. I am currently going through the recruitment process for commercial guard positions at SWR. I've passed the assessment centre and am awaiting an interview date. I have been in my current job for 16 years and am sick to death of it and looking for a change in career. It will obviously be a big decision for me to make should I be successful and be offered a position so I would most appreciate some advice please from any existing commercial guards so I can make a decision armed with as much information as possible. I would like to know the following:

1. What is a typical day? I'm guessing for £36k a year there must be a bit more to the role than walking up and down the train checking tickets.

2. What are the shift patterns/hours/start finish times etc

3. How long does it take to reach the top salary and what is the actual monthly take home pay after deductions? This is particularly important for me to know as I will have financial calculations to consider given that I will be taking a sizeable pay cut initially. I believe that you start on £22k whilst doing initial training which I believe takes 4 months but I don't know what the salary increments are after that and I could really do with knowing when I will be on the full amount.

4. Does the company offer flexible working? Although I dislike my current job, the flexible working arrangements they offer is very valuable as it means I can work around my wife's hours meaning we don't have to pay for childcare. If SWR don't offer this, it may be a deal breaker.

5. How much extra is typically earned from ticket sales commission?

6. Are you on your feet all day or do you get sufficient time sat down taking breaks etc.

Would appreciate any help please. Many thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top